Talk

Advanced search

Just got back from motorhome holiday havinn hired one (because were not that rich!)

(24 Posts)
noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 09:38:02

and it was brilliant grin. Loved loved loved it! Total luxury from our camping helped by fab weather and some lively sites. Peopl who have one are you mega rich and do you use it every weekend because how can you justify £20-60k worth of kit like that!? I have total motorhome envy of private motorhome owners. Anyhow i am happy to recommend the guy from ebay who hired it and would defo do it again. We podded this year too and i kind of feel a bit guilty towards my vango but hey ho!

twinklytroll Tue 23-Aug-11 09:39:23

I would be really grateful if you could inbox me the details. We also have motorbike envy.

WinduhPAYNE Tue 23-Aug-11 09:44:20

Please PM me too, I like the sound of it.

Also where did you go, how much did it cost in terms of petrol/diesel?

Thanks.

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 09:47:44

It was a private guy on ebay which we were a bit sceptical about doing but he was very organised and professional. it was this guy but there are others on ebay though i cant vouch for them we used this guy as he was local ish.

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 09:53:44

We went to ripon, over to york, over to scarborough and then back to york for last night as it was so sunny and we loved this one site the best (fishig for dh and i etc/ playpark ...) then we headed back to teesside so we didnt travel miles and miles just about 1hr - 1hr 30 between sites in a kind of loop really - cost us £50 in diesel over all. You had to get own insurance which was about £80. DH was 40 so i got him it as a special birthday treat/ holiday as he has in his head he wants one when he retires grin. The guy was going away on holiday so let us have it a day early for free as well which was a bonus. As we were on proper sites we did not use the shower or toilet as the oens on site were lovely and clean and we didnt want the kids to go overboard pooing and weeing in it which we wouldnt be too keen on emtying. They do rattle a lot as you drive - well ours did likepots and pans and cupboards rattling.

chrisrobin Tue 23-Aug-11 09:57:54

We have a motorhome and we are certainly not rich! It was paid for originally with a loan just like a car. DH and I both come from motorhoming families so it was inevitable we would have one (we are on our third). We go on holiday with the parents or in-laws in our respective m'homes so we have our own space but are still together.

We would love to use it every weekend but we can't because DH works on Saturdays, though sometimes we just go off for the night after he finishes work, but we get away quite a bit in the holidays. So generally we have a 30k drive ornament for most of the year- much to all our annoyance. It makes going on holiday much more affordable for us though. Our last holiday (in the middle of July) cost £200 for the 2 weeks and most of that was petrol which we would have used in the car to go away to a hotel. Also we can go at the last minute, just bundle the DC in and go!

There is a scheme run by one of the hire companies where you buy the m'home and they gaurantee the first three years rental will cover the payments on it, if you wanted one that may be an avenue to look down.

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 10:00:18

just re read my thread ithey were not lively sites they were LOVELY sites - we dont do lively.....

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 10:20:24

Thanks chrisrobin thats most helpful, dh works most friday nights so we would have the saem so would probs have gone a saturday am and be back sunday but then when do you get your housework done - or is that the attraction ? grin. If i win a tidy 50k i would defo go get one, we have stayed in statics before but think now we would just hire this guys motorhome if we wanted that type of break. Me and dh talked about the hire out option but being your prode and joy i dont think id want someeon else to use it in case it got wrecked. What type do you have? <nosey>? Friends of ours parents havs some 65k autotrail new thing which is 27 foot and we thought ours was big at 21 foot! Anyway chrisrobin i am totally jealous of you now wink

chrisrobin Tue 23-Aug-11 10:21:18

Sorry, my reply sounds a bit grumpy- I blame it on the fact that this morning I am still trying to deal with the fall out from someone going into the back of our m'home last November- still not fixed and the insurance co. are rubbish! I have also, when I refused a quote for double glazing, had the salesman say 'Its not like you can't afford it, you've got one of them (pointing to m'home)' to which I replied 'it's having one of them which means I can't afford it.' Its a sore subject blush

I'm really glad you had a good holiday and that you were on some lovely sites (lively sites fill me with dread grin ) Generally motorhomers are a nice friendly bunch and not a holiday goes by without my DH or DDad helping someone- anything from pushing their m'homes out of the mud to fixing the air conditioning.

