Talk

Advanced search

caravans. What layout do you have in yours ?

(18 Posts)
Oblomov Fri 05-Aug-11 21:21:54

Do you have beds at both ends. Or a bedroom with en-suite. when we go round caravan show-rooms, they all have new layouts that we just don't like. And the layout we like, seems to only be in old fashioned, old caravans.
What do you have ? and how does it work for you ?

Furball Sat 06-Aug-11 06:48:40

We have a 4 birth - an L shape lounge, side dinette (converting to bunks) and a really good size end bathroom. (though we have had only 2 showers in 2 years as we use facilities on site)

It works fine, the L shaped lounge is excellent, but is something they don't seem to do anymore. although it looks like (especially the bailey range) have got rid of the chest of drawers and now do a U shaped lounge, which looks good.

what layout were you after?

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 06-Aug-11 07:16:12

We've got two long seats at the front which convert in to a large double, kitchen in the middle on one side, bathroom on the other, and the back has two 4ft ish seats with a table (brilliant for breakfasts and dc playing) which converts to a double and a bunk over for sleeping. 5birth obv, elddis, and we've had it from new 6 yrs.
What sort if thing are you thinking of?

mathsgeek Sat 06-Aug-11 08:24:45

This site allows you to search by layout

Oblomov Sat 06-Aug-11 13:04:41

swiftchallenger
I have shown a swift challenger like ours.
The reasons why I like it :
As enter, straight ahead, toilet tiny, and we only use it at night. Shower never used because our site showers are fab.
Right, 2 seats. Table stored in toilet, so we can eat here, or play cards. Converts good double, for ds's to sleep. Above it is a single bunk, that we haven't even told the ds's about yet !!
The cooker and fridge on left hand side is fine.
Down at left is 2 more seats. But instead of the pine cupboard sticking up, we have another cushion, that makes it into a u shaped seating area. This is very good for us, and we all sit and watch tv. This converts to a huge, almost triple bed, which is fab for dh and I.

I am not keen on the new layous. Many have huge bedroom at far left, or a huge bathroom, far left, which is not good utilisation of space for our family needs.

And I don't know if I am being a totally numpty techno wise, but even that site, ( thanks for link, mathsgeek), I seem unable to find layouts like ours. is that because our layout is very old fashioned and not sought after any more ?
Or am I missing something really simple ? ( wouldn't be first time !!wink)

Furball Sat 06-Aug-11 15:45:26

It's because yours is a 5 birth

If you click the 5 birth thing there are loads and 223 like yours smile

borderslass Sat 06-Aug-11 21:38:46

we have a 6 berth bailey ranger with triple bunk /end dinette bathroom in middle and long bunks at other end.

bacon Sat 06-Aug-11 22:49:58

I have an avondale Dart - 5 berth - central bathroom. Best option with a family as why waste space on bathroom? complete waste of time.

When its wet and miserable outside space is a premium so think about how yr family will sit and amuse themselves. Most sites have great washroom facilities and you wont be showering as it uses too much water.

Also when cooking the last thing you want is children behind you - you want them playing in their own space. Also you can leave it unmade if you like and shut the doors. Using the bunk area for storage of toys etc.

I dont get the fixed bed option at all. Seems to be baised towards the older couples. You might as well go B&B as this kind of set up goes against the camping ethos for me. I know that many makers still do this kind of layout. If buying new I would aim for a coachman.

Watch the weight and length - be realistic towing something big is going to cost not only in fuel but double axle costs more to run and service. The good thing about my avondale is its lightweight. We bought it 2nd hand with awning etc paid around £5k and to be honest we hardly use it so paying more is a complete waste. You want to be able to tow it yourself too if hubby is drowsy or feeling unwell so length does matter. Make sure your car has the power to pull fully laden. I have a bimmer 3 litre but the fuel consumption is terrible.

ChippyMinton Sat 06-Aug-11 23:10:48

I like the fixed double bed [lazy] although I agree it is aimed at the couples market. The DC are quite adept at making up the double dinette, and tend not to stray into 'our bedroom' unless it's to get clothes. Agree a bathroom is a waste of space, but a loo is very useful. The living space depends on whether you have good weather and an awning - very different requirements for UK weekends compared to a fortnight in France.

If I was buying (we borrow my parents) my priority would be two table/seating areas for daytime use, and 3 single bunks and a decent double.

cuddlysmurf Sat 06-Aug-11 23:34:51

Ancient Elddis with a "shower room" and curtained double bed end typically shated bh DS 2.10 and I; with "non curtain end" shared by DH and dog blush

Worked perfect for us for 2 weeks - with DH and I using onsite facilities and DS bathed in a multipurpose plastic box blush. Awning not used much as weather non cooperative wink

cuddlysmurf Sat 06-Aug-11 23:35:43

Shared not shated.hmm

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 06-Aug-11 23:43:33

shated could mean something completely different grin
awesome word.

BensonBunny Sun 07-Aug-11 00:00:00

We've got an Elddis Avante 556 with two bunks across the back of the caravan. It works well for us but is a heavy caravan meaning we need a big heavy car to tow it. We use our awning all the time, a little fan heater means we can be warm in there at Easter.

Oblomov Sun 07-Aug-11 15:08:21

shared/shated/shafted wink

springlamb Sun 07-Aug-11 16:11:19

I have the supercyclone, which is fab for families with 2 children. Large bathroom at one end with central door, two fixed single beds (not bunks) either side of the bathroom door, kitchen, L-shaped lounge which converts to a double or can, if you are shortarses like DH and I, be used as singles. When the DC were a little younger, they'd go off to bed and all we needed to do was tiptoe past to use the bathroom. Gives them their own space as well.
Downside - it's a really heavy caravan.

sleepwouldbenice Sun 07-Aug-11 21:47:24

11 year old eldiss cyclone

its a 5 berth for 4 of us - bunk bed at one end, double bed at bottom - AND WE CAN SHUT THE DOOR ON THE DC'S..... which is why we bought itgrin. we leave it set up like that on site

middle = bathroom (never use shower) and kitchen.

other end eating area converts to our double bed. recently tried our large awning for first time and therefore put table and chairs in awning and left our bed set up

works for us!

milkybarsrus Mon 08-Aug-11 10:36:56

I have a 5 berth and the set up is as follows;- 2 long sofas facing each other at front of van and small double and bunk at the rear. works well for us, never bother making front seats into a kingsize bed (too much hassle) and make up the small double at beginning of camping holiday and leave up til we are on our way back home. keep all our bedding on the small double during the day so theres no messing about trying to get it out late at night. we put bedding away if the weathers bad and need the table set up at that end. Don't use the shower in the van as only use the site facilities, but as we have teens its used for all of us as a changing room (yes its small but does the job). large awning with annexes if going for a main holiday in it, porch awning for short stays, pup tents for teens if weather ok or they sleep in van if its not. Lots depends on your budget, age of children, type of sites you use (we only go to ones with very good washroom facilities etc) and whether you want to use it out of the summer season? Love it, but caravanning is not a cheap hobby!

Fizzylemonade Mon 08-Aug-11 12:34:24

Just a thought, if you aren't using your bunk then why don't you remove it? My best mate has just removed hers to allow her more weight in the van.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now