Talk

Advanced search

Nice family campsite (tents) Cotswolds/Forest of Dean

(11 Posts)
Pawsnclaws Sat 13-Aug-11 15:27:53

Hello, we're taking some family friends who are virgin campers away for a couple of nights beginning of September. We thought this area would be nice for a short break as it's not too far (don't want to overwhelm them ....) but have never stayed here ourselves.

Toilets and showers essential but not really much else - though a site a nice walk to a pub would be great too. Any recommendations? TIA.

poppyandsneeze Sat 13-Aug-11 15:38:31

Hi we live in the forest of dean, well on the edge. I have been looking as well, as my dh wants to take my little boy away camping only local. I like the look of Doward Park Campsite near Symonds Yat (Ross and Monmouth). The reason why I would think of this area is, it is nice,you should get a nice camp site as the area is nice. I expect it is nice for families thinking of the area.

http://www.dowardpark.co.uk/ Here is the link. As I live in the area. I think that this is probably a good place to position yourself to visit the forest. I personally wouldn't want to camp in the Coleford area. I live on the outskirts of the forest and would think of Symonds Yat myself.

Hope this helps.

Pawsnclaws Sat 13-Aug-11 15:39:38

Thanks poppy I will look that up!

JetLi Sat 13-Aug-11 16:06:33

We stayed at Tudor near Slimbridge in our tent. www.tudorcaravanpark.com/index.php

Lovely pub just outside the entrance to the site with a myriad of nice ales and decent food. Was a few years ago now though, thinking about it - maybe 4 or 5.

SalomeD Sat 13-Aug-11 16:20:12

Thistledown is a wonderful site which allows campfires, it is near Nympsfield (Rose and Crown).

We've stayed there 4 times and my boys love it there.

thistledown

Pawsnclaws Sat 13-Aug-11 16:40:36

Thanks jetli and salomeD will look those up too.

Pawsnclaws Mon 29-Aug-11 12:11:25

OK, so we have booked Thistledown for two nights next weekend - it looks gorgeous. Will report back!

muchostinky Fri 02-Sep-11 17:14:56

SalomeD Thank you so much for recommending Thistledown - have just got back from there after 2 nights, it was gorgeous and we roasted!

It is definitely on my list to go again and we are already talking about booking it for next year!

grin

SalomeD Fri 02-Sep-11 23:24:14

So glad you enjoyed your stay, we're hoping for another weekend before it gets too cold.

Pawsnclaws Sun 04-Sep-11 19:53:57

Well we just got back - had a wonderful time. The setting was beautiful, lots of space for everyone to run around and we loved having a fire each night. The composting toilets (probably the thing that might put people off) were fine!

I would say it was slightly harder work than some campsites (ie having to haul staff down to the pasture on foot) but the benefits - no cars and no caravans - made it so worthwhile. Another great mm recommendation!

Funtimewincies Tue 06-Sep-11 10:41:18

Just looking with interest for next year, but thought that I'd let JetLi know that The Tudor Arms in Slimbridge is still in the Good Beer Guide (2011) to set his/her mind at rest grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now