Talk

Advanced search

Camping virgin with 15mo in tow. I need help!

(2 Posts)
LeoTheLateBloomer Thu 04-Aug-11 10:38:58

Ok so not quite camping virgin but it's been a good 15 years.

How do I do it with a 15 month old? I'm going with my sister's family but they've got 2 DCs as well so I can't be a completely helpless numpty.

What should she sleep in (would normal grobag be enough?), what do I do about storing her milk/food, washing bottles etc? What do I do if she has a terrible night with teething? I can't imagine other campers would be thrilled hearing a baby crying all night.

Please tell me it will all be ok!

SingOut Thu 04-Aug-11 11:06:15

It will all be okay smile

In order... (I'm going to assume you are camping now-ish, weather-wise). Normal grobag should be okay especially if she is used to that, a 2.5 tog one paired either with a babygro/jamas and a warm comfy jumper (to keep her arms warm), OR a fleecy all in one instead of the babygro and then the grobag over that. Then just have a blanket to pull over her if she gets cold of a night.
Storing milk and food can be a bit of a pain. If you google making a simple fridge you can do this, using a wet cloth, cold water and a few plastic boxes to create a makeshift cool area in the shade, the water constantly evaporating from the cloth draws heat away and keeps things cool <hazy memory> Err, anyway that might help. Can you buy ready made milk in little cartons if shes still on formula, or take UHT milk is she's on normal milk?

A tiny 1 burner camping stove is cheap and can heat water for washing bottles etc, though it's helpful to have a playpen/bumbo/travel cot/highchair to put baby in while you do this or it ends like a bit of a farce. Take a washing up bowl and it can double as a baby bath, table, and storage box. Or aforementioned fridge!

If she keeps other campers awake, just apologize and they will probably be fine, people forgive little ones a lot because they are so cute grin Consider pitching a little distance back from other tents, so they won't keep her awake if she goes down earlier than everyone else as much as anything.

Good luck, it will be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now