Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Euro camp

(15 Posts)
maypole1 Mon 29-Aug-11 17:45:49

just booked 5 days at euro camp very nervous, never done anything like this before have a 11 and 6 year old

Please could you tell me your experience of them

MrsCog Mon 29-Aug-11 17:57:34

We used to go to Eurocamp all the time - it's brilliant! I'm 12+3 with DC1 and absolutely can't wait to take them to EC!

The accomodations are generally well equipped and there's lots for children to do.

What are you nevous about? If I know I might be able to give you more useful information!

maypole1 Mon 29-Aug-11 18:47:32

Not sure really are the families friendly?
Will dd 11 be able to make friends
Thinking of getting a two way radio so he can have a wonder around the camp - good or bad idea

I get very bad holiday anxiety
How is driving on French roads

What will we eat err

Are the mobile homes clean

Should we take our bikes

When we went on honey moon I spent the whole time at the airport crying in the loo.

seaweedhead Mon 29-Aug-11 19:02:50

We went to a eurocamp in France earlier this year with 1.5 yo ds. It was brilliant- very family friendly- well equipped accommodation (and yes very clean) and great facilities on site. There were a lot of other families there, most of them British, so I'm sure your DC would make friends quite easily.

There was a shop on site selling essentials (fresh bread in the morning etc) plus a takeaway selling pizza, burgers etc. and a restaurant. We mostly ended up going to the supermarket and buying salad, bread, cheese or having a barbecue.

Where we were there was bike hire available but I don't think they have this on all sites.

DP did the driving and didn't have any problems with French roads- just took it slowly until he got used to driving on the right.

MrsCog Mon 29-Aug-11 19:31:28

We always made friends on our Eurocamp holidays - in fact one of them became a pen pal for years! There are normally various activities on, so that will also help.

I've driven in France twice recently, and found it an actual pleasure - I found the motorway driving MUCH less agressive than over here - they are quieter and if people want to overtake they do so, but give you space (unlike here where people drive right up to your bumper, pull out and in then immediately back in!). Be aware that they tend to sign post town to town rather than by road name (kind of the opposite of here), so if you're driving on A or B type roads and using the signs, have it in mind which is the next town you might get to on your journey.

Like Seaweedhead says there is normally a shop on site, selling the basics, and fresh bakery products every morning. French supermarkets are also fantastic so you should be able to stock up there. One tip is to take condiments with you so you don't have to buy (if you use it) vinegar/ketchup/salt/pepper etc, the same goes for cling film/foil/loo roll. It does depend on how much space you have in your car though.

Our mobile homes were always spotless.

Not sure about bikes, but there are generally bikes to hire.

Have fun - let us know how it goes!

maypole1 Mon 29-Aug-11 19:32:11

Domaine du Chateau de Drancourt thats were we are staying and looking at trip adviser it has very very mixed reviews

And now I am panicking and just finished having a little cry shall I cancel !!!!

Or should I change the site to a different one didn't want to book some were to far for the first time

Oh god I don't feel good at all

Please tell me its nice

belgo Mon 29-Aug-11 19:35:48

'When we went on honey moon I spent the whole time at the airport crying in the loo.'

are you not used to going on holiday?

Eurocamp for a family is usually a fairly safe bet; is there a reason you are so worried?

MrsCog Mon 29-Aug-11 19:38:20

I've just had a quick look at the trip advisor reviews and much of the criticism seems aimed at the toilet blocks which if you're in a mobile home, you won't have to use anyway.

Lizzylou Mon 29-Aug-11 19:40:35

Not done Eurocamp, but have done Kepcamp (same company!) past two years, fab.
I have 2 boys (7 and 5) and they have loved it. We hired bikes for the day (lots of people took theirs), also had pony rides, sea kayaking and Go-Karts. Boys never go on Kids Club, their choice. But loved facilities and freedom. You will really enjoy it.

That is all I can say as tomorrow is first day back at work after 2 weeks of French freedom and am in mourning!

maypole1 Mon 29-Aug-11 19:41:18

Not really and had a very bad experience when I was a teenager ever since then Anything to do with holidays gives me anxiety

My oh has took dd to Disney land this year as I couldn't face it but I really need to get over this so I have booked this camp while they are away

And hoping because it's not to far and self catering it won't be to bad to be honest I feeling a little bit hmm just posting about it.

But the kids cannot just holiday with oh so I just need a little encouragement

maypole1 Mon 29-Aug-11 19:44:58

Thank you ladies

belgo Mon 29-Aug-11 19:57:26

to be honest I cannot face Disneyland eithersmile but Eurocamp is fine. It's not luxury but the mobile homes are good quality, I've always found everything to be clean, there is entertainment for the children; restaurants on site and shops where you can buy everything you need.

dancingintherain Mon 29-Aug-11 20:22:17

I would second what Lizzylou has said, did Eurocamp last year and stayed on eurocamp type site with our tent this year - all the sites we have stayed on in France have been really child friendly, clean and with plenty to do. The best thing is that the children make friends really quickly, often with children of other nationalities and just enjoy being outside etc. Satnav made the driving easier if you have one/ can borrow one that covers France.
Sure it will be fab!

seaweedhead Tue 30-Aug-11 06:07:50

I hope you enjoy it and it helps you get over your anxiety. Holidays can be stressful but at least with self catering you have more control and can just make yourself at home; and like you say, you're not travelling far.

Lizzylou Tue 30-Aug-11 07:38:20

We were really nervous about driving in France, it was fine, DH enjoyed it. We were also worried about the cost of food etc when we were there, again fine and the campsite shop was actually very reasonable. Both years we have come home with euros. French supermarkets are great, almost a trip out (DS2 loved the live crabs and lobsters!) and reasonable. Eating out is fine, can be pricey but plat du jour at lunchtime a good bet and lots offer children's menus. We had a BBQ on our pitch and tended to BBQ most evenings.
I am sure you'll love it, we loved the laid back feel and the freedom that we had by staying wth Keycamp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now