Talk

Advanced search

Arrrrrrrgh bloody camping!

(21 Posts)
cantpooinpeace Mon 15-Aug-11 20:54:05

Went camping last week for 5 nights except we only did 4.

Got to campsite over 2 hours drive away to realise we didn't have tent poles and had no idea where they were.

DD made best friends (huggy, kissy etc) with a child with full on chicken pox! She's starting school in Sept so will prob be in the throws of the pox when she starts.

It rained (monsoon like) all week and everything was damp, tent stank!

So we came home a day early (my birthday) packing up in the rain tired, wet and miserable!

This week it's glorious weather - I give up. France next year me thinks.

pictish Mon 15-Aug-11 20:56:12

Tis so often the way!

needtogetalife Mon 15-Aug-11 20:57:26

you sound just like me, came back from 5 nights camping straight onto canvas holidays in france. works out about £150 more and thats for 10 nights!!!

cantpooinpeace Mon 15-Aug-11 21:01:21

I need a holiday to recover from my holiday!

serin Tue 16-Aug-11 00:04:47

France in the rain is so much worse than England in the rain though!

No National Trust! No visitor attractions!

You need to go further south.

cantpooinpeace Tue 16-Aug-11 08:00:25

We always went to the south as kids, the rain doesn't seem to be as relentless there.
I think maybe I'm just cursed!

hugeleyoutnumbered Tue 16-Aug-11 08:07:59

we went camping for the first time this yr, three nights in devon, fantastic, the rain on the last night just made it easier to come home, but had a great time, where did you camp?

cantpooinpeace Tue 16-Aug-11 20:15:51

Wasdale in the lake district, was a beautiful spot when the clouds lifted!

2gorgeousboys Tue 16-Aug-11 22:10:51

After years camping in the rain in the Lakes, Dales and Scotland we went south to Cornwall this summer. What a revelation - we did not need the wellies, waterproofs and jumpers I had packed and instead I had to do an emergency shorts and suncream shop. Fantastic and we'll definately go south again next year.

cantpooinpeace Wed 17-Aug-11 22:02:07

Sounds like a plan smile

VivaLeBeaver Wed 17-Aug-11 22:13:01

Well I went to Pembrokeshire this year and Devon last. Both were wet, miserable weeks. Devon was like something else, monsoon rain lasted horizontally along. Wind like nothin I've seen. Was terrible.

So not sure that going south is the answer.

lostinwales Wed 17-Aug-11 22:20:06

We camped our way down France and into Italy this year and it rained quite a lot, when we hit the med and went towards our villa and it started to rain I nearly cried. We almost drove to Africa, sold the car and got filghts back grin. I have no idea how far south you have to go to guarantee nice weather!

It is just such a pain isn't it. I have just got used to wet camping now and sunshine is a bonus. (had 8 lovely days in the end but it was a round trip of 2,600 miles so it's a bloody good job blush)

cantpooinpeace Thu 18-Aug-11 13:05:24

It's soul destroying, I literally picked the worst week of the year so far!!!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 18-Aug-11 13:20:07

I would love to go back to Northumberland but the prospect of wet and cool weather puts me off.

We live on the South Coast and have pretty much the best weather in the UK, which is not saying much but so often we go away to find that the weather is better at home!

We were fairly lucky this year, 2 weeks in Norfolk with only 1 wet day, only a couple of hot days but at least it was dry.

I was saying to dh though, that as nice as Norfolk was, it wasn't as memorable or stunning as Northumberland or North Wales. Next year we will be packing waterproofs and wellies and heading for some castles and mountainsgrin

Fennel Thu 18-Aug-11 13:25:15

Wasdale is gorgeous (did you camp at the NT site ,we had a fantastic weekend there in hot sun once?) but it is terribly wet on a bad week. And a bit remote in terms of things to do on wet days.

cantpooinpeace Thu 18-Aug-11 15:03:32

Church Stile farm, fab site, but like you say a tad remote!

Fennel Thu 18-Aug-11 15:13:34

We are going to the lakes next week, but not camping, we've just been camping for 12 days in the Scillies (low rainfall!) but I was worried the Lakes can get so very wet.

Tenebrist Thu 18-Aug-11 15:18:36

My aunt lives in the Lakes (and is a keen walker, so very aware of weather changes) and told us to avoid August at all costs, as the last few years have been incredibly wet throughout the month. So it's just a bit crap that that's the school holidays, then. I think she meant, go as soon as the schools break up, if you can.

cantpooinpeace Thu 18-Aug-11 15:21:25

Good advice brist, thanks x

needanewname Thu 18-Aug-11 20:01:53

We got back from South West France - don;t believe you'll get wall to wall sunshine there - we didn;t!

fivegomadindorset Thu 18-Aug-11 20:03:58

Well anyone camping in Dorset today would have been washed out, you could have canoed in our garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now