Talk

Advanced search

Which car?

(13 Posts)
MrsGaff Mon 22-Aug-11 15:09:42

We've now had a successful first camping season, a couple more trips to do this year and we are already planning trips for next year including France.

Our problem is that DH's car is packed fit to burst, including the rear seats, with just enough room for DS. We've promised my nephew we will bring him along on a few weekends away next year, but we have literally no room in the car. Packing less is not an option (I think we pack very light anyway), using my car isn't an option (Renault Clio) and we can't fit a roof-rack on DH's car. So we are going to change my beloved Clio for a 'camping car'.

But which one? What do you have? Have you any room to spare when all packed? And we'd like something that is really efficient on fuel. DH's car averages about 21 miles per gallon, it would be an expensive drive to France!

babyocho Mon 22-Aug-11 15:46:03

I have a Honda CRV, diesel. Does between 37-42 mpg.

The boot is a really good size, and when not camping there is a shelf (which I take out), which is really handy for everyday use.

The rear seats go back and forwards, so you can get even more room in the boot and push the seat back when normal.

Went camping for 2 nights recently with 2 adults and 3 kids, plus tent and stuff. Although the kids are young enough to stuff loads of stuff in the footwells without it being a problem.

PandaG Mon 22-Aug-11 15:51:09

have you considered a roof bag rather than a roof box? is a big weatherproof bag that sits on top of the car, and attaches via straps going through the top of the doorways. Pretty much fits any car I think, as long as you have a 4 door version fo rboth straps.

Can buy inner bags, which we use to pack clothes and towels etc in.

Think we got ours form the states, was £100 ish \i think, but much cheaper than a new car. It comes with some non slip material to put on the car roof to protect the car.

Can get link from DH if you are interested?

babyocho Mon 22-Aug-11 17:09:15

Never heard of them before. PandaG can you get the link from your DH.

mel2005 Mon 22-Aug-11 21:00:41

we ahve a ford glalaxy with a roofbox but there are 6 of us with a 5m bell tent, two tent carpets, 6 sleeping bags and 5 airbeds, 51l coolbox, bbq and loads stuff. it does 60+mpg on a good run and 45mpg pottering around. the roof box was £40 from e-bay but if you dont have the back seats up the galaxy has a MASSIVE boot.

MrsGaff Mon 22-Aug-11 21:53:31

Panda I wouldn't mind a look at that if you can post a link, although I've mentioned it to DH and he muttered something along the lines of 'not a chance' on his precious car.

Thanks Baby and Mel, will check them out on Autotrader.

hillbilly Mon 22-Aug-11 22:01:12

We have a VW Golf Plus Diesel, with a roof box for our family of 4 and we love it. Very economical.

Muckyhighchair Mon 22-Aug-11 22:04:41

LANDROVER

Jumbs Mon 22-Aug-11 22:47:15

citroen berlingo diesel done us proud on many french camping trips. Floor boxes, big boot with an airline style roof box. We are 2 adults, 2 kids. The newer ones even look ok, ours is older and so looks like a van with windows!

I am really put off any type of roof box of any sort having seen the contents of several scattered along the motorway this summer. Plus they will not help the fuel economy.

Tommy Mon 22-Aug-11 22:49:41

another Berlingo fan here although we went for a trailer this year and it was great.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 22-Aug-11 22:54:25

Ford cMax here. Can get all four of us away in that. One tip from me is to buy a dog guard thing to put up between the boot and the back seat, that lets me get a bit more in the boot by piling it up a wee bit higher than normally possible.

PandaG Tue 23-Aug-11 00:27:58

roofbag details here

we use it on a company car, no marks at all on the roof or door frames - we've found it really good!

we actually use it both on its own, with the inner bags inside, and as an extra layer on top of a roof box, for even more space! the straps are long enough to attach round both if needed!

PandaG Tue 23-Aug-11 00:29:15

yes it is in the States, but we had no problems shipping it here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now