Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody got the Coleman extreme cooler?

(11 Posts)
nobodysfool Sun 07-Aug-11 21:31:03

These seem to be the bees knees of coolers if you listen to the reviews online.What do you think of them and where is the cheapest supplier?
Thanks.

Gymbob Sun 07-Aug-11 22:37:36

Sorry, have no experience of Coleman coolers, although I did read the reviews when I was looking around, and they were very good. Go to http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ and you will find all you need to know. It's a wealth of information for campers - I love the site.

We ended up with a 3 way fridge. Expensive, but the cool boxes are such a pain IMO, ours packed up half way through our camping hol.

troutpout Mon 08-Aug-11 15:47:00

Yes we have one and they really do what they say they do !
Sorry don't know where is cheapest now as we got ours last year.

DontCallMeBaby Mon 08-Aug-11 17:03:16

Ours was from here which with free delivery is still a good price. I think I actually found it on www.kidztravelshop.co.uk but when I click through from my order email it takes me to the previous link, so I guess it's the same company in different guises - your choice might depend on what, if any, extra stuff you were tempted to chuck in with our order. wink

Haven't used it in anger yet - first excursion is this weekend, which isn't exactly going to test it in extremis given the weather forecast. <<sulks>>

nobodysfool Tue 09-Aug-11 19:19:00

thanks for your replies.Sounds like this is the one to get (longing for an icey tek but cant afford it). Shame the one on the link is Sold out that is a good price.

mel2005 Tue 09-Aug-11 19:25:16

norwich camping had them at a good price, not sure what the delivery is with them, i was looking at 50l in there but i decided to get an igloo marine 54 (52l) because it has more usable space, a stronger lid with the option of adding a cushion to make a comfy seat and a child clip. i also wanted an icey-tek but they are twice the price for the same ice retention (although they look nicer and are more compact)

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Aug-11 19:28:54

yes i have the 36qt one and it's great

kept all our stuff for 5 of us cool for a week (topped up with ice half-way through the week as we ate stuff and our ice block gradually melted)

thisisyesterday Tue 09-Aug-11 19:29:37

i got mine from amazon which was cheapest i could find at the time

rosieposey Tue 09-Aug-11 19:31:19

Ive got one. We used it last weekend from Thursday to Sunday at Camp Bestival. There was still some ice to empty out on Sunday night when we got back - it definately does keep things cold but we tried to open it as little as possible.

You need to put lots of chilled and frozen things in it though - i put in 4 bags of ice and made sure everything that went in it was straight from the fridge. I can recommend them.

nobodysfool Wed 10-Aug-11 11:19:21

thanks for the replies.Cant wait to get one now.

Tangle Wed 10-Aug-11 21:09:09

We took ours to Burgundy for 2 weeks last September and it coped fine. We did have access to a freezer to keep ice-packs topped up, but didn't find it a struggle to keep it cold.

Like any passive coolbox, you'll get the best performance by pre-chilling the box, making sure everything is chilled before putting it in, minimising the amount of air in the box (don't get one too big and fill any gaps with ice, towels, anything that can cope with getting a bit soggy!) and by opening the box as little as possible.

I don't quite understand Gymbob's comment re. a coolbox packing up in the middle of a trip wrt a passive coolbox like the Coleman Extreme, as there isn't really anything to go wrong. From what I've read you'll get better performance from a good passive coolbox than from a powered one, as that will only be able to to cool to a number of degrees below ambient air temperature (most reviews I saw said about 15C - not so helpful if you're daytime temperature is high 20's or 30's).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now