Talk

Advanced search

So what is the point of a footprint then?

(12 Posts)
YellowDinosaur Fri 12-Aug-11 12:15:36

So i am looking at getting a new tent and there are all manner of optional extras that didn't exist last time I was looking! Like carpets and extensions and footprints?

And as far as I can tell the footprint is, in fact, jsut an extra ground sheet to stop the SIG getting dirty? Is this really it? Because if that is all there is to it I am not spending upwards of £50 on a bit of plastic when I can just wipe the SIG before I put it away!

Is that really it or am I spectacularly missing the point?

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 12-Aug-11 12:18:22

We just got a new tent and DH did get a footprint groundsheet because he reckoned it would help protect the sewn in groundsheet, in case on stones/holes etc and better to trash the extra one than the main tent. And bit more insulation.

Thats all I know, he is the camper, I am a hotel persongrin

sazm Fri 12-Aug-11 12:20:13

we bought our first tent last yr,and bought the footprint,i would def buy one again,it depends on the site also,if its got tree's etc around,it prevents sticks etc ripping the SIG, it also makes insulates the floor of the tent,and if the weather is rubbish it stops the SIG getting filthy and wet.
last time we went away it rained,we managed to leave the tent up long enough to dry so got it all packed away fine but the footprint was soaked and really muddy.meant when we got home we only had to hose the footprint and hang it over the line to dry, otherwise we would have had to try and lay tent out and wipe clean the bottom!
we sold our tent this yr,and will buy a new one for next yr,we are def getting one with footprint and carpet smile

Funtimewincies Fri 12-Aug-11 12:45:55

I think they're worth it for 2 reasons:

1) It protects the tent from sharp stones

2) Once pegged out it allows you to see exactly how much space you have for ropes and whether or not you'll need to move it a bit. MUCH easier than moving the entire tent grin...

...although I concede that no. 2 may only apply to those of us who are very spacially challenged blush.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Fri 12-Aug-11 12:51:05

Wiping clean the bottom of a tent is not very easy at all, that is why we have a footprint.

The bottom of the footprint is nearly always wet when we pack up, much better to take home a wet footprint than a tent with a soggy bottom.

Ours was not very expensive anyway, £30ish from what I recall.

Funtimewincies Fri 12-Aug-11 12:53:09

<snorts childishly at soggy bottom grin>

Sorry blush.

Funtimewincies Fri 12-Aug-11 12:54:24

Just realised who the OP is, let me get you a gin while you ponder the pros and cons grin.

YellowDinosaur Fri 12-Aug-11 15:23:32

Thanks for the gin funtime and I'm sniggering at soggybottom too so you are not alone in being childish gringringrin

So basically, it is:

1) To protect the SIG
2) To keep the main tent from getting so muddy and wet
3) To aid in the erection <further childish sniggering> of tent

<ponders whether worth it or whether would prefer to put £50 towards an iceytek...>

Funtimewincies Fri 12-Aug-11 19:30:58

Ahh...iceytek vs footprint, a really meaty dilemma grin!

Still footprint for me, I'm afraid. Will I be tarred and feathered by Slubber do you think?

stigofthedump Fri 12-Aug-11 20:07:52

Footprint can also help remove the need for a spirit level in tent erection if you actually take notice of where its been laid. We placed it on slope & therefore spent every night sliding down the length of the bedroom & clawing our way back up. So, yes, with the benefit of hindsight, its worth it.
DH says, stops the groundsheet getting dirtier, makes cleaning it easier & did I mention it eases erections.

Funtimewincies Fri 12-Aug-11 20:14:27

<claps hand over mouth and runs away>

YellowDinosaur Fri 12-Aug-11 20:47:01

funtime grin

Stig you don't SERIOUSLY use a spirit level when erecting your tent do you? Are you saying that a footprint stops the tent sliding down a hill if its pitched on a hill?

As for easing erections... gringringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now