Talk

Advanced search

I've just seen my first bell tent in the flesh

(35 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Aug-11 23:28:37

its three pitches down from me. Would it be cheeky to ask to have a peek inside it tomorrow?

cuddlysmurf Mon 08-Aug-11 23:34:50

Nope. They'll likely be delighted to show you around wink

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Aug-11 23:38:01

Excellent, it looks quite small. Smaller than what I thout it would be so think it must be a 4m one. I will quiz them on ease of erection!

Ripeberry Mon 08-Aug-11 23:45:52

Very easy to get up. We have a 5 meter one with sewn in groundsheet. We've had a few people ask about it over the years smile

VivaLeBeaver Mon 08-Aug-11 23:53:24

I wonder if they're a mums netter. Maybe I should slip the word fanjo into the conversation or ask her if she has any nice ham in an icey tek box and see what she says!

winefairy Tue 09-Aug-11 07:57:15

Ask to peek inside, Viva. They'll be well used to it. In one evening last week we had five separate people coming for a look inside. Admittedly that was a little odd!

<snorts with laughter at the Mumsnet Camping Code....any nice ham in your Icey Tek?>

victoriasmith Tue 09-Aug-11 09:08:02

we did this to a very obliging couple who gave us a guided tour of their bell and detailed instructions on how to pitch it! lovely bell tent people!

MisSalLaneous Tue 09-Aug-11 18:34:58

grin at the idea of mentioning the word fanjo and then asking complete strangers to let you into their tent. I'd pay good money to see their reaction if not mn'ers.

I've got a bell tent and wouldn't mind at all. Actually, I've been on the other side of this situation: A little girl and her friend cycled past first, and then half an our later her mum with her. You could see she was showing her mum, and we weren't quite sure what to do. We smiled and said hallo etc, but thought it might look presumptuous if we ask them whether they wanted to look closer. As long as not first thing in the morning, I wouldn't have minded showing them at all. A bell feels SO much bigger inside, you really have to get in it to get a true feeling.

lovecat Tue 09-Aug-11 18:41:52

we've had people stop by and talk at length about the tent, but no-one's ever asked to look inside and, like MisSal, I'd feel slightly presumptious in offering this to them. If anyone asked, however, I'd show them like a shot.

winefairy Tue 09-Aug-11 18:56:51

Really? Did I just go the oddest campsite ever then?! I swear all asked to look inside although it was open so maybe it looked inviting! <deludes self> One even took photos! Do you think I could have been pitched next to some pampas grass or something?!

pictish Tue 09-Aug-11 18:59:17

We have a 5 metre bell tent and it's fantastic!! grin

pictish Tue 09-Aug-11 19:00:48

Lots of people offer compliments, but no-one has ever asked to look inside!! shock

I'd let them - it's gorgeous. wink

pictish Tue 09-Aug-11 19:01:30

And yeah - they are really tardis like inside.

MisSalLaneous Tue 09-Aug-11 19:02:14

winefairy, maybe lovecat and I are more scary looking!

needanewname Tue 09-Aug-11 19:12:27

So did you ask Viva - I wold be happy to show anyone inside my bell tent. In fact I quite fancy a camping trip soon....

winefairy Tue 09-Aug-11 19:19:00

Doubtful, MisSal. Very doubtful. Nice try though! I'm scary at the best of times but we were en route home from Camp Bestival! My hair was matted and DD had gone feral.

Although, I now suspect I may have been giving off more than a hint of giddy labrador, given that it was the bell tents inaugural outing.

They were all just trying to humour me, weren't they? Oh, the shame!

VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Aug-11 21:46:44

Am going to ask tomorrow. Their little one was inside, asleep by the time we got back tonight. They have fairy lights strung up, she must be a mums netter.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Aug-11 16:35:23

Right, I've had an inspection! I went over and told them I loved their tent and that I was thinking of getting one. Had an immediate invite to inspect inside. It's a 4m one and it does look bigger inside than from the outside but think I would probably still want a 5m one. It's lovely and light inside.

It's their first time camping so they've never had a non canvas tent. They said it was very easy to pitch it. Teirs has a removable groundsheet as he said he pegged that out first. I forgot to ask if it's a bell tent or a soul pad.

oranges123 Wed 10-Aug-11 16:53:54

You can tell without asking Viva, if you are still near them. The Soulpad ones have a smiley face icon sewn to the front of their tent somewhere. Not sure about Belltent ones. Our Obelink has "Happy Campers" and a flower printed on it.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Aug-11 17:10:48

I think it must be a bell tent then.

pictish Wed 10-Aug-11 17:14:44

A Soulpad IS a bell tent!

We have a Soulpad. grin

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Aug-11 17:35:56

Sorry, by bell tent I mean a bell tent.co.uk bell tent.

needanewname Wed 10-Aug-11 19:09:47

Don't worry they're all the same tent, they just have different labels thats all!

I would personally recommend a zipped in groundsheet. That way you have the comfort of being completely enclosed in rain and wind and being able to roll the sides up in the heat. The groundsheet is heavier and thicker than a separate groundsheet.

I want to camping again now now now now now!

overmydeadbody Thu 11-Aug-11 15:38:12

I want a belltent.

There was someone with one in the campsite in Oban last week. They had pink heart bunting. I got tent-envy grin

Migsy1 Sat 13-Aug-11 16:56:56

I have a belltent from Soulpad. I have been in normal nylon tents too. The belltent is luxury in comparison. It does not get stuffy and hot in the sun and I'm sure it retains more heat in the evening.
Since buying my tent I found that you can get them significantly cheaper from a Dutch site. www.obelink.nl/tenten/groepstenten.html
I bought a tarp from this site and another smaller tent afterwards and the service was quick.
Do not click on the UK site as the UK site does not sell belltents. You can use Google translate when ordering.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now