Talk

Advanced search

Help me decide between an outwell Nevada M or Montana

(20 Posts)
Freezingmyarseoff Tue 02-Aug-11 20:42:11

That's it really.
We've finally decided that we really ought to get on with buying our first "family" tent. We've just been to a camping shop today to look at display tents and we really liked the outwells and narrowed it down to the Nevada M or the Montana.
Basically we want a 5/6 tent (we're a family of 3 but will be 4 as of next year smile). Currently we've only got weekend trips planned but I hope we'll do some longer trips next year and beyond.
The Nevada is obviously best on price, and doesn't seem too big (but maybe we'll outgrow it too quickly?) We're thinking that we might get the extension for longer camping trips. From what I can gather it's quite easy to put up (with some practice) and is more practical for shorter trips.

But we really like the Montana too, it seems a better quality tent all round. My concerns are it's quite a bit more expensive (although we can afford it), it is heavy, and takes up lots of space in the car. I don't know how difficult it is to put up compared to the Nevada. And if it's just too big for shorter trips. I suppose the question is, is it worth the extra money?

Any thoughts from all you camping experts?

LondonSuperTrooper Wed 03-Aug-11 08:47:39

I'm in the same situation but I am definitely thinking of getting the Montana 6. I will be watching this thread with interest.

loopy9 Wed 03-Aug-11 08:52:58

We looked at the Montana too..however we went for a Vango Amazon in the end and we're really pleased with it...it's got 3 bedrooms, or you could have one larger bedroom and one smaller bedroom...we're a family of 4, so it means my lo's get a room each and therefore it's future proofed too! we've bought a footprint and carpet and I would so recommend a carpet it is lovely underfoot! and there is plenty of room in the middle and the porch allows you to have all your cooking stuff out there plus somewhere to put towels to dry/boots/shoes etc etc

Good luck!

CestTout Wed 03-Aug-11 08:57:54

I have just used a friends Outwell Indiana for a week on guide camp. It is very similar to the Montana and I really cannot speak highly enough of it. Yes the tent is quite big when packed up but it was very warm, very easy once you knew that the poles on either side are not the same (doh!) and had so much space.

If you can afford it I would go for the Montana if you are intending to camp for more than a long weekend. I would happily go away for 7-10 days in the Indiana without any problem! The other great thing is you have lots of "social space" inside should it be raining.

Very jealous - I now have an outwell tent pot at home to save up!

Kingsroadie Wed 03-Aug-11 09:22:30

Okay I haven't actually got either but have recently spent far too many hours researching family tents (we have gone for an Emperor Bell tent in the end but I was very close to getting an Outwell of some description). I was also looking at the Nevada and the Montana and I was seriously considering the Montana. I liked the fact it has steel poles rather than fibreglass for added sturdiness (and weight but for us and car camping it wasn't an issue). I think that's right - one of the main differences being the poles.

They are both lovely and good luck with your decision!

ShowOfHands Wed 03-Aug-11 09:24:32

Montana. Oh how I want a Montana 6.

CestTout Wed 03-Aug-11 09:39:41

Oh yes the poles - really, really good steel poles. We had a couple of windy nights and my tent was by far the sturdiest!

Kingsroadie Wed 03-Aug-11 09:56:14

Montana! grin

PirateDinosaur Wed 03-Aug-11 10:03:34

Montana is easy to put up and altogether fab. It does take up quite a lot of room in the car, though -- depends what sort of car you have, really. Arrival of DC3 has dictated getting a bigger car anyway for us so it's no longer an issue but when we had previous (limited boot space) car having the Montana in the boot did necessitate piling much of the other stuff around the DCs' feet in the middle of the car.

Freezingmyarseoff Wed 03-Aug-11 13:49:37

Oooo thanks everyone, looks like the Montana is winning so far. I definately like the idea of steel poles and all round sturdiness. We do have a big car but somehow ALWAYS manage to fill it up regardless of whether we are just going out for a day trip or away for 2 weeks confused

DH has just found some other outwell tents on ebay (bear lake 6 and wolf lake) so now there are more decisions!! I think though that we'll probably go for the Montana over the Nevada, unless we can find a better deal on a bear lake or similar on ebay. Will let you know.

But of course in true MN fashion, I'll now get lots of Nevada votes and I'll dither some more. Either way it is a nice problem to have grin

bilblio Wed 03-Aug-11 23:04:17

We've got the Nevada L, the M didn't look big enough. We're 3, soon to be 4 too. My Dad wanted us to get the Montana but it would have taken up almost all our boot space. I also didn't like the layout inside. The Nevada L has 3 bedrooms, 2 at one end, 1 at the other. At the moment DD sleeps in the room next to us, (it's warmer for her and I can shush her if she wakes at night) and all the random kit goes in the other bit... or if we really want the space we take that section down. But as the kids get older our idea is we'll go at one end and the kids can go in the double end away from us.

