Talk

Advanced search

trailer tents and folding campers

(21 Posts)
supersalstrawberry Mon 15-Aug-11 21:43:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chicaguapa Mon 15-Aug-11 21:54:24

We have a Conway Cruiser and I know there's someone else on MN who has a Pennine Pullman (both essentially the same.)

We absolutely completely love it. We bought it because we love camping but hate living out of a suitcase, cooking out of a plastic box, sleeping on airbeds, cleaning our teeth over a bucket and spending hours packing and unpacking the car plus putting up the tent and pegging it out.

We adore it because we have a wardrobe and drawers, a cooker with work surface and shelves, proper cosy mattresses, a sink with running water, we pack it away ready for next time, it takes 15 minutes to put up and there's no pegging.

It's better than a caravan as it feels more open, you can roll one side up when the weather's good, you are sleeping under canvas so still get all the camping noises and you can keep it on your driveway. hmm I have towed it myself and it's no problem.

We paid £1,650 for ours but should have paid around £2,000 really. It's a 1998 one and is in really good condition. There's little difference between the old and new models except that the newer ones have a water heater so you get hot water as well (we just have cold) and one of the beds is wider.

The Conway Crusader/ Penninne Pathfinder is a bit bigger and has a toilet cubicle and an oven. I don't know much about the other models.

We have been away almost every weekend in ours. We go to CCC Temporary Holiday Sites with our toilet tent and portapotti and only pay around £6 a night. DH was a bit hmm when I first suggested it, but now he wants to live in it. grin

The folding camper/ trailer tent forum on ukcampsite.co.uk is good for questions too. Hope you get one.

supersalstrawberry Mon 15-Aug-11 21:59:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 16-Aug-11 10:33:58

I've got a Pennine Pullman. It's great. We got it because DH had never been camping, did not like the idea of a tent and our car won't pull a big enough caravan.

We love it (even DH now). We've had it about 8 years. We didn't buy the Pathfinder/Crusader because, although it's got a loo, it's much longer and heavier and you can't carry so much in it. We used to take a Porta Potti with us and put it either in the awning if we were staying longer than a weekend, or in the doorway of the camper for a weekend if we were too far away from the toilets. We don't take it at all now. We only have cold water, not hot, nor do we have gas struts on the bed bits that the newer versions have.

We've just come back from two weeks in southern France and it's been great. I would say that the best thing about it is that you sleep up from the ground and you don't have to keep making up the beds. The Pullman does have the bigger bed, but DH and I never get to sleep on that, the DC share it. If we're only staying for the weekend and all three DC come with us, then one sleeps in the middle between the sofas rather than keep having to make that bed up.

We love having the tap inside (not sure if DH is so happy about it as he's the one who has to go and get the water).

This year we attached the kitchen bit to the outside gas tap and cooked out in the awning, rather than me cooking in the main bit away from anyone else. That was a revelation. I really wish I'd done that years ago. We have also taken down the wardrobe and stored it as we found we couldn't actually put much stuff in it and, now that it isn't in the way when the camper is down, we can put much more stuff in the camper itself and also put stuff in the fridge just before we travel without having to erect the camper. As chicaguapa said, it feels much more open than a caravan as you can roll up the side bit and make it and the awning one big space.

Towing is absolutely fine. I also tow. the only thing that's hard to get your head around, I've found, is that when you're reversing you turn the steering wheel one way and the camper goes the other, but the camper's so light you can always unhitch it and move it by hand.

Also, if you're buying a secondhand one, make sure you buy one with the awning and bedskirts as you can't buy them afterwards because Pennine/Conway kept changing the zips and colours. They also are very costly to have made up afterwards.

If you've got any other questions, please ask. As you can tell, both chica and I love our FCs. We can store ours on the drive so don't have to pay storage fees, either which we would have to if we bought a caravan.

