Talk

Advanced search

Who has special tableware & cutlery that they only use for camping?

(38 Posts)
Sinkingfeeling Tue 09-Aug-11 22:26:08

We don't, we just grab some of the dc's battered old plastic plates and beakers from the back of the kitchen cupboard and shove a few forks in a plastic bag. My friend, on the other hand, has lovely vintage style melamine picnic plates and funky cutlery that stays in a special camping box where she can always find it. envy

AnnoyingOrange Tue 09-Aug-11 22:26:49

we do too

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Aug-11 22:28:05

um, yes i do

but it isn't fancy. it's an old set of tupperware and a £1.62 cutlery set from ikea

purplepidjin Tue 09-Aug-11 22:28:39

I have "camping" cutlery and crockery, but then my camping tends to take place in a van as opposed to a tent so it has plenty of storage i can make tea when it breaks down

donteatyourteawithnoknickerson Tue 09-Aug-11 22:30:25

A £4 set from go ouotdoors.... does that count?

Ponders Tue 09-Aug-11 22:31:54

like tiy, we kept a set of cutlery (ours was a complete mishmash), plus a set of plastic plates/mugs etc in the bag they came in, along with all the camping gear, so it was ready to go when packing

also a bucket full of washing-up liquid, sponges, fly spray, matches, teatowels, string etc

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 09-Aug-11 22:34:30

I have el cheapo asda smart price plastic plates cups bowls and cutlery. Full set of 6 of everything for less than a tenner. 4 melamine cups from home bargains for 79p each, they all stay in the storage box and it just goes from the loft straight into the trailer. Job done.

needanewname Tue 09-Aug-11 22:44:19

Well its not posh but its stuff used only for campng. Surely it makes sense, theres enough crap to pack without then having to find plates and cutlery etc.

Ponders Tue 09-Aug-11 22:53:54

& never forget the corkscrew smile

Beamur Tue 09-Aug-11 22:55:11

Yep. Not that 'special' though, just plastic.

DontCallMeBaby Tue 09-Aug-11 23:07:56

I've just bought some proper melamine-y plates as the bendy plastic ones we use for picnics aren't much cop when you've got a stew or something on them. DD and I have an enamel mug each, and DH a plastic one, plus I've recently bought plastic wine glasses (wine from one of those Ikea kids' beakers = weird), but other than that it's stuff grabbed from the kitchen. I'd like some camping cutlery though, as we're slowly but surely losing the old cutlery we usually take - I take it to work and seem to lose a teaspoon a month plus sporadic knife and fork losses.

Sinkingfeeling Tue 09-Aug-11 23:18:15

An Ikea kid's beaker is exactly what we drink wine from, Don't and it's quite weird. Maybe I need some proper camping stuff too, but our loft is crammed full with tent, Christmas tree, dh's scuba diving stuff and assorted crap and we don't have a garage. Which melamine-y plates did you go for?

Ponders Tue 09-Aug-11 23:39:06

there are clear plastic goblets out there - can't remember where we got ours from - obv the taste is the same but it doesn't feel as weird as drinking alcohol from a kids' beaker grin

funnypeculiar Tue 09-Aug-11 23:41:04

We have separate bowls, plates, cutlery, wine glasses and mugs (all cheapo) purely because it's easier to have everything in a separate box rather than find it each time. All utilitarian rather than glamp though.

funnypeculiar Tue 09-Aug-11 23:41:53

Cheap wine glasses from sainsburys or wilkos I think...

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Tue 09-Aug-11 23:52:48

We used to just get the oldest "proper" plates etc from the kitchen too, but I got sick of having to find and remember everything and then having to put it back afterwards, also after a while all the really crappy plates were broken and I didn't want to take the good stuff and have that broken too.

