Talk

Advanced search

how do i find room to pitch a 5m bell tent at a festival?

(7 Posts)
victoriasmith Mon 01-Aug-11 12:49:24

I am used to going to festivals with my tiny 2man tent and squeezing into any little space thats left. However, we have just bought a 5m bell tent from the lovely people at soulpad now we have a little one and i am a bit worried about finding room for it at festival campsites.

does anyone else have experience of pitching large tents at festivals and do you always find space?

LoopyLoopsTootyFroots Mon 01-Aug-11 14:05:47

We're taking our 5m Soulpad to the Big Chill. DH is going early on Thursday morning. Having said that, our nylon family tent is a similar size and we've never had a problem yet.

lovecat Mon 01-Aug-11 14:47:32

We took our 5m bell to Latitude 2 weeks ago and we arrived early to make sure we'd get a space. There were some largeish spaces left after the second day, but they tended to be the ones next to the rowdy little Ruperts whose parents had buggered off to the far end of Family Camping to let their little 14 yr old darlings run riot with the voddy...<grr>

I think it depends on the festival (only ever camped at Glasto and Latitude as V is a 20 min drive from us), but bear in mind that you'll probably end up with other tents pitched across your guys anyway.

Do take a windbreak to guard your exit/entrance to the tent, otherwise you will find someone will have pitched across your doorway in the night...

going Mon 01-Aug-11 14:51:16

At the last fesitval we went to we had to walk around for a while to find space big enough our five man tent. They opened the campsites up bit by bit so I'm sure that the stewards will find you a space but try to get there asap so you don't end up next to the toliets where there will be spaces!!!

ReshapeWhileDamp Mon 01-Aug-11 15:58:13

...Or go to a really obscure little festival that won't be crowded out? grin We're off to a minor folk fest in a few weeks and I'm really hoping that the family camping area will be chilled and not too crowded...

buggerlugs82 Mon 01-Aug-11 18:30:43

We took our massive one to Leeds festival last year. My advice = arrive early, as soon as gates open. You should have no problems.

victoriasmith Tue 02-Aug-11 19:38:42

so it seems to be arrive early then? hmmmm...will try and get boyfriend to get the full day off work so we can get there early then. The festival is quite small, Forest of Galtres festival north of York, but then this might mean the campsite is smaller also. Unfortunately the family camping was full when we were buying tickets so we are in the main campsite just hoping this wont be a problem.

Lovecat that sounds lots of fun with the 14yr olds and the vodka!!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now