Talk

Advanced search

which affordable waterproof jacket?

(8 Posts)
ReshapeWhileDamp Sat 06-Aug-11 22:29:08

And by 'affordable', I mean ideally, under £50 in the sales, though obviously that might net me a bargain at the moment. I noticed that there are a lot of heavily reduced waterproofs in the end-of-summer (wahh!) sales in outdoor shops. Am going to Go Outdoors tomorrow. I think I need the equivalent of a gastric band on my wallet. wink

I know nothing of the leading brands (except that they're famous names) and have very little idea of what I'm buying - I'm very much a fair weather walker but need something sturdier than a Kag in a Bag (which is all I seem to have at the moment for rain) and ideally would like something lightweight enough to slip on over a t-shirt but also to wear during downpours the rest of the year, over jumpers/fleece, etc. Nice colours would be a bonus, as am fed up of all my coats being charcoal/black/brown/navy. smile

Thanks for any help or tips!

sazm Sat 06-Aug-11 22:48:42

i got a nice lightweight regatta in yeomans the other day,£34 down from £59 i think,the one i bought was black, but they had pink/purple/turquoise and a few other colours for £22.
so far i like it, i had a crag hoppers one before - for 4-5yrs,wore it everyday,and although its still going strong i figured it was time for a change!!

ReshapeWhileDamp Sat 06-Aug-11 23:53:03

Thanks, Sazm. smile Why did you like the Craghoppers one (assuming they had any of theirs reduced that low)? Will look at Yeomans, though am hoping to try on before I buy.

JetLi Sun 07-Aug-11 08:00:04

Regatta have an online outlet store - I'll find a link

lovecat Sun 07-Aug-11 10:54:13

Do you have a TK Maxx near you? Our local one currently has an enormous range of waterproof jackets and I got one there for £35 which is absolutely the business, windproof, waterproof to HH5000 (which is more than my tent!), lightweight and came in jade green, pink, mid-blue, grey and other colours in a variety of sizes and makes.

The one I got is by a firm called 'White Rock', which I'd never heard of (ski company?), but it had the best spec/colour combo for me and it's brilliant, I've used it in a total downpour and stayed completely dry and cosy.

winefairy Sun 07-Aug-11 12:02:06

Funnily enough I got my Craghoppers jacket from TK Maxx a couple of years ago. I really like the cut. More feminine and flattering than most. And, in a desperate attempt to recover from sounding incredibly shallow, can I add that it is very wind and waterproof?!!

You could also try the Craghoppers sale which ends tonight. Good reductions.

ReshapeWhileDamp Sun 07-Aug-11 16:46:56

Local TK Maxx is 50 mins drive, plus expensive parking, plus it's a large and hellish town that I don't want to drag DSs through! grin I miss being able to pop into TK Maxx - it only 'works' for you if you're able to pop in at least once a week to see what new goodies are in. I used to do that a lot when I lived in Cardiff. I have an entire Spode Blue Italian dinner service (old fart emoticon) from 'popping in'.

I went to Go Outdoors today and agonised over various posh (Berghaus, etc) jackets for £65 (reduced down) and ended up with a perfectly nice Regatta jacket for £25 (with store card). It's petrol blue, not the zingy green I rather fancied, but fine all the same. smile

sazm Mon 08-Aug-11 01:10:14

yep i got my craghoppers one from tkmaxx too (for about £25 i think) , tbh it was a pouring wet day and we were going to a farm park,thats the only reason i bought it!! i have worn it everyday and it still looks new,its windproof too and not too thin/thick lol,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now