The rattling is more that likely pans and plates, you need quite a few tea towels to wrap around things until you get the placement of objects just right (which takes many, many trips). The grill pan and hob rings are the ones that usually cause the most rattling.

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 10:27:21

Noo you sounded fine and if i was dealing with fall out of a prang id not be happy too! We dont have a mega long drive so i think dh would be worried it would be obvious we were away iyswim, i have a retirement plan now though involving downsizing to a house with a long drive to park my moto on grin! What did make us laugh though was when al the other motorhomers wave at you when you pass em grin, we were a tadge embarassed at first then fully embraced it and just basically pretended it was ours! Excellent fun!

chrisrobin Tue 23-Aug-11 10:30:11

oh, I don't to housework grin

I must admit we wouldn't hire ours out. My parents hired one of their old ones out, most of the time it came back fine but once it was trashed and then it was devalued (something no-one can risk).
I have a Miller New Jersey, 21ft, 6 birth. We can't drive much bigger because we got our driving licences in 1998 when they restricted the weuight to 3.5 tonne. My parents have a 29ft Kontiki which was a bit of a pain when they went to Cornwall!

I wouldn't be jealous of me right now- I can see it out the window and know fine it is staying there for the next 2 months, back to being an ornament- a bit like bagpuss but not as pink!

chrisrobin Tue 23-Aug-11 10:34:58

Our drive is 22ft, so it only just fits! It is very obvious when you are away though.

Yes, we wave- its funny when you get home and are in the car driving still waving at motorhomes- they look at you like this confused hahaha.
You can get embroiled in wave wars though, where c-class m'homes (ones with overcab beds) don't get waved at by a-class m'homes (ones without overcab beds) 'tis very silly!

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 10:41:55

we had a few that didnt wave and we said god miserable b**** and that could well be why as dh would coment perhaps its coz they smaller or just miserable. We drove a small agilla yesterday home and yes dh did wave at a motor home which i was grin about! Anyway hey ho off to asda!

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 10:46:49

oooo i just totally googled your van grin! We hired a transit kateramano rimor similar - love the bunk beds you fold to a boot - <realises i am getting carried away now and skulks to asda>

chrisrobin Tue 23-Aug-11 11:00:26

Its a nice van, perfect for the DC. There are quite a few with fold up bunks now. (tempts noyouhavehadawee to join the motorhoming fold)

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 12:32:17

i am resisting for now........ <scoots of to search on ebay!>

Mollymax Tue 23-Aug-11 12:44:23

We too have a motor home and we are not rich.
It is our luxury, we do not smoke or drink alcohol and rarely go out of an evening.
We have just returned from three weeks in Devon. It was fantastic. Life is so simple in Barney.

crazynanna Tue 23-Aug-11 12:46:43

My brother has one in Ingermells.....skegvegas (skegness) grin
Just been for 4 days,and it was ace wink

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 13:08:02

oh your all to pooosh for me! Just found one for 9k on ebay and sent dh the details - he will love that while he is at work! Its down tuther end of country so no chance really but i can dream the dream and one day i will wave at your all legit!

ivykaty44 Tue 23-Aug-11 20:27:40

my dad had a caravan for years - then changed to a campervan and has spent 6 month of the year (1065 nights so far) in the campervan - he heads down to the algarve come January to avoid the snow and bad weather, there are a fair few retired on campsites and aires between here and portugal and they seem to have a social life between them.

In the summer late august and september he heads to france and tours for a bit to get some sun in for the winter.

in the uk he doesn't have a motor car but uses my car or his bike, so 20k on a car or 20k on a motor home you can sleep in - but only if you can do away with a car I suppose or have both.

caravans don't come cheap and you can easily spend 20k on a caravan

noyouhavehadawee Tue 23-Aug-11 20:55:05

ivykaty your das retirement sounds like the one i want! Lucky man. Time to start putting the lotto on.

ivykaty44 Tue 23-Aug-11 22:57:44

I don't know about luck - he did work for nearly 50 years grin life is what you make it after that

noyouhavehadawee Wed 24-Aug-11 09:12:13

grin

deste Wed 24-Aug-11 22:35:56

We have the Rimor Katamerano with the bunk beds. We have only used it about three times this year because there is always something on at the weekend. We will be using it in the next couple of weeks hopefully. It is an expensive ornament sitting on the drive but when we use it we love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now