Talk

Advanced search

what do you do about pillows?

(18 Posts)
Tommy Wed 10-Aug-11 23:18:24

don't seem to have sorted out the pillow situation yet for our camping trips. The blow up ones don't seem to do it, the small camping ones are too small and the regular ones jhust take up so much space!
What do other camping MNers do?

doozle Wed 10-Aug-11 23:21:35

Take nice regular pillows but before you go, vacuum pack them right down down in vacuum bags with your hoover.

Also do this with my nice duvet and hey presto, all the comforts of home but still doesn't take up endless amounts of space in your car.

ninah Wed 10-Aug-11 23:24:10

yeah I take my pillows and duvet

YellowDinosaur Wed 10-Aug-11 23:28:01

I take my regular pillows in roll up vacuum bags - these make them half the size but you don't have the issue of not having the vacuum cleaner with you when you need to go home. I got them in Argos

Tommy Wed 10-Aug-11 23:40:15

thanks - hadn't thought of the roll up vacuum bags - will check them out smile

mell242 Thu 11-Aug-11 10:00:01

What a great idea! I've just reserved some at our local Argos store. Will be trying them out tomorrow.

nobodysfool Thu 11-Aug-11 12:50:30

Agree with a vacuum bags.You can suck the air out when you are coming home with an electric hand pump.Cost- co has a great deal on at the moment laods of bags in various sizes for £20.

IloveJudgeJudy Sun 14-Aug-11 18:25:29

You could also do what we have done and buy Tesco Value pillows. They are about half the size of normal pillows, but are much nicer than camping pillows and squash down really well. They are also very cheap.

thell Sun 14-Aug-11 22:02:12

Just back from 2 nights camping...I took a cushion for each person (from the sofa) in a pillowcase, to bolster up with clothing to make them higher. Mixed success! Two cushions each might have worked, so they'd be the same height as a pillow, but half the width.

Cathycat Sun 14-Aug-11 22:29:21

I tend to use the older pillows from the beds in the house and use it as an opportunity to buy fresh for our home beds.

acsec Sun 14-Aug-11 22:32:40

I don't take pillows, use piles of clothes/ back pack/ arm, but then I've only really camped at festivals and then I have used my 'vodka pillow'.

With the vacuum packed normal pillows, what about when it's time to pack up, you won't have a hoover then to re-vacuum pack them?! (genuine question)

Tommy Sun 14-Aug-11 23:16:31

I was thinking that, acsec.
thanks for the tips everyone - will have a think for next time!

AngryFeet Mon 15-Aug-11 08:56:33

Most electric pumps have a deflate option which can be used in the same way to suck the air back out at home time smile

nobodysfool Mon 15-Aug-11 18:59:15

acsec- take the air pump and put it on deflate.

acsec Mon 15-Aug-11 19:26:04

Ah-ha! Thanks that solves that mystery smile Though I don't take an air pump either - just one of those thin foam mats and a sleeping bag.

Erebus Mon 15-Aug-11 20:28:34

Or buy compression sacks, the type 'proper' sleeping bags come in where you pack it, then pull hard on 4 woven straps to compress the whole thing right down. Just don't store your kit that compressed! It'l never loft-up again!

Erebus Mon 15-Aug-11 20:30:56

acsec- considered Thermarests or Fat Airics? OK, a bit bigger when rolled than a foam mat, and yes, poss ££ (go ebay!) BUT blimey, we choose Fat Airics over inflatable mattresses and camp beds, now, every time. Fab.

Get Tesco pillows and compress.

AuntieMaggie Mon 15-Aug-11 20:32:28

Pillows and duvet here too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now