Talk

Advanced search

new to camping lots of questions help please

(13 Posts)
TheHumanCatapult Sun 14-Aug-11 09:05:23

after severa years out of camping after bad experiance am ready to restart.
but do have lot of questionsblush will try to do all in one post.

There are 5 of us myself and 4 children 17,14,8 and 6 both older ones are big tall lads to help wit tent up and down .

Tent wise have been offered a cabanon elody cheaply .Thinking this will work best as I need flat access for wheelchair am full time chair user and none of the modern tents are accessible

Am thinking eldest can always go in pup tent if needed .Do not want to go very big as at some point will not have te older two wanting to come .accept for compulsary helping me put up and down .And would be camping for at least 7 days at a time

Have been given a smaller pop up tent for weekend with just little 2 but be to small for any longer or any more of us

Know it will be heavy and bulky but have a wav so could get it in space wise and access is more important than weight

What is the minimal amount of equipment can get away with .For this year till my bank manger allows me to buy more over the winter.

Am thinking

sleeping bags ( good quality a must )
Eletric hook up
Airbeds .Though i need mine to be a double height around 50 cm allow for transfer to my wheelchair.
Kettle .do i need camping one or will argos basic do .
Heater same question as kettle

am thinking one of these for cooking www.caseysoutdoorleisure.co.uk/tristar-griddle-347-p.asp

Fridge .am wondering if this year could get away with the boys mini plug in fridge just for milk .

Also i have been advised becuase of using wheelchair .i would be better getting a heavy duty groundsheet as should not move so much under my wheels and will also offer more protection as a wheelchair applys a lot of pressure downwards.

any other advice greatfully recieved .

sorry lots of questions blushblush

whyme2 Sun 14-Aug-11 09:33:04

Well - working in no particular order from your list -

Definitely yes to the thicker groundsheet, I would also consider an extra groundsheet under your airbed as extra protection - the last thing you need is a puncture in your airbed. The last two years we haven't used air beds because we have been plagued by punctures but I understand you want the height to transfer from your chair.

I kind of think that airbeds for young children are a waste of time, they are not as warm, take up lots of space and always seem to puncture on us. This year we used a combination of self inflating mattresses and duvets underneath for insulation.

We have never used electric hook up. We use gas for cooking and next year we are saving for a fridge. We have never had a fridge for the last 7 years we have been camping. When we have been on weekend camps we have used ice packs and a cool box which has worked really well. One site we used let us refreeze our ice packs over night which was helpful.
On our week long camps we have just bought fresh milk as we have been out and about, it has kept overnight and we used it for breakfast. Everything else has come from a tin or packet unless we bought something to be used that evening so no hanging around in the warmth.

Don't know about using electric kettles sorry -we use a stove top whistling kettle.
Have also never had a heater (hardcore us grin ) Although we always choose a site which allows campfires and sit around this in the evening.

hth.

whyme2 Sun 14-Aug-11 09:38:28

Forgot to add - our first tent was very similar if not identical (memory fails me) to the one your are proposing. It is a good choice for you I think but I remember terrible arguments as we worked out how to erect it. It seemed so complicated.
Also if you can afford it buy 3 season sleeping bags, otherwise cheaper will do but take extra blankets and duvets for warmth.

And we have found this website helpful www.ukcampsite.co.uk

Shoutymomma Sun 14-Aug-11 09:47:53

Agree with blow up matresses being a pain for punctures. We've stopped after getting through at least one a year. Self inflators for kids would be ideal.

Argos, Asda, etc do kettles for a fiver, toasters too. Electric hook up - ebay. Be sure to check length as the cheap ones are only 5m long.

There are also some double burner stoves at a good price (around £20) on ebay right now. I think I'll invest in one so can do pasta/rice and sauce at same time for tea.

Look for an electric coolbox - roomier inside than a porta-fridge. We take milk, cheese and fruit juice for brekkie and it's nicer cool.

If you like a tipple, take a box of wine and put it in the site's freezer for an hour before wine o'clock. Easier than keeping it cool.

Shoutymomma Sun 14-Aug-11 09:51:26

PS Sorry can't offer any advice re your own specific camping needs but friends have a double blow up bed that they say is incredibly comfy and it is full bed height. Cost a fair bit though, I think.

TheHumanCatapult Sun 14-Aug-11 11:11:47

Thank you

We can not do without EHU as otherwise I will not be able to charge up my power chair and means will need to use my manual chair only and it would restrcit me far to much .with my power chair can get most places and accross most places .

so sinc ei need it figure i may as well enjoy the luxuries with itgrin

Will look for self inflators for the kids especially smaller 2 and get myself a asda/argos chepo kettle and toaster me without coffee in the morning is ugly .and think have a cool box so may drag that out it is more make do this year and indulge over the winter on buying what I woudl like v what i need .

Will google3 seasons sleepingbags to

TheHumanCatapult Sun 14-Aug-11 11:13:19

shouty

Could you please if have chance ask friends what make they use .Figure may not be cheap but lot less embarrsing than needing to drag soem poor bugge rin tio get me of the floor Im no lightweight blush

Shoutymomma Sun 14-Aug-11 13:28:23

They're away this week in Italy (we are hamster sitting!). Will check when they come back. All I can remember is that it was beige!
I paid a tenner for my EHU but it was at least £6 postage. Still not a bad price.
We take 4 ice pack so we can constantly have 2 in box and 2 in freezer.

GingerWrath Sun 14-Aug-11 14:12:21

Go outdoors are doing EHU for £30 with a mega long cable. We got our electric coolbox from Halfords for £50, plugs into the car too so keeps drinks and sarnies cold for the journey to and from site.

Anifrangapani Sun 14-Aug-11 14:19:01

If you don't fancy a blow up bed you could try a folding one.

www.google.co.uk/search?q=camping+bed&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a#q=camping+bed&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=ABw&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=m8pHTrPhLcayhAf0-M2QCA&ved=0CGQQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9fa09bc1a3cdd2f9&biw=1366&bih=675

Shoutymomma Mon 15-Aug-11 11:02:08

My kids have camp beds (cheapest if you order into store with Wilkinsons, Argos next cheapest.... I did a LOT of looking!!). They are really narrow though (20 inches) so I wouldn't recommend them if you are a large adut. You can get wider ones, obv more expensive, but the widest I've seen are 26 inches. Also, they only stand around 8-10 inches off the floor - not sure that would suit OP's needs.

TheHumanCatapult Mon 15-Aug-11 17:30:51

Thank you.

Now have double height airbed did try campbed and well lets say poor go outdoors guy was trying so ard not to laugh as i went arse over tit on it as it moved .But he did check i was ok before giving into laughter ...

and have my tent and a george forman grill and griddle that someone was getting rid of .So getting there

whyme2 Tue 16-Aug-11 05:53:23

Hope you have a good holiday. smile

Have you found a suitable campsite yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now