Talk

Advanced search

Outwell fusion 400

(13 Posts)
YellowDinosaur Sat 20-Aug-11 12:25:08

Hi all,

I'm looking for a pop up / quick pitching tent to go away on my own with the boys. I'd like a 4 berth (so we have enough space to sleep) plus a small living / storage area for our stuff.

I was looking at the Quechua pop ups after reading a lot about them on here but have come accross this outwell one which has a simlar sized bedroom and living area to the base seconds xxl (i'd prefer one bedroom for all of us while the boys are small) but a SIG and HH 4000 so seems to be better quality. I've even found one in Argos for £99 (RRP £189) and have it reserved till Mon so I'm after any tips from you lot before I decide whether to take the plunge and get it or not!

The main neg reviews I've seen online talk about it being a bit tricky to take down but this also seems to be the case with the Quechua one - seems to both that there is a knack that if you get right it is easy but if you don't you look like a twat wrestling with a tent and will amuse your fellow campers! Thoughts welcome!

muchostinky Sat 20-Aug-11 15:24:42

There is a review on ukcampsite that sings its praises yellow. Think you should go for it as it is such a good deal! [grain]

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 20-Aug-11 23:05:51

The only thing I would say about the Outwell is that you can't stand up in it. I would hate that, especially if the weather isn't very good. You can definitely stand up in the Quechua. I've seen the quechua in action, but not the Outwell.

I've checked both online and the Quechua living space is much bigger than the Outwell.

I would go for the Quechua as I've seen it in action and it really will do for four people for longer than a weekend.

YellowDinosaur Sun 21-Aug-11 07:40:46

Yes thats my dilemma really. However the reason I had gone for this one is that we will only go at short notice when the weather is good and can live outside - the porch area is really for storage only.

However the tiny living area that you can't stand in would be a deal breaker for dh and he wouldn't come with us in that tent (he is 6ft4 and gets a bit claustrophobic in tents you can't stand up in). However, the same would probably be true for the Quechua as it wouldn't be tall enough for him either so if he was coming we could just take our regular tent as he could help me to put it up.

Wish I had longer than Mon to think about it but this one I have reserved is the only one available near me to collect so if I don't go for it I suspect I won't have the option again! Not a reason to buy a tent that doesn't suit but puts the pressure on!

YellowDinosaur Sun 21-Aug-11 07:41:17

grin muchostinky!

Tangle Mon 22-Aug-11 15:45:46

What did you decide to do?

We got one earlier in the year and in lots of ways it ticks all the boxes. The only problem I have with it is that folded it is BIG. The only place we can get it in the car is to stand it up behind the front seats - fine atm with only one DC, but might be problematic when/if we have more to worry about.

And the running arguments on how we're meant to take fold it up again (last time DH couldn't make it work, I showed him how I thought it went, he insisted I was wrong and left me standing holding it 1/2 done in the rain while he looked it up on YouTube - where he found out I was right all along...)

We've found it long enough to stick clothes bags at the end, and the porch bit is big enough for DH to sit in after DD's in bed (if necessary) although it is quite compact and if we're staying more than a night we'll live out of the car to a certain extent. We considered the Quecha but decided against as we didn't like the groundsheet arrangement in the porch - not that it had to be sewn in, but I'd quite have liked there to be something to help keep the draughts out, even if just long flappy bits you could tuck under the groundsheet.

YellowDinosaur Mon 22-Aug-11 17:13:15

Still trying o decide!!! Have to collect it by tonight 2100 if I'm going to. Its not in stock anywhere else nearby so I thin kI'll probably go and get it as its a phenomenal deal and I can always return it if I decide against...

YellowDinosaur Mon 22-Aug-11 20:26:17

Well I got it - I'll stick it up indoors later to see if it is what I wantand report back! Slight concern that Argos have given me a rip off version (see my other thread 'vacanza by outwell - an argos rip off???') but if it is what I am looking for then who cares!

Tangle Mon 22-Aug-11 22:11:30

What colour is it? We wound up with green, which is fine - the topaz is very cheery, but I'm not sure I'd want to live with it!

And I'm jealous you've got enough space to put it up inside! We might just squeeze it up if we had no furniture at all...

YellowDinosaur Mon 22-Aug-11 22:15:11

I've got Topaz which I like a lot actually so all good there!

We have enough space (probably) to put it up inside with a bit of moving around of furniture grin

YellowDinosaur Mon 22-Aug-11 22:15:46

I didn't get a choice with the colur as it was the only one left but its what I would have chosen...

Tangle Mon 22-Aug-11 22:40:56

Fair enough.

We got a green one as that was all they had at the time. Its nice, although a bit boring. I don't mind boring blush

YellowDinosaur Wed 24-Aug-11 17:05:15

It is fab. More info on my other thread about this if anyone is interested but initially very pleased!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now