Talk

Advanced search

So what do you do when you go camping?? (Warning -this could have gone in AIBU, or relationships!)

(15 Posts)
LynetteScavo Sat 13-Aug-11 16:18:17

DM wants to take DS2 camping (he is her favorite grandchild)

DD wants to go too, so DM says yes, she can go with them.

I point out that DS1 will feel left out (this often happens when granny invites the younger DC over for a sleep over but not him. He puts on a brave "I don't care" face, but I know it hurts him. Even if he really doesn't want to go it would be nice if he were invited.)

So DM says DS1 can go too. All very well, but I don't actually trust DM with my three DC overnight in a field. In her home, which is around the corner from us is one thing, but camping is another. (Trust me on this - I won't go into the ins and outs now)

I then point out I will need to go too. (I bloody hate camping in this country, DM knows this) I say well, if we camp in X, we could go and visit<insert little known "tourist attraction"> which is a bit too far to go to in one day from where we live, and would be mildly educational for the DC.

DM says "OH NO! - you don't go and look at places when you go camping, you wander around looking at the country side and fields, and have a walk"

So what the feck do you do when you go camping?

PS
Last time she took DS2 camping they left at 5pm and were home by 9am. So obviously they didn't do that much.

YellowDinosaur Sat 13-Aug-11 16:53:38

There isn't one prescriptive thing to do when camping imho. You do what you like on your holiday and what suits one person will not suit another. Just like everything in life really.

Personally, weather permitting, I'd do the sort of things your DM has suggested. Buton our recent trip we drove for hours to visit stuff because it was wet and walks etc don't work with 2 small boys who don't like to be wet.

Not sure if that helps or not?

YellowDinosaur Sat 13-Aug-11 16:55:12

PS a lot of people come over here to get away from the ranty atmosphere in the rest of MN which I am guessing is typified but AIBU. So if you don't get many responses on this thread may be worth posting with a different title not including 'could have gone in AIBU' smile

Ephiny Sat 13-Aug-11 16:59:32

We normally walk, rain or no rain, as generally the main point of the holiday for us is to get out of London and into the middle of some nice walking country.

You can do whatever you like though, there are no rules!

LynetteScavo Sat 13-Aug-11 17:15:31

I've re-ranted re-posted in relationships, but thanks for your answers!

Sorry to spoil the tranquility of your campsite.

Just the thought of walking in the rain makes me shudder.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 13-Aug-11 17:19:42

We go on day trips when camping. Not necessarily if it is just a local weekend trip but we have camped specifically to go to Cadbury world and we just did 2 weeks in a tent. Would have been a bit boring if we had stayed put!

CMOTdibbler Sat 13-Aug-11 17:20:09

We camp and go and see things. I don't really like walking just for the sake of it tbh. We've camped at a theme park fwiw

Pixel Sat 13-Aug-11 19:37:07

We do a mixture of things. Lots of walking and exploring the surrounding countryside, but also try and visit somewhere that would normally be too far from home, eg when we went to the New Forest we took the dcs to Beaulieu motor museum, this year we are going to Warwickshire so will be sure to visit Warwick Castle. There isn't usually too much 'touristy' stuff as it is so expensive but we try and budget for one good day out. There doesn't seem to be much point in driving for 5 hours if we are just going to plonk down in a field and stay there.

mrspnut Sat 13-Aug-11 19:40:07

We do day trips and quite a lot of chilling. Walking is a minimal activity for us when camping as we have some fantastic walks at home so don't feel the need to do it elsewhere.

We use our National Trust membership an awful lot when we are away, and like nothing better than an afternoon pottering about some quaint little town buying nothing but looking in all the estate agents windows.

baldbyfifty Sat 13-Aug-11 19:41:34

Take lots of wine and numbers for good hotels/spas.

thisisyesterday Sat 13-Aug-11 19:48:59

oh we do loads of touristy stuff, plus some walking and looking at nice things.
but that's what i like doing on holiday... i am not one for lazing on a beach all day or just sitting by a pool, i like to go and visit places.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Aug-11 19:54:39

Mainly touristy type days out. Trips to the beach if weather is nice. National trust stuff. Will do some Walks but we tend to go to national park type places like peak district, Pembrokeshire, new forest. If we were camping in a more normal area I wouldn't go for a ramble across some ordinary fields.

bilblio Sat 13-Aug-11 22:48:52

We camp because it's a way of exploring the country, and we can't afford cottages or hotels, so we'd do what any tourist does in those areas.

We go to beaches, explore the countryside, visit towns, browse round shops, go to tourist attractions, anything really.

Before DD was born we did a lot more paid touristy things like country houses, now we've learnt to stick to the free things until she's a bit older. One too many experiences of her being bored, or scared or just rushing us round to get the the adventure playground. grin )

I like craft things and DH likes food, so we do spend a fair amount of time looking for craft shops, farm shops, or farmers markets.

Cathycat Sat 13-Aug-11 22:56:42

Well for the camp we're about to I think we'll we'll relax the first day and stay around camp weather permitting. Each day we'll either bike ride, visit the beach or go on a boat. Then we'll do the same again. One activity per day and relax, eat and drink in between. (Going off into dream land here!)

biscuitmad Tue 30-Aug-11 22:41:06

we stayed near the beach on our camping trip and sat by the sea everyday. They had evening entertainment which was abit crap but lo loved the characters. Lots of walking and looking around the campsite and just chilling out. Give kids a ball or bubbles and they entertain themselves for hours. Oh and i was able to read which I never get time to do at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now