Talk

Advanced search

Inflatable kayak - anyone got one?

(5 Posts)
Nikkid21 Thu 28-Jul-11 22:30:29

Not strictly camping I know, but being outdoors type people I wondered if anyone has one. Have seen a 2 man one with pump and paddles for £99 in decathlon but don't know if the quality will be rubbish and if it will be punctured and binned after a couple of uses.

I don't need anything fancy as it will just be for pootling on the local canal and playing on the lake that our French campsite is next to.

Any advice gratefully received

stickwithit Fri 29-Jul-11 15:40:08

Yes we have one, the brand is Sevyalor Canyon (or something similar). We really really love it and use it on trips to Devon on an Estuary and even in the sea.

I think some models are better than others, some reviews of our model complain that it lets water in through the bottom- we haven't had a problem though.

Ours is supposed to be a two-man kayak but we squeeze DP (v tall), DS 4yo and me (averageish) in. Its also really stable and being open topped it wouldn't be a big problem if we capsized.

We have a big pump thingy with a plunger and it blows the kayak up in less than 5 min.

Hope that helps!!

Nikkid21 Fri 29-Jul-11 17:18:52

That's great thanks.

The decathlon one looks identical to the sevylor Tahiti. I just thought that it might be more fun and longer lasting than a dinghy.

milkybarsrus Sat 30-Jul-11 21:30:45

We have the decathlon one which cost 99 pound(sorry pound sign not working). We have 2 big teenagers and one 5 year old that all get in the 3 man kayak with no problems. have used it several times and had no problems with it. Seems to be quite good quality. I think we will get a few years use out of it? hope so it cost enough!

magso Tue 02-Aug-11 11:53:30

We have an inflatable kayak. It is fine to doodle about on calm water but a bit of a worry ( and harder to control than a noninflatable) in rapids! It takes a bit of energy to inflate perhaps 10 minutes with the foot pump. If you need to deflate and fold up at your pick up point, we find an old towel useful to dry off the canoe. Ours (an expedition model forgotten the brand) has survived easy rapids and several of those French water slides at weirs as well as a head on attack by a proud daddy swan! great fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now