Talk

Advanced search

why our children allowed to play out on campsite?

(9 Posts)
ivykaty44 Sat 30-Jul-11 11:48:28

but when we come home, children are kept indoors.

my dd has loved playing out from the age of 6-7 years old but only a few dc are ever allowed out on the two very large greens near to our home.

yet if we go camping all the children seem to be allowed to wander of and play on the campsite and in the play area.

Do you let your dc play out on a campsite and then not let them play outside at home and can I please ask why?

answers on a postcard only wink

nickschick Sat 30-Jul-11 11:51:39

Ivykaty - where we live it is quite rough,the older children werent nice kids and so we tended to keep our dc indoors or take them out to play areas and parks etc so on holiday it was a chance to play with children some nice some not so in a different environment - im pleased to add that as my dc and others have gotten older the play areas near where we live have gotten nicer and so there is more children playing there.

thisisyesterday Sat 30-Jul-11 11:52:38

mine don't play out at home because I think they are too young and there is no-one else out to play with generally and although our road isn't that busy cars come along it quite fast

on a campsite it's different because:
1) I have dp with me, and we don't have a whole load of other stuff to do so can sit out and keep an eye on them
2) it's usually a bit more enclosed and not right next to a road, people drive fairly slowly and we can make sure they are safe
3) there are usually lots of other kids around, and their parents also watching to make sure kids are safe

if we had a big green near our house and other kids played on it too then i wouldn't have a problem with my 6 yr old playing out tehre

Sandalwood Sat 30-Jul-11 11:52:56

Traffic?
I know you've got your greens though. Maybe you need to ask the other residents near your green.

EdithWeston Sat 30-Jul-11 11:53:28

It depends where you are, and where the campsite is. The risks (real or perceived) will vary. When we were in a city, I wouldn't have dreamed of letting my children out alone (not least traffic) until 10+. But on holiday or at Granny's then I was happy with much younger (7ish).

colditz Sat 30-Jul-11 11:53:29

People expectchildren on a campsite, and usually have their own,so drive MUCH more carefully

eaglewings Sat 30-Jul-11 11:55:52

Good point OP, we do let our DS out now she is 9at home but less than she will be when she is camping this week.
For me the main difference is the speed cars drive on the camp site in comparison to the roads in our village. I have taught her stranger danger so am fairly chilled there, but cars going 40 miles an hour when she is on her bike scares me.
At the camp site it is 5 miles an hour and only on certain days. Bliss

feckwit Sat 30-Jul-11 11:58:21

Ours play out on campsites and at home smile

JemimaMuddledUp Sat 30-Jul-11 11:59:02

I worry less about my DC at home than on campsites TBH.

They play outside every day at home, we live in a small rural village and everyone does. They come home when they are hungry grin

On campsites there are children that I don't know. The campsite that we usually go to in North Wales is OK, but we stayed on one in the Forest of Dean at half term and some of the children there were quite rough and were trying to start fights with my boys (who were 6 and 8 at the time).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now