So I got a used but like-new set from Ebay, matching bowls/plates/mugs and even cutlery and yes we do keep it in a special box with all the other camping bits. That way we don't forget anything, it's all unbreakable and child-safe and although fairly cheap it is a really nice set too!

chipmonkey Wed 10-Aug-11 00:22:16

Every time ds1 goes camping, he loses camping cutlery and plates etc so I think it looks like the camping stuff is going to go the way of stuff in the kitchen generally which is now much more mismatched than when dh and I moved in together all those years ago.

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Wed 10-Aug-11 09:01:51

We have a trailer tent that has a kitchen attached so it always has the plates etc. In it. They are just plastic ones that we have bought in Wilkos, Pound Shop etc. They were originally from when we had a tent and i used to keep them in a box under the stairs.

CMOTdibbler Wed 10-Aug-11 09:17:56

I got a nice box of melamine plates, cups and bowls from Go Outdoors for a tenner the other week, and cutlery is from a cheap set from Argos - it all lives in the camping cookery box with spatulas/tin opener/corkscrew/etc so at least that bit is grab and go

PandaG Wed 10-Aug-11 09:22:49

yes, have a cheapish set of crockery from Go outdoors, and our old set of cutlery lives in one of the camping boxes too. Alos have duplicate spatulas wooden spoons etc, chopping board, knives...only things we add to kitchen stuff are teatowels, refill washhing up liquid and teabags. Makes packing easier!

CaurnieBred Wed 10-Aug-11 10:03:49

Me - got a plastic crockery set, glasses and cutlery that live in my kit boxes (2 x plastic storage boxes that live in the garage that can just be lifted into the car). The boxes also contain:

Bin bags x 4
Chopping Mat x 2
Clothes line
Clothes Pegs
Collander
Cook set
corkscrew/bottle opener
Dettol wipes
Dish cloth & Brush
Dish towel x 2
Disposable gloves
Duct tape
Dustpan & Brush
Kitchen towel
Lamps
Mallet x 2
Matches
Pepper & Salt
Plastic salad servers
Rubber gloves
Rugs x 2
Salad bowl
Sharp knifes
Torch x 3
Trug
Utensil set
Washing up liquid
Zip lock bags

I only put this together this year as I was fed up going round every trip pulling the different things from the various cupboards/drawers/shelves where they were stored.

lovecat Wed 10-Aug-11 10:35:23

Caurnie, I do exactly the same only not to the same extent - one box for eating/kitchen/cleaning related stuff. The rugs/cushions etc that we take are part of DD's room decor - she (thankfully) likes that it's her stuff we take away with us (and it's all union jack-themed in various colour combos) so they live there the rest of the year.

And, being born again to the gl camping lark, I spent silly money on some Emma Bridgewater 'heart' pattern melamine plates and bowls, and found co-ordinating tough plastic beakers from TK Maxx with flowers embossed on them. And some pottery mugs with hearts on them that almost match the plates. Yes, it's poncey, but they're very well made and (hopefully) long-lasting. And it gives me a sense of enormous well-being (to quote Damon Albarn) whenever I look at them smile

notwavingjustironing Wed 10-Aug-11 10:52:32

Another two boxer here. I built up my kit with spares from the kitchen, then added everything else from the Tesco Value Range. Some items were just pence.

It does make the list making a bit easier to bear when you can tick at least half of the things off before you start.

Although I do do an inventory before each trip to make sure no-ones "borrowed" anything out of my boxes than I know I've got....

<gets a life>

AlmaMartyr Wed 10-Aug-11 10:58:05

We do, yes. Although have just bought some more from Go Outdoors because our set only had 2 lots of everything and there are 4 of us now. Like others, I have two plastic storage boxes full of all the essentials for camping which makes it dead easy to pack, especially for a weekend.

Pootles2010 Wed 10-Aug-11 11:00:15

We have a fab picnic set, it is a picnic bag with insulated pockets, space for bottle of wine, plastic glasses, tableware, salt + pepper shakers, little chopping board + sharp (ish) knife, and even napkins (preen).

Its fab because it has all bits you'd forget (like S+P).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now