Talk

Advanced search

Is it me or

(18 Posts)
MoaningMcMyrtlepants Wed 03-Aug-11 14:35:09

has the price of camping gone up a lot?

Last summer we were looking at £23-27 for the trailer tent, five of us, EHU, possible swimming pool, play area, showers, toilets, wash up, laundry.

I've been trying to book some where and have been quoted £33-37 per night. Finally managed to book at a small site that we have been to before, nothing special but adequate for £25 a night. Some campsites really do seem to be trying to cash in though.

upahill Wed 03-Aug-11 14:38:34

Yep, Prices are definatly higher this year.

Lilyloo Wed 03-Aug-11 14:39:20

Agree one of our favourite sites has gone up by almost half again !!

Ineedalife Wed 03-Aug-11 14:41:13

I think it depends where you go at this time of year. Devon and Corrnwall definatly hike their prices during the school hols, but I have found sites in wales still charging around £20 a night for a family of 4.

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Wed 03-Aug-11 14:45:47

Yeah! It's Cornwall. But we need to go there because that is where my nan lives and she is Ill so we want to spend time with her while we can.

Though I think a £10 hike is a bit much, especially as we will be there for 21 nights.

OneHundredPercentFucked Fri 05-Aug-11 11:53:49

I've found one for £17 a night which I don't think is too bad!

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Fri 05-Aug-11 14:01:56

Wow! where was that?

SixtyFootDoll Fri 05-Aug-11 14:10:38

France is more 35-40 euros a night.
Camping def not so cheap anymore?

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Fri 05-Aug-11 14:25:32

That's around £30ish as well then.

OneHundredPercentFucked Fri 05-Aug-11 18:13:03

Beachcomber in Northumberland. There will be (hopefully) two adults, two children, two dogs, tent, car, and showers etc.

BluddyMoFo Fri 05-Aug-11 18:13:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Fri 05-Aug-11 18:22:03

OneHundredPercentFucked let us know what it was like when you get back and whether it is worth going to, pretty please smile

MoaningMcMyrtlepants Sat 03-Sep-11 20:52:54

onehundredpercentfucked How was the site in Northumberland? What were the facilities like?

We ended up at Roseville. Nice site, not luxurious but clean and well maintained. It was £25 a night it was very resonable. Roseville

needanewname Tue 06-Sep-11 22:09:20

Totally agree.

Used to love going to Wowo, they have started charging £5 per car per day!!!

How the hell are you supposed to get everything to the site, especially if you';re a family. Money grabbing is how they come across now.

Ineedalife Tue 06-Sep-11 22:28:15

A site I was going to in wales wanted to charge me £18 per night for a pup tent!!

We went about 5 miles up the road to a much nicer site and paid £20 for 1 adult and 4 kids in 2 tents!!

I don't get the pricing at all it varies soo much.

MrsMc82 Wed 07-Sep-11 13:34:52

Just booked somewhere in the lakes for £4pppn, dog and gazebo free and child free till 8yo - assume will be v basic but not after anything fancy just frresh air and scenery so fingers crossed its not gross!

bacon Wed 07-Sep-11 16:20:27

I'm sorry I really dont get your point of the cashing in, money grabbing etc???? Business is tough and overheads are massive. Fuel, electricity, waste etc.

Actually living on a farm (not owning a camping site) our overheads are wild, fertiliser - increased 120% in 5 years, fuel, gas, elec, maintenacne, waste disposal, staffing, rates etc. And many camp site owners are in rural areas that have to carry these costs.

Business' like this only takes an income from April - October hence their income over those months have to carry the business over from Oct - March too.

I really get fed up with reading that people who own business' are cashing in while everyone else is on their knees. Prices incl inflation effects everyone and these costs have to be passed on. Business' that dont increase their prices havent done their accounting very well.

We stayed at a very basic site (more field) £15pn for a caravan last year. They had little overheads. I totally understand that I'd have to pay near enough £30 for a luxury site.

needanewname Wed 07-Sep-11 20:40:25

Well Wowo is pretty basic, can't see why they feel the need to charge £5 per day per car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now