We were comparing tents this weekend with a family who had a Montana and they took a real liking to our tent. They were saying the Montana was very big and heavy to put up, especially for a weekend and if they were buying another they'd get one like our instead. We put our up in about 30 minutes this weekend, and about 15 minutes to take down... which is slower than normal because I'm 6 months pregnant and suffering with SPD.

kitbit Thu 04-Aug-11 07:50:34

We have the Nevada M and went camping last weekend with friends who have the Montana. Ours has the extension, we love it because it's light and airy and you can open 3 sides together or separately depending on wind direction, or to air it out. We have the 2 bedrooms opened out together and ds sleeps between us. Plenty of room inside and the space is really versatile. We have the brown one and it's got lots of light so if you're stuck in in the rain it's not gloomy.
It's easy to put up and withstood gale force winds in Norfolk last year.

Friends' Montana also nice and roomy but squarer and heavier, and not so aerodynamic. We thought in winds it might get more of a battering but that's just a guess.
Theyhave the green one, and it's quite dark inside but the space is good and was ok for them with 2 dc.
It was heavy and big in the bags though, with thebig external poles.

I'm preferring the Nevadabut I suppose the best way is to go to the shop and stand in both of them!

Bit of advice, get the carpet as it's comfy and keeps it loads warmer at night.

MegBusset Thu 04-Aug-11 12:35:45

I'm going to go against the grain and recomnend the Nevada M (sorry!). It's a great family tent, really easy to put up, plenty big enough for a family of four imo. We almost went for the Nevada XL and I'm glad we didn't, I think if we had a great big tent to transport/erect we'd use it less often. Plus we are used to tiny dome tents pre-DC so this trend for huge whopping family tents with loads of bedrooms, ensuites, fairy lights etc seems a bit soft grin But I'm sure you'll be happy with either option smile

Freezingmyarseoff Tue 09-Aug-11 14:48:06

Well we still haven't decided, but I'd thought have a little looksie at bell tents/soul pads just because there's been lots of talk about them. Showed them to DH and he's very keen grin

More decisions!! Seen quite a good deal on 4M soulpad on ebay, but I was wondering what the general opinion is about 4M vs 5M in terms of having enough space for many years of use.

3rdnparty Tue 09-Aug-11 14:58:13

Montanas are lovely but v heavy to put up I probably wouldn't use it for a weekend tent as found it not the easiest to put up...although the shape not aerodynamic the steel poles means can handle v strong winds...(gales in n.wales ) that large fibreglass tents did not...

the Nevadas are great tents think would recommend the L if you are after seperate bed rooms for dcss in the future but I could put up Nevada M on my own, thought it was great tent as can get extension for front so would be more usable for weekends and weeks...

We had a faulty M but on taking t back went for a Bear Lake instead but they are different league as polycotton.....

DH wont consider a belltent but think you'd be looking for a 5m for four smile

GingerWrath Tue 09-Aug-11 15:02:30

We bought our Monty on Friday and are going to a site 30 min away for the weekend just to try it out. It's fab and the porch we had for our old tent fits it for my kitchen area, can't wait!

Freezingmyarseoff Tue 09-Aug-11 16:12:21

3rdnparty just wondering about your bear lake - are they not even heavier to put up compared to the Montana? We kept looking at the polycottons - hence we're now looking at the canvas of the bell tent. I think that if we don't get the bell tent that actually your reasoning of the Nevada L makes a lot of sense. Either way we have to get a move on, meant to be off camping in 10 days time!

troutpout Tue 09-Aug-11 20:03:41

Both are reliable tents. I have a Monty and a friend has a Nev and likes it a lot. I think the Monty is a bit big and cumbersome for weekends... So we don't tend to use ours unless we are going for longer... We use a smaller steel poled tent instead. There are 4 of us btw.
Dh can put the Monty up quickly by himself however so I don't think it's too heavy. ( and dh isn't that buff) The Monty is really really good in winds so agree about the steel poles. I find ventilation is poor on it however and also, it gets boiling inside really quickly.... Don't know what the Nev is like? Is it single skinned like the Monty?
I have been no help whatsoever have I ?

3rdnparty Tue 09-Aug-11 20:33:07

The bear lake is lovely and not as heavy to put up as the groundsheet zips off so you do the tunnel then zip on the groundsheet...Also the poles are Alloy not steel so they are lighter but strong went through the tail end of a hurricane without moving last year all our friends came and slept in it as feels so safe....it does take a while to put up though as well so we dont generally use it at weekends ...

polycotton is amazing just feels so much nicer than nylon inside, ds sat playing lego inside for 2hours in boiling sunshine as was still comfortable inside... Friends have the Wolf Lake and I really lilke the canopy but its darker inside and even bigger to packgrin so not for us

we also have smaller lighter tent for weekends that I can put up myself and I would love a bell tent for a weekend tent but dh just moans about space efficiency and being 6'2 etc etc never mind bunting....grin

Freezingmyarseoff Thu 11-Aug-11 12:13:45

Ok so we got sucked in by the bell tent posse. I have just ordered a 4M soulpad with ZIG - it should be here on Monday. I'm very excited. grin

We did wonder about the 5M but they were out of stock and we figured that whatever tent we get it's going to be so much bigger than my 3 man dome tent bought for glastonbury 15 odd years ago. Plus given that we were outbid on Ebay, we reckon it'll keep it's value if we do decide to upgrade in a few years. Anyway I don't suppose anyone is interested but I just had to tell someone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now