Talk

Advanced search

Things you have learnt from camping. (just for fun)

(12 Posts)
GingerWrath Sun 14-Aug-11 19:38:43

It is impossible to make decent fried eggs in an iron skillet with just a pair of tongs and a wooden spoon, I needed a spatula!

Pack shorts even when the weather forecast isn't good. (it was roasting packing down today, at least the tent is dry though!)

Don't forget to pack your razor, even if for the weekend. (have felt hairy and grotty today)

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 14-Aug-11 19:40:40

Always note where the zip pull is when you close up for the night. Else a midnight wee can become confusing and frustrating.

thingamajig Sun 14-Aug-11 19:40:54

How well children sleep after spending every minute of a day outside.

Ineedalife Sun 14-Aug-11 19:43:10

That hot water bottles are must have part of our kit especially in August!!grin

You really cant make decent toast on a camp stove.grin.

And that saying about " there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothing" is b......s so true.grin

Ineedalife Sun 14-Aug-11 19:44:37

Lol at kitten... we put all our zips in the same place at night. When we have the porch fastened there are 4, there is no way I could hold it if I lost my zipsgringrin.

GingerWrath Sun 14-Aug-11 19:49:36

A porta bog is invaluable for late night trips.

If you take EHU and have a telly, it helps to tune it in (don't ask!)

Pitching near the playground makes setting up/breaking camp more sane with a 5yo.

Honeydragon Sun 14-Aug-11 19:52:42

That if you need to use the toilets in the small hours (pregnant), than it is fine to take the dog with you.

As it's quiet it's also ok to let the dog sit at the top of the steps in the doorway of toilet portacabin as its empty on account it's 3am.

What's not ok is making the 6.2" big burly security guard scream loudly as he scans the area with his torch and encounters two glowing eyes in the dark at head height.

grin

GingerWrath Sun 14-Aug-11 19:53:54

LOL Honeydragon

anyabird Sun 14-Aug-11 20:37:56

pmsl honeydragon! gotta love glowing night time dog eyes!

mamaduckbone Sun 14-Aug-11 20:38:08

That small boys can never be happier than on a campsite with sticks and mud to play with.

mrsnesbit Sun 14-Aug-11 20:44:14

an old carbourd box is fab to chuck your crocks/shoes/boots in at the entrance of the tent so that you dont drag mud in.

CROCKS are an absolute MUST for the communal showers, keep them on while you shower as the floor can be grotty.

Fellow campers can either be fab and helpful, but can also be fucking arses when still up shouting/singing & pisssed up at 12mn when you and the rest of the site have got kids settled and are trying to sleep.

There is absolutely NOTHING like the sound of rain on your tent when you are snug and warm in your sleeping bag grin it truly is a lovely lovely sound.

biscuitmad Sun 14-Aug-11 21:04:09

Not to share my sleeping bag with dh, everytime one of us moved the sleeping bag ended up with loads of cold air inside.

We now have one each ;-)

Got a travel car park, bedtime teddies, bug collection jars, bubbles, and a bucket for lo and his happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now