Talk

Advanced search

campers - do you pack your clothes in suitcases or bags/boxes..

(15 Posts)
becks5109 Tue 26-Jul-11 11:55:28

am starting to prepare for our trip to France in 2 weeks - massively praying the forecasts are wrong as the weather isn't looking very good! I packed in suitcases last year but am hoping for some better packing suggestions! Many thanks.

CaptainNancy Tue 26-Jul-11 12:00:47

We use a series of ever-increasing-in-size rucksacks smile

CaptainNancy Tue 26-Jul-11 12:02:38

And we have a box for cooking stuff/food items that aren't in the cooler.

And I put the sleeping bags/mats in those big supermarket bags wherever possiblt to make it easier to pack/unpack car.

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jul-11 12:09:23

hiya Nancy

we use these lakeland bags. We have 4 of them. 2 for the bedding (inc pillows) and 2 for clothes.

They are just the right height and width when fully ramed well packed to go in the passenger footwells. The dds seem to quite like having their feet on them.

When we set up the tent the bedding obviously comes out of the other two and then the clothes divided 1 bag for each person, with a bit more rummage room.

CaptainNancy Tue 26-Jul-11 12:38:44

Hullo Slubber!

Those bags look like a good idea for bedding actually <<takes out pencil and notebook>>

We do weekend camps mainly, and I am so sick of restuffing sleeping bags... looks like a good solution.

Am currently weighing up whether to get a pop-up (base seconds looks good)... there goes the cheap summer we were having wink

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jul-11 12:54:47

oh yes they are great when you can't be arsed to do the triceps toning bag stuff. Just put them in the bottom and squish the pillows on top.

yy cheap summer + camping kit purchasing not a workable combo ime

Likeaninjanow Tue 26-Jul-11 12:55:02

We use a mix of rucksacks/holdalls and jute bags. Because they're soft, they easily can be stuffed into our roof box or any wee nooks & crannys in the boot.

Ephiny Tue 26-Jul-11 14:10:21

Rucksacks for clothes etc, and a big holdall for tent/sleeping bags/mats. Big reusable shopping bag for food.

mathsgeek Tue 26-Jul-11 15:29:28

We use these bags from ikea

both for travelling and in the tent. Squashable and showerproof, takes up little floor space as they are 'tall' and as everyone has 1 each, easy enough to keep the tent tidy by throwing stuff in and then zipping up!

JetLi Tue 26-Jul-11 19:44:46

I got some blanket bags from Dunelm - just soft zip-up bags - & we use those for clothes & stuff. Not particularly damp proof but squashable to stuff (as slubber says) in the footwells of the car. I had a look & can't see them on the Dunelm website to link tho.

YellowDinosaur Tue 26-Jul-11 19:57:10

We use plastic boxes - Like slubber we end up with one each and they fit under our camp beds.

Having read this thread though I'm liking the softer squashable ones and think they might be worth a look as I am sure would mean we'd get more stuff in as they are more pliable than the plastic ones.... Sure I would be able to persuade dh as well wehn we can't get all the stuff in the car when we practice pack on Thurs!!!

becks5109 Wed 27-Jul-11 10:51:09

am liking the look of the ikea bags - might hve a little trip there this weekend. Now just need the weather in France to improve in the next 10 days or so!

bumpybecky Wed 27-Jul-11 11:03:45

we used to use plastic underbed storage boxes but have taken cases the last couple of years. 4dc have a small suitcase each and keep their clothes separate, DH and me share a bigger case.

Pixel Wed 27-Jul-11 18:18:04

We've got a nylon holdall each. They are easy to stuff into footwells, the boot or on the back seat between dcs (and soft so wouldn't be dangerous in an accident which I'm a bit paranoid about). With the exception of wellies and raincoats then if it fits in your holdall you can take it, which is very necessary with a teenage daughter.wink

SozyDod Wed 27-Jul-11 23:50:17

For the first few trips we took a huge suitcase for all our clothes, now we have one of these Ikea bags each:

www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80176444

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now