Talk

Advanced search

I think the time has come to buy a camping stove

(6 Posts)
BoBoo Tue 23-Aug-11 15:32:05

Any suggestions? I want something portable and easy to use and don't want to spend more than £40. I don't think we'll be doing anything heavy duty on it - just some hot drinks in the morning, the odd bowl of pasta and toast would be a bonus.

Red2011 Tue 23-Aug-11 19:51:10

We got two 'one hob' camping things in "Go Outdoors" along with some packs of gas cannisters (small). You take the lid off the cannister, open the side of the 'hob', put the cannister in, turn it, and then you're good to go. £8 each.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-portable-gas-camping-stove-p142491

The cannisters were something like £12 for a 4 pack.
We used them when we were camping last month for boiling kettle and boiling pans of water for pasta. They were fine!
You can also get the same sort of hob things in Asda but I don't know if they sell the gas.

Both versions are portable - they come in their own carry case.

MrsGaff Tue 23-Aug-11 21:04:43

Same as Red, we got two of those little hobs, each in their own little carry case - Gelert ones, on offer in B&Q for £5 each.

We've never yet used both hobs at the same time, we've always been fine with just the one and I've managed to make hot drinks and a full fry up every morning for three of us without needing both hobs on the go at the same time.

TaffyandTeenyTaffy Wed 24-Aug-11 11:16:20

Our Tesco had a 2 ring gas hob with a grill underneath today - half price down to £25. Think you'd probably need a gas bottle with it. No idea if it is any good, but seemed like a bargain.

BoBoo Wed 24-Aug-11 17:00:11

Thanks all. I went for a little one ring thing that takes a canister about the size of an aerosol. I toyed with the idea of the two rings, but they all seemed to take bigger gas bottles and want to keep it small. As long as I can get a cup of coffee to get me going in the morning I'll be happy.

Pixel Wed 24-Aug-11 18:44:14

We've got the two-ring version of the one you are all talking about (obv it takes two little canisters!) because I couldn't face having a gas bottle to worry about. It is so easy to use and takes up hardly any space although I'm a bit disappointed it didn't come with a case like the smaller ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now