Talk

Advanced search

When to buy a tent?

(19 Posts)
cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 00:02:19

I really really really want to buy a tent but we've already got our holidays booked for this year and so don't strictly speaking need to buy one right now. Is it worth holding on for end Sept/Oct? Am expecting lots to go on ebay and Preloved when the summer is over and as people start wanting to get cash together for Xmas and hoping for some end of season sales too? Is this the best plan or do retailers have their sales before the end of the season, i.e. now.

In my dreams, I want an Outwell Vermont XL plus a Quecha Base 2 for weekends/en route. Realistically am considering a Wynnster Perpignan 6, Vango Icarus 600 + enclosed canopy or, pushing the boat out a bit more, a Vango Amazon or Monte Verde 600. What do you think value wise?

I don't want a mega tent but do need plenty of space for 2 adults plus 3 children for 2 week holidays and would like something which can be used on small woodland sites in the UK as well as Euro mega sites.

help... am driving my husband mad... it's becoming an obsession already.

& while I'm rambling, does any one use camping cheques and are they worth it? It looks like a good way to get reasonably priced ferry crossings as well as taking care of most of the campsite costs in France

Would appreciate any advice.

cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 00:07:28

I think that I meant to say that I don't 'need' a mega tent, I do obviously want one!

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 07-Aug-11 00:20:16

got my new Vango last November <weirdo emoticon> I wanted a 5-man tent but as we have a caravan and a very little tent I didn't strictly need to have it blush. In Nov when any other sane person was christmas shopping i was there buying me a tent. I did get a free tent carpet and awning extension thingy, and the tent was well cheaper than six months earlier grin. I love a bargain!!

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 07-Aug-11 00:21:43

and yes you're right - retailers starting to sell off now. Start looking wink

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 07-Aug-11 18:44:16

Bump for all of you who've just got back from your camping weekends grin

cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 19:30:46

Thanks MrsShrek. Am now seriously considering a Vango Tigris 800 with canopy extension. Seems to give us all the space that we need without too big a footprint. When to buy though? Now from a retailer - just over £350 for tent + footprint + carpet + extension - or wait until Sept/Oct for an ebay/preloved bargain. Please help me!

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 07-Aug-11 19:50:30

What size footprint are they (nosey) some sites a bit fussy so you are wise to consider it.

Re camping cheques - have not used them, I book ferries 9mths plus in advance and get the good deals that way. Are you camping and caravanning club members? Some discounts to be had ther re ferry and pitches - ESP caravan club. Otoh, my dada uses camping cheques and he's an official Supreme Tight Arse, so it must save a few quid. grin

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 07-Aug-11 19:52:05

Dada??? blush am on phone and it does random autocorrects and my typing is crap on here!!

cheerup Sun 07-Aug-11 21:06:17

560x740 inc canopy. Is it over 700 or 800 some sites want to charge more?

haha at Dada - I just thought that you were very close wink

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 07-Aug-11 23:01:31

Bog off grin

cheerup Mon 08-Aug-11 12:45:25

Talking of bogs, I like the side extension on the Montana 6 with that in mind but not convinced that justifies the expense.

3cutedarlings Mon 08-Aug-11 13:27:17

I would say now if you want a brand new one, there are some real bargains to be had!

I spotted this earlier Wynnster perpignan which includes footprint and carpit, they also do the polyester one with carpet for £249.99 shock seems like too gooder offer to miss, if you ask me wink grin

cheerup Mon 08-Aug-11 13:53:14

The Perpignan was where I started. It does seem good value but then I saw a Vermont XL with the enclosed canopy and got a bit carried away but it's out of our price and size range. Now I'm thinking a Tigris 800 with enclosed canopy or back to the Perpignan confused confused I like the layout of the Perpignan although dh prefers the Tigris as he wants to be further from the DCs and it has steel poles which I understand are preferable to fibreglass. Problem is that I now want something with an enclosed porch to use as a kitchen area so that I can cook or at least make a cuppa even if it's pouring down. Is this silly? Or can I get a universal enclosed canopy that would fit on the Perpignan? The deals on 2010 tents do seem to be selling out, when will they start discounting 2011 models? Ahhhh - indecision... buy now or wait & which tent. My dh is now refusing to discuss it.

cheerup Mon 08-Aug-11 13:54:15

I meant that the Perpignan has steel poles... see what I mean, confused.

3cutedarlings Mon 08-Aug-11 14:25:51

The front canopy on the perpignan is more that suitable for cooking under, we have a Kampa croyde 6 which is almost identical in design, and we cook under the canopy with no problems. (kampa by the way is another one for you to look at the quality is equal to outwell but they are cheaper.)

The Pergignan polycotton is without question the best tent on your list, not just by the fact that it steel poled, the best bit is that its polycotton!!! take a look at the prices of the outwell polycotton tents shock grin.

PebblesAndWine Mon 08-Aug-11 15:08:18

We have just got back from our first camping trip with our brand new wynnster perpignan 8. Utterly fantastic tent, you can't go wrong. Easy to put up and totally huge. We bought from Jr leisure it was £275 for the tent, carpet and footprint. Would highly recommend!

cheerup Sun 14-Aug-11 06:23:36

We went to Yeoman's yesterday and dh was very taken with the Bear Lake 6, as was I - it was the only tent that wasn't unbearably hot within 2 mins of going inside. We don't have that kind of budget though. Fortunately the Perpignan 6 polycotton seems to have nearly all the same features at a fraction of the price so I think we're going to go for it. Just before I do, does anyone think now is the wrong time to buy and that prices will go down over autumn/winter? Dh thinks that we should wait but I'm worried that we'll lose out if we wait. I can only find two stockists online and they say they've only got a few each.

midoriway Tue 16-Aug-11 10:29:06

Retailers are already discounting heavily now. If you want a good range, I would hit the shops this weekend. Wait later, and you will still get good prices, but not the range.

Last weekend, after our beloved but cheap vango tipi died in the hills of Shropshire, we walked into millets on Shrewsbury High Street with no research no idea and expected to get fleeced. We walked out with an Outwell magic 5 berth with a tonne of extras for £350. Fantastic deal. Smaller than what you are looking for, but what a beautiful, strong, comfy tent. I am now a convert to Outwell for the rest of my life. There are some great deals around at the moment.

Tangle Tue 16-Aug-11 14:04:39

We've just ordered camping cheques for a holiday this September. Last year we were paying the campsite rates and discovered we could have saved something like E10 per night using camping cheques. BUT you can't use them during the high season - which more or less means you can only use them during school term times. Fine for us at the moment, but worth being aware of before committing.

re. tent, we currently have an Outwell Nevada M - we got it as it was nice enough not to put us off but didn't (totally) blow the budget. The plan was always to go to canvas at some point if camping worked out. We have the front awning and I think it would be too small for a couple of weeks for the 3 of us (DD is 4) without it.

Happy shopping - and let us know what you get smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now