Talk

Advanced search

dogs on campsites- how to avoid?

(15 Posts)
silverten Mon 29-Aug-11 21:46:18

I'm fed up of carefully selecting sites which have rules about keeping dogs on leads at all times, only to turn up and find that no one pays any attention to them and there are hounds running free all over the place.

I don't want to have to get arsey with people about it. I don't want to have to go and tell teacher. Such things are not conducive to relaxing camps. I just want to have a nice weekend relaxing and letting my DD toddle about a bit round my tent.

I've tried searching for sites that ban dogs completely, but haven't found an efficient way of doing it. Does anyone know anywhere on T'internet that will find you sites that keep the mutts out/properly under control?

Failing that can anyone recommend nice dog-free sites please?

SalomeD Tue 30-Aug-11 06:12:10

UKCampsite their search facility allows you to easily find sites which do not allow dogs

biscuitmad Tue 30-Aug-11 22:17:35

I know what you mean. I dont like it when dogs poo outside your tent and the owner is no where to be seen.

silverten Wed 31-Aug-11 08:56:51

Actually have never had a problem with poo, but have seen a few dogs pissing on tents and I'm damned if I'm going to have mine stinking. But mainly I don't want dogs near my DD, and campsites are one of the rare places we go to where she can toddle outside a little more freely than usual.

Thansk Salome: had not noticed the list of dog-free sites UKCampsite have. However they don't let you do a search of these- I was hoping to be able to do that as each page takes an age to load for me and reading them all one by one is a bit laborious. I think I will email the site and ask if they might consider adding that term to their Advanced Search.

smith1 Wed 31-Aug-11 09:13:18

Silverten, I am totally with you. DD is terrified of dogs, and we usually end up next to a tent with 1! I love DCs having the freedom of the campsite, but she won't leave our side if dogs are loose or on 'stretchy' leads blush

hels71 Wed 31-Aug-11 09:58:45

I am so glad i am not the only one with this issue! All the campsites we have been to have signs saying dogs must be kept on leads...but I have lost count of the number of selfish people who think that does not apply to them...
We were on site in June and my DD was terrified by a rather scary large dog hurtling at her and nearly knocking her over.....
I have decided that next time we have an issue i will go and speak to the campsite people.......
It's our holiday too..and we have a right not to be bothered by dogs...I would never choose a site where they were allowed to raom free.

DontCallMeBaby Wed 31-Aug-11 12:23:41

Campsites on working livestock farms quite often have no-dog rules.

lisad123 Fri 02-Sep-11 18:43:25

we have a dog and it drives me mad when people dont keep theirs on lead! Their dogs run up to mine and he goes mad! I always yell at owners who dont pick up after their dogs, so not on.
I hope you find somewhere

SparklyCloud Fri 02-Sep-11 18:55:53

Would love to know the names of these camp sites you all know of with dogs running free!!My dogs would love to go to a site where they are allowed to do this grin

Seriously though, I have never seen one dog off the lead on a site - obviously, having dogs, I always check with the site owner before hand that they accept dogs - in every single case they have said' yes as long as kept on lead at all times'

lisad123 Fri 02-Sep-11 19:01:24

well this week at holmsey in new forest, there were a few off lead, but mainly most dogs are on lead when we see them when camping

silverten Fri 02-Sep-11 21:48:53

I think you have missed my point, SparklyCloud. I pick sites where the dogs are supposed to be on the lead at all times, but in several cases they haven't been- and no one did anything about it. As I said I don't want to have to spoil my, or anyone else's weekend, by complaining about it- I would rather just go somewhere where it isn't a problem to start with.

I would like to know where you have been camping where all dogs were actually on leads, I honestly would. I found a great site in Yorkshire this year where this was the case, and it was great. No problems with wandering hounds and everyone having a nice time.

SparklyCloud Sat 03-Sep-11 22:42:01

Rivendale, Ashbourne all the dogs on leads.
Redbank Farm in Carnforth nr morecambe all on leads, in fact owner went round all the time to check just this, as its a working farm.
In fact there's an idea, if you picked working farms there would be no dogs off the lead.

MrsMc82 Sun 04-Sep-11 18:47:09

Just been to wood nook in grassington with our dog and he plus all other dogs were on leads, didn't see any of them roaming free at all, they have a dog walking area where they are allowed off but this is the onl place and is fully enclosed perhaps people repect the rules a bit more as there is somewhere you can go with them..... Anyway would def recommend, you shouldn't have problems there with rouge hounds..... Hth

Deepdale in N. Norfolk
Clippesby Hall in E. Norfolk
High Sand Creek in N. Norfolk
Barn Farm in Derby

All places I have camped wih my dog, I have never seen an off lead dog at any of them.

SparklyCloud Sun 04-Sep-11 22:01:48

WhereTheWildThingsWere, same here... never seen an off lead dog when camping...
<apart from my little houdini grin>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now