Talk

Advanced search

The Lurcher ate my SIM and How on earth do you get a tent back in the bag?

(15 Posts)
mymumdom Thu 04-Aug-11 09:27:20

We camped in the garden over the weekend in our cheap Vango Juno 500 and I left it up for a few days so the kids could play in it.
Someone left the zip open and The Lurcher grabbed one of the SIM and ate a hole in it. It has a rip the size of a paperback in it. There is no way to mend this is there?
Also I took the tent down last night before it rained but couldn't fit it back in its bag!!! It's a pentagon shape and I can't work out the best way to roll it up.
Can anyone help?

slartybartfast Thu 04-Aug-11 09:32:15

a dry cleaners might mend your tent.
though we had no luck at all when our tent zip was broken.

is there an instruction on how to fold it? <not helpful>

btw what is a SIM

DontCallMeBaby Thu 04-Aug-11 10:00:14

Slarty SIM = self inflating mattress, not a part of the tent. I can't imagine it would be repairable. sad

Pentagon tent - I would lay it out, and standing at one straight base of the pentagon, fold the sides in until I had an oblong shape (with one little pointy bit at the 'top'. Then I'd fold again, into halves or thirds as required to fit it into the bag. I'd then roll from the pointy end, as I think that would be bulkier and need firmer rolling ... and hope for the best!

mymumdom Thu 04-Aug-11 13:34:46

Thanks DCMB. That worked! It's not the same shape as it was when I bought it, but I managed to do the zip up.

Blu Thu 04-Aug-11 15:22:23

I have mended a rip in a SIM with gaffer tape.

Blu Thu 04-Aug-11 15:24:18

And tent folding <<sucks air in through teeth>>

I get my maths teacher friend to do mine blush

A tip someone taight me is to fold the tent in a concertina fashion because then air doesn't get trapped inside and bulk it out, as it can if you roll it up.

DontCallMeBaby Thu 04-Aug-11 15:27:23

Hurray! No chance it'd be the same shape - I don't know how they do it, maybe form the bags around the folded tent in the factory? That's the only possible explanation for how my tent fitted in its bag (we got it back in, but have had to put the pegs in the pole bag, and the doormat would only go back in the main bag once the tent had had a chance to subside a bit).

mymumdom Thu 04-Aug-11 16:31:27

Blu, 2 very good tips there. Will buy some tape and have a go at the SIM but I'm not taking the tent out of the bag just to have a go concertina style.

ihearthuckabees Thu 04-Aug-11 16:38:47

You can buy repair kits for thermarests - saw them today in Graham Tiso. It included a largish fabric 'patch'.

As for folding tents, we tried out the awning for our camper, and can't get anywhere close to fitting in ANY bag. It is currently stuffed in a large cardboard box, and I've put my head in the sand about tackling it.

MirandaGoshawk Thu 04-Aug-11 16:41:20

Tent folding - you have to show it who's boss and roll very hard, to exclude all the air.

Ineedalife Thu 04-Aug-11 17:33:29

I would recomend tent stuffing not rolling, it is much easier with large bulky tents.

It also has the advantage of the folds not going in the same place every time and weakening the waterproofing.

Sorry I know it goes against the grain for all the well trained Guides/Scouts, but go ahead and try it, I am converted.

No advice on the SIM sadly but good lucksmile.

schilke Sun 07-Aug-11 15:20:59

Can I hijack slightly?
mymumdom I am thinking of buying a Vango Juno for the garden. Is it ok? I don't want to wake up in a wet - full of condensation - tent as it is only single skin isn't it? We have a huge luxurious tent, but don't want to put that up as it takes a while (and takes up most of the grass!)

mymumdom Sun 07-Aug-11 15:28:00

It was a bit wet on the sides, yes, but only when you touched them, it wasn't dripping or anything. I would keep a towel in the tent and give it a quick wipe down before all the kids got out of bed. It's a great garden tent, so easy to put up and down!

schilke Sun 07-Aug-11 15:32:11

Thanks for that. I'll go for it.

I'll remember to keep my dog away from the SIM too!

lovecat Sun 07-Aug-11 16:28:25

mymumdom - we have a vango Juno 300 that we use as a storage/play place for DD and her bf when we all go away together, they're fab.

I actually posted to say I clicked on your name by mistake and - wow! Beautiful dog! (even if he is in disgrace for eating the SIM...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now