Talk

Advanced search

Dogs/Puppies when camping - mad or fun?

(19 Posts)
Kingsroadie Wed 27-Jul-11 21:07:14

Annnndddd, another thread by me - sorry!

We have a 4 month old puppy. Would we be mad to take him camping in a few weeks for 4 days with a 20 month old (also my husband may or may not make it due to work and even if he does he'll only be there for a day or two. I will be going with a friend as well)? I think if good weather then it would be fine, if not another thing to think about but am rather worried that with the awful weather we have been having it will rain. And what on earth do you do all day when it rains with a dog and a toddler (ie limited to dog friendly pubs for any food, and no indoor activities)? Mind you, at home if pissing it down with rain we tend to stay in and colour/play ahem watch tv etc and take the dog for a walk when it clears up. If I took my laptop and we had EHU we could put DVDs on for the toddler I suppose!

Puppy is crated at night and for periods in the day if we go out but I know I won't be allowed to leave him when camping. He is very chewy though...

So what are you experiences of camping with a puppy (and a toddler) - is it going to make it far from relaxing?

nojustificationneeded Thu 28-Jul-11 12:16:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kingsroadie Thu 28-Jul-11 13:58:10

Thank you! Yup tent...

Yes am starting to wonder whether it's going to be more hassle than it's worth! And of course if it rains you have to stay in the tent or go to dog friendly pubs etc.

Heavymetalmater Thu 28-Jul-11 16:45:36

We are in the same boat. Thought i would test the water a bit so put up a cheap pop up tent in the garden for kids and pup to play in. Within ten mins pup had put a hole in the mess window of the tent. Very worried now about actually camping as DH would have anheart attack if the proper tent got damaged.

Heavymetalmater Thu 28-Jul-11 16:46:27

Sorry should read mesh. On the subject of mess she also weed twice in the tent.

Kingsroadie Thu 28-Jul-11 17:20:04

Hmmm that does not bode well Heavy. How old is puppy? Ours is reliably housetrained (but of course could all go out the window in a new tent-based environment!). I would have a hernia if he chewed a hole in tent/mesh window, especially as we are about to buy either a 5m bell tent or the emperor bell tent - he would be thrown off a cliff I think grin. Argh just don't know what to do!

RCToday Thu 28-Jul-11 17:31:18

I am in a tent right now with 2 kids, 2 dogs and a cat and its lovely smile

It rained all day yesterday, so we took the dogs out on 2 long walks on the beach and that tired them out, so they slept the rest off the time or sat on our knees when we played cards

My dogs are a bit older now but they have both been camping from 5 months and they havent chewed anything yet

I dont have a car so if we go anywhere the dogs come with us and we put the cat in the dogs crate and he enjoys the peace and quiet grin

I think the animals make it much more fun and you cant beat a dog in the bottom of the sleeping bag on a chilly night

nojustificationneeded Thu 28-Jul-11 17:36:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MirandaGoshawk Thu 28-Jul-11 17:36:53

Camping with the dog in the tent made me give up camping. (Well, that and the cold, the hard ground etc) Firstly there was the fact that she got wet and so smelt of wet dog. Second was that she found this change of scene v. exciting and refused to stay still & go to sleep. Worst of all was her bad breath on my face in the morning.

But I still love her!

RCToday Thu 28-Jul-11 17:39:47

Nojustificationneeded - I had to hire a van but we are only 45 mins from home smile

Kingsroadie Thu 28-Jul-11 18:01:45

RCT - wow - I too am impressed! Were your pups chewers though? Mine is massively chewy and eats anything - i mean anything. Paper, material, shoes, cigarette butts, grass, plastic, stones, poo. anything... Which is what worries me - a brand new canvas tent may well be seen as a tasty treat for him...

Heavymetalmater Thu 28-Jul-11 18:35:03

My pup is only 10 weeks at the moment so a bit younger. I guess she will probably settle down and ona campsite she will have to be on a lead so hopefully wouldnot chew through tent. Problem was she was outside tent and kids were inside. She wanted to take the fastest route through to themwhich was through the mesh.

Still not sure i am brave enough to do it yet though.

RCToday Thu 28-Jul-11 18:41:36

Kingsroadie - yes my 9 month old puppy will chew anything at home, she has gone through so many phone and laptop chargers, ive lost count now grin

but I find in a tent they cant really hide away that much so its easy to keep an eye on them

I buy them lots of chewy treats and toys which keeps them happy but really they are so tired from long walks or playing with the kids, they sleep a lot

claricebeansmum Thu 28-Jul-11 18:42:02

Last weekend we were in a two man tent with the dog. We slept in the pod bit and she slept in the porch bit but was zipped in. The worst thing was when we woke up in to morning she was so excited her tail kept hitting the tent and all the condensation fell off and it was raining in the tent.

We tied her on a very long line attached to back of car so she could roam our patch but not get into everyone's tent. Not sure about with a chewy puppy - too much kit around to have a go at...

RCToday Thu 28-Jul-11 18:46:57

Forgot to say, mine are always on a long lead with a spike in the ground so they can come in and out of the tent as they want to during the day

Kingsroadie Sat 30-Jul-11 09:52:36

Still not sure what to do! Part of me wants to try it when we go in two weeks (husband can't come though - just me and a friend with baby and puppy) in preparation for the family trip in september. And part of me thinks it will just be a nightmare and not relaxing. However, if we are out a lot of the day and the puppy is v tired when he gets back then I suppose he will just sleep... I have ordered a stake. And he has a crate. And if I leave him I'll have to put him into boarding for 4 days, which is an added cost...

Anyone else have experience with puppies and camping?

sazm Mon 01-Aug-11 17:10:07

we are also having this debate,
we bought a lovely tent last yr,went camping a couple of times and loved it,my sister had our dog while we were away so didnt have to worry about him,
this year we have got another dog and we sold the tent,thinking camping wouldnt be practical, now im having a bit of a wobble because i LOVED my tent. we did think of buying a caravan,which would probably be more practical (but more expensive)
does anyone camp with a couple of dogs? what do you do if you want to go to the pool/entertainment on the site?or do you stick to smaller sites?

Kingsroadie Mon 01-Aug-11 17:18:34

Sazm - we are going twice and I am taking him the first time (if it goes horribly wrong we will leave him the second time) to try it out. I have bought two stakes so he will be on the lead and attached! I can imagine it will be hard work but hopefully the weather will be good and we can spend most days outside/at beach etc so he will be exhausted when he is in the tent and not destroy everything...

We are going to small sites both times with no pool etc. I am worried about it raining as we then won't be able to do any indoor activities but fingers crossed it won't!

sazm Mon 01-Aug-11 18:55:58

let us know how u get on x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now