Talk

Advanced search

Vango or Eurohike

(9 Posts)
fivegomadindorset Wed 17-Aug-11 18:22:17

First tent both on sale at Millets for nearly a third of the price, Vango sleeps 6 in 3 pods, Eurohike sleeps 8 in 4 I think.

fivegomadindorset Thu 18-Aug-11 07:37:31

Sorry little bump, I know it is not exciting but they are both bargains and just need some help deciding.

KingofHighVis Thu 18-Aug-11 07:47:48

Depends if you want a tent that sleeps 6, or one that sleeps 8.

Also consider what you are going to do with it. Many years ago, when I was into tents and such, Vango was a hiking/mountaineering type brand; when Eurohike came along in the 90s it was aimed more at yer Inter-rail/festival types. No doubt things have changed since then though.

Which is the nicer colour?

KingofHighVis Thu 18-Aug-11 07:51:53

Could also try looking at some of the many camping review sites around.

www.outdoorenthusiasts.co.uk/tents/7-man-tents/eurohike-buckingham-8-man-tent/

oranges123 Thu 18-Aug-11 12:55:38

Hi there. My first bit of advice re tents (based on years of getting it wrong) is always by the biggest tent you can afford, assuming it will work with what you are intending it for.

So, if you are going to be a weekend camper mainly - putting it up one day and taking it down one or two days later, don't choose something with loads of poles and pods which is basically visible from space. You and your DP/DH/other "helper" will spend hours cursing each other whilst everyone else in your group slings up their pop up and retires to the fire for a glass of wine.

If you are mainly going to be using it on your annual holiday and staying put for a week or two, space is VITAL and the bigger the better. Your choise whether you prefer the pod-type tents or a tunnel.

So I guess I am saying get the 8 man one if you are the second type of camper and neither if you are the first. Save your money and buy a pop up or other quick-erect tent.

oranges123 Thu 18-Aug-11 12:56:17

by = buy

Mammonite Thu 18-Aug-11 13:15:51

UKcampsite has the most thorough tent reviews. You might want to look at the relative size/weight of the package if you don't have a big car or trailer.

The bigger your tent gets, the more vulnerable it is to wind so it's important it's all guyed down properly and has strong enough poles. Also sometimes manufacturers are a bit optimistic on the no. of berths so do look at the dimensions.

If it's the Vango Verona you're looking at, that does look a better quality tent but not huge on space for 5. OK for short trips or organised minimalists? The 240cm is wide enough for four people on mats but no room for your holdalls of clothes & stuff - but then it has a fully sewn groundsheet so those things will be fine in the outer tent overnight.

What we do in our small tent is roll up the sleeping bags during the day and just leave the mats with a blanket over them so the bedrooms become extra daytime space.

Tunnel tents are great generally, and we had a Eurohike that lasted us about 10 years so either will probably do the job. I would go for the Vango personally though and just squash in grin.

fivegomadindorset Thu 18-Aug-11 20:15:53

Thank you for the information. It would generally be one/two night trips with either the four of us or one of us taking DC's, had a chat with the lady in Millets so have a better idea. I like the look of the Verona.

Mammonite Thu 18-Aug-11 21:47:07

Happy camping grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now