Talk

Advanced search

Midges - can anyone recommend an insect repellant?

(9 Posts)
anchovies Fri 05-Aug-11 10:47:34

Camping this weekend on a site with a reputation for midges, I get bitten really badly and am yet to find an insect repellant that works. So just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

louby86 Fri 05-Aug-11 10:54:17

My mum bought me something called mosquito milk, as the jungle fever type stuff bothered my asthma. It came in a bottle like roll-on APD and you put one roll down your leg and one down your arm. It's the only thing that has ever stopped me from getting attacked by insects! I'm not sure where she bought it from but you could google it and see if a big boots store or something has it? Hope this helps!

MaureenMLove Fri 05-Aug-11 10:57:46

Avon, Skin So Soft moisturiser. Many, many years camping on the West coast of Scotland and we've tried everything to keep the wee beasties at bay!

It really works and I know lots of people on here, will second that.

LalalalalalaSummerHoliday Fri 05-Aug-11 11:01:42

In a word, no. 2 of my girls suffer badly with midgie bites. Skin so Soft has done no good. Best thing, is to keep covered up, and if you must pitch tent when they're bad, wear a mosie head net. DH has had to pitch with us inside the tent on occasion in just such a getup.

Oh, might be too late, but they reckon Vit B may stop them biting you, if you take it for a few weeks before. I think there may be something in this one, as definitely those 2 girls suffer in a way that the rest of us don't. Every year they look like they've had chickenpox, and everyone asks about it!

JemimaMuddledUp Fri 05-Aug-11 11:09:51

The best thing I ever found was that lemony smelling stuff that they give you in Turkey to cool down/repel insects. I have no idea what it is called, but it works!

Avon skin so soft is pretty good, a lot of my friends with horses use it to keep them off. But I still find I come home from camping trips looking like I've had chicken pox sad

Ceolas Fri 05-Aug-11 22:24:25

Not tried it but here's something specifically for midges. Maybe for your next trip!

HeidiHole Fri 05-Aug-11 22:28:31

Avon Skin so soft is the best. Not marketed for midges but anyone who knows anything will tell you its the best!

travailtotravel Sat 06-Aug-11 15:42:45

I get really badly bitten. I use LifeVenture 50% deet. That keeps the little shits at bay ...

I did use Mosi Milk and it was good ... off to google to see where I can get it, thanks for the reminder!

piebald Sat 06-Aug-11 20:28:40

Eat more marmite!
It may be a coincidence but i dont get badly affected by midges and i have always eaten marmite and i have been told that a diet high in B vitamins can help keep them at bay.
I see now you can also buy a little zapper to put on the bites that delivers a little anti histamine. I can see how that could be useful for an odd clegg bite but you would be kept busy to zap at the rate midgies can bite!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now