BerryLellow Tue 16-Aug-11 13:15:18

We've just bought a secondhand conway trailer tent, I went to Wales to pick it up at the weekend. Haven't had a chance to put it up yet, so lord knows what we'll find, but it was very cheap (ebay).

I shall be lurking for tips smile

lisad123 Tue 16-Aug-11 22:12:11

we had a trailer tent, but only used it once and got a second hand Pennie Pullman grin
I reliased the trailer tent didnt make much difference as still spending ages setting up awning.
With the folding camper, we have beds, cooking area and eating area set up in about 20-30 mins, then we either sleep or put kids in an carry on setting up awning.
Love the storage and the fact I dont have to empty it everytime I pack up.

SeaShellsInTheMoonlight Wed 17-Aug-11 16:25:42

Hello supersal, longtime no see smile

I've just been linked to www.holtkamper.com/en/kyte/ these expensive beauties, but have nothing more sensible to add I'm afraid!

sphil Wed 17-Aug-11 19:01:43

We bought a Pennine Aztec earlier this year to tow behind our campervan
( we sleep in the van, the DSes in the camper). Best thing we ever did. If we're going away for weekends the van and the camper are plenty big enough, but if we're going for longer we take the Aztec awning which is huge.
Dh can put the camper up in 15 mins, tho awning takes a bit longer.
Its fab!

sphil Wed 17-Aug-11 19:02:20

We bought ours on Preloved btw.

Migsy1 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:42:39

Sorry to be ingnorant but what is the difference between a trailer tent and a folding camper?

IloveJudgeJudy Wed 17-Aug-11 21:50:17

A folding camper is really like a caravan, with running water, stove fixed in, sofas that you can also make up into a bed, cupboards, etc in the main bit.

A trailer tent will usually only have the beds up from the ground with a kitchen section that is all-in-one and that is detachable and gets put up outside the main trailer section. If you want cupboards, you usually have to use the portable, foldaway ones.

IloveJudgeJudy Wed 17-Aug-11 21:50:48

To add to the first paragraph ..... but with a canvas top, instead of a hard one.

lisad123 Wed 17-Aug-11 22:31:22

have put pics of mine on my profile but be warned its very retro grin

Migsy1 Thu 18-Aug-11 17:50:12

That looks wonderful!

I hope your husband it OK x

lisad123 Thu 18-Aug-11 21:15:43

its a great little camper and for £300 I cant complain.
As for dh, his still fighting, and we are still hoping

DesolationAngel Sat 20-Aug-11 16:21:34

Are folding campers/trailer tents warmer than your standard tent? I want to be able to go camping from about Feb to Oct and can't decide between one of these or a caravan.

Thanks

chicaguapa Sat 20-Aug-11 20:41:21

I wouldn't camp in it in February. Maybe other people would though. It is warmer than a tent as it's off the ground and it's made of canvas but it's not that warm. You have sockets to plug heaters into and can put proper carpet down to insulate a bit more, but I don't think it would compare to a caravan in February or October.

sphil Sat 20-Aug-11 20:51:46

We have a small Argos fan heater in ours and it gets really warm - not sure about Feb as the earliest we've used it so far has been April. Our camper is fairly small though so it warms up quickly.

lisad123 Sat 20-Aug-11 21:36:01

We have gone in April and taken oil heaters but still needed sleeping bag, quilt and clothes for bed tbh

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 20-Aug-11 22:47:05

They are warmer than a normal tent as you are off the ground, but I wouldn't camp in Feb as it's pretty cold then. You could use a fan heater, but it still prob would be cold. We've camped in October and that's just about OK, but still cold and windy. We had a fan heater and lots of blankets as well as sleeping bags. Don't know how cold a caravan would be as we've been in a static at that time of year and that was cold, too.

DesolationAngel Sun 21-Aug-11 15:58:13

Thanks for the responses, we have been camping in the tent in October before now and took duvets and left the fan heater on all night so I guess it would just be the same. Hmmm still undecided on the route to take but thanks for the answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now