Talk

Advanced search

first ever night camping

(9 Posts)
unfitmummy Fri 02-Sep-11 08:09:14

we've just bought ourselves a tent and want to have a night camping to try it out. our kids are 6 and 3 and this is will be their first ever night camping, and i've not stayed in a tent since DofE when i was in school so its a bit of an adventure!

please can someone reccommend a nice campsite in the south (say max 2 hours drive from salisbury) to try out our tent for the night this month?

IloveJudgeJudy Fri 02-Sep-11 12:25:54

There's a lovely site in Wimborne called Wilksworth Farm which has underfloor heating in the very clean toilets (I'm telling you this as it was luxury to us when we went for a very cold weekend last year). the rest of the site is lovely, too smile. It has a small shop, I think, an unlicensed cafe, a play area and a play field, too.

I would also not recommend going so far from home (2 hours) for your very first camp in case you forget something or need something that you didn't think you would. I hope you have fun.

unfitmummy Fri 02-Sep-11 12:43:21

thanks, that place looks lovely. i am more than happy to take your advice and go closeby for our first camp! i'm surprised by how much it costs to go camping actually - this place will be £24 for the four of us per night, and it says we have to go for two nights so that's £48 for an unplanned weekend away. not exactly expensive, but for some reason i thought it would be more like £10 per night. maybe if you go to a rubbish site it is but i like the sound of very clean loos!

any other places reccommended?

IloveJudgeJudy Fri 02-Sep-11 13:48:49

I think the area around the New Forest are the most expensive sites in the country! Bonus is that you get lovely countryside and fantastic places to visit. £24 is not too bad. I suggested it because it's a site that won't put you and the family off, I hope. If you love the first night then you can downgrade, but if you have a horrible night on a dirty, not well-organised campsite that may well put you off forever.

There's a site near Arundel called Ecclesden Farm that costs, I think £15 per night including everything, but the loos, etc are not a patch on Wilksworth, but it's still a lovely site. My SIL who's not too keen on camping, really didn't like the loos, but realised it's just one site as she's been on ones with many more facilities.

Abgirl Fri 02-Sep-11 13:51:50

If you want something a bit cheaper we stayed at Merkins Farm which is near Bath last weekend. Facilities are basic but would be fine for 1-2 nights, lovely tea rooms and a nice pub a short walk away. Lots to do in the local area too.

HTH

unfitmummy Sat 03-Sep-11 21:42:51

ilovejudgejudy - we've decided not to go with Wilksworth Farm this time as we have to do 2 nights and we want to start with just one! but i have bookmarked the site for us to try another time so thanks.

i'm now looking at one near weymouth called sea barn farm, anyone stayed there before?

Beamur Sat 03-Sep-11 21:44:49

No tips for location - but just to say it can get very cold at night camping, even in summer, so make sure you take really warm clothes to sleep in - maybe thermals if you have them. I had a hot water bottle with me on our last trip (2 weeks ago) and was grateful to have it!

dreamingofsun Sun 04-Sep-11 11:29:27

i'd try your tent out in the back garden first to make sure its got all the right bits and you know how to put it up. ours was missing the instructions and i know of friends who were missing key parts.

hels71 Sun 04-Sep-11 12:47:00

Try brokerswood near Westbury.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now