Talk

Advanced search

Making proper coffee

(32 Posts)
SherlockHolmes Fri 26-Aug-11 19:59:55

How do you make yours? I prefer to use a cafetiere at home, so have been looking at stainless steel/polycarbonate versions, which are all a bit pricy (around £20). Do you think a metal teapot and a tea strainer would do the job adequately? I'm sure there are some fellow caffeine addicts out there who can offer some advice grin

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Aug-11 20:07:08

why can't you just use a cafetiere?

a tea strainer will surely be way too big?

amistillsexy Fri 26-Aug-11 20:07:32

Use a filter cone over a flask. Make 2 cones of coffee (about 4 heaped/5 scoops of coffee and 2 full filters of water) and you've got seconds as well! grin

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Aug-11 20:08:02

or else you need one of these

Gastonladybird Fri 26-Aug-11 20:10:05

Can you still buy coffee bags as that was a decent compromise

Sandalwood Fri 26-Aug-11 20:16:14

We use a stovetop coffee maker at home and camping.
But DD did once get DH one of these as a gift. It's good.

Blu Fri 26-Aug-11 20:44:53

We use a steel cafitiere at home (saves on replacing the glass jugs when they inevitably break, also the insulation is good and makes a pot last longer) so we just take that.

Next time you break a glass cafitiere replace it with an insulated steel one.

No, no, cones and filter papers don't do a good job: coffee tastes v 'thin' from them, I think it filters out the coffee oil, or too many very very fine particles or something.

But I used to make coffee in a jug and filter out the grounds with a fine mesh strainer - it was fine.

doozle Fri 26-Aug-11 20:50:31

I like the one cup Romboult filters. You just fill with boiling water, they filter through and all sorted.

Like these

MmeLindor. Fri 26-Aug-11 20:53:52

One of these espresso makers and pot of milk

Anifrangapani Fri 26-Aug-11 20:54:30

I use a perculator when I am camping - nice strong coffee smile

midnightexpress Fri 26-Aug-11 20:54:36

You need a proper stovetop percolator. This sort of thing. It won't smash to smithereens and it makes decent coffee. DP is a complete coffee freak and he always uses one, including whilst wild camping on a Scottish hillside.

He will minimize his backpack weight with all manner of powdered food/lightweight fleeceage, and then lug a steel percolator through the hills. Go figure. hmm

midnightexpress Fri 26-Aug-11 20:55:09

Haha MmeL - x-posts!

SamsGoldilocks Fri 26-Aug-11 21:01:20

i take a cafetiere - just bought one for a recent camping trip and then smashed my friends glass but it only cost me £7 from ASDA

SherlockHolmes Fri 26-Aug-11 21:01:59

Thanks all - lots of good suggestions. I don't want to use a normal cafetiere as we have had broken glass whilst camping before, and it's not fun! I think the answer is to bite the bullet and buy a polycarbonate one, as it seems to be as cheap as anything else.

MmeLindor. Fri 26-Aug-11 21:02:20

ME
Got to have good coffee. The filter stuff is weak and blah

Blu Fri 26-Aug-11 21:27:15

Amazon have an 8 cup polycarbonate cafitiere for a tenner! here

For camping I still like my steel double wall one, though, for the insulation.

hazeyjane Fri 26-Aug-11 21:33:09

Got to be a stove top coffee pot like mme lindor linked to, makes a lovely espresso shot, then top it up with hot milk - ahem, coffee addict!

MmeLindor. Fri 26-Aug-11 21:37:08

Hmm. This topic seems to bring out a certain type of MN. How are you, HJ? Is there still a Spa around? Not on MN much at the moment

hazeyjane Fri 26-Aug-11 21:43:17

There is a Spa, mme, but it is pretty quiet atm, a mixture of holidays and people being more active on twitter (which I am just a bit of a Luddite about), I guess.

Please pop in though, there have been several holiday related hospital trips, and I believe everyone is preparing for broken-boiler season!

MmeLindor. Fri 26-Aug-11 21:45:29

Thanks, HJ. Have found it. Sorry for hijack , op

midnightexpress Fri 26-Aug-11 22:58:08

grin

hillbilly Sat 27-Aug-11 07:08:36

Stove top coffee pot every time! Illy coffee and hot milk.

redheadbedhead Sat 27-Aug-11 07:31:45

DEFINITELY stove top with hot milk and a decent brand to start with, like hillbilly says - Illy / Monmouth mmmmmmmmm / Segafredo. I used a cafetiere for years just because my parents did, but when somebody made me coffee in a stove top it was like a revelation. Haven't used the cafetiere since...sits in the cupboard crying.

hazeyjane Sat 27-Aug-11 08:51:11

Illy mmmmm

Lavazza red nice too.

Milk has to be boiled in a pan to get a nice frothiness.

God I'm going to have to go and make coffee now.

PinkFondantFancy Sat 27-Aug-11 08:54:31

Whittards sell a reusable version of the one cup filter thingy. It's fab-you just put your ground illy or whatever in it, pour on boiling water, done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now