Talk

Advanced search

6 weeks travelling in campervan around europe with 8 month old, are we mad?

(14 Posts)
NorthernMarshmallow Thu 04-Aug-11 19:40:38

Dh, ds (will be 8 months) and I are setting off at the end of august for a 6 week adventure in europe in our campervan. We've taken ds camping in the Uk for short trips (with varying success!) but this will be his first time abroad.
Has anyone done anything similar, or got any tips?
Am wondering what water ds should drink? I seem to remember drinking bottled water when camping in europe before but mineral water isn't recommended for babies, what does anyone else use? Ds is BF so at least that bit is easy.
Am getting excited, but also a little nervous, are we mad?!?
Too late now as ferries are booked.
Any advice gratefully received!

lachesis Thu 04-Aug-11 19:41:49

No, you're not mad. One baby that age is a piece of piss, believe me.

fivegomadindorset Thu 04-Aug-11 19:48:21

No, have fun.

fivegomadindorset Thu 04-Aug-11 19:48:55

Evian if I remember rihtly is fine, just check for low sodium content.

KingofHighVis Thu 04-Aug-11 19:49:49

If you think that you can handle 6 weeks in a van then the addition of a baby is unlikely to cause to many extra problems.

I've never bothered with bottled water when travelling in europe. Same EU drinking water dizrective as the uk.

JetLi Fri 05-Aug-11 19:20:01

envy envy

I think it sounds blardy wonderful

belgo Fri 05-Aug-11 19:20:52

I am so jealous!

belgo Fri 05-Aug-11 19:22:00

Which countries will you be visiting?

JetLi Fri 05-Aug-11 19:27:23

I think I heard a HV here say to use Evian for making up bottles when in forrin - supposedly its the nearest to UK mineral content et al, so that may the be one for DS to drink if you have concerns about the tap water.

belgo Sat 06-Aug-11 08:05:34

yes health visitors often recommend Evian water for formula milk, even though boiled tap water is perfectly good enough, it's because bottled water companies have got a stranglehold on much of Europe. The baby formula milk market is a huge industry.

I never buy it.

sailorsgal Sat 06-Aug-11 09:00:55

I want to do this next summer. Have fun.

Can you do a blog or something. Would love to know how you are getting on and where you go.

BelfastBloke Sat 06-Aug-11 09:14:10

Do you have air-con in the van? That might be a big factor...

NorthernMarshmallow Sun 07-Aug-11 08:21:56

Thanks everyone for your replies. Our plan is to head down through France to the alps and then into northern Italy, before heading to Austria and Germany on the way back. We haven't got a fixed route and are just going to see what happens, you never know we may spend 6 weeks in Normandy!
We haven't got air con and did wonder about it being too hot but are hoping that September might be a bit cooler.
Am really getting excited now!
Will let you know how we get on grin

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Sun 07-Aug-11 11:33:50

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now