Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Camping necessities

(8 Posts)
TheMitfordsMaid Fri 02-Sep-11 11:43:34

I haven't camped since I left the Girl Guides (but I did have my camping badge!) and we have decided on camping holidays for next year. Having browsed this section, we have decided on a bell tent and I am now putting together a list of the things we need so that I can start buying bits over the winter.

Are sleeping bags a necessity or will duvets do? We have air beds, and will use these, but I wondered if damp is a problem when camping? I have vivid memories of rolling up our bedding in Guide camp, is this advised in a bell tent too?

What else do I need? I don't want bunting or tea light holders, i'm looking for the camping necessities for a family with two young boys (5 and 2) that will make us comfortable and safe.

Many thanks!

WoofToYouTooLady Fri 02-Sep-11 11:47:21

corkscrew

battery fairy lights/chilli lights for a bit of funkyness

wind up torches

sharp knives

lighter rather than matches

sleeping bags are less bulky to transport but if your little one likes to snuggle with you then a duvet is easier to wiggle them in

cooking stand with adjustable legs

TheMitfordsMaid Fri 02-Sep-11 12:00:37

Ooh, good list. Love how you've prioritised the important thing first. Thanks woof.

JeelyPiece Fri 02-Sep-11 12:03:13

fold-up table for wine glasses eating and drinking, playing cards etc.

pack of cards!

dustpan and brush as all manner of crap will blow into your tent and mess with its loveliness

Smallstuff Fri 02-Sep-11 12:05:15

My top tip is a large trug... You know those plastic bucket things with handles. We use it as a way of carrying washing up to and from the washing up area and we also bath the kids in it at night in the tent. One kettle of hot water and some cold added, bubble bath and flannels. Soooo much easier than trying to shower them! In the car it holds all the boots etc. It is by far the most useful camping thing known to man!!
Also a plastic picnic type jug. Which saves trying to fill water bottles, kettles etc from a heavy cumbersome water carrier ( which you need too!).

WoofToYouTooLady Fri 02-Sep-11 12:10:26

oh a trug, that is GENIUS Smallstuff

IloveJudgeJudy Fri 02-Sep-11 12:16:22

Put a plastic-backed picnic rug on top of the airbeds. That will keep you warmer.

Smallstuff Fri 02-Sep-11 13:21:55

Woof... Mine is a fetching pale blue.... Best four quid I ever spent...hated playing jenga with the washing up in a small bowl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now