Talk

Advanced search

Campsite in Anglesey

(13 Posts)
bilblio Mon 25-Jul-11 23:27:43

We love Anglesey, we've camped there numerous times, but we never seem to be able to find the perfect campsite, I don't think I'm that picky.... but we aren't flush. So far we've stayed at places that are beyond out budget, or fields with cold, dark, spider infested sheds/toilets... at one we only found the showers on the last day because I thought they were storage cupboards.

So hopefully you wonderful people can help.

I'd like:
-A shower block which is (vaguely) warm, and big enough for me and DD to comfortably get washed and dried.
-A toilet block which is (vaguely) warm, not a converted shed/barn/portacabin which is open to the elements.
-Not a holiday park.
-Costs approximately £15 a night in the summer.
-Relatively quiet, but not so quiet that other people will be annoyed with DD being a typical 4yo.

Walking distance from a beach would be a bonus, but not essential.
I've seen a couple on UKcampsite which are near Church Bay (our favourite beach), but there's no websites so I don't know how much they cost or what the facilities are like... yet, I'll phone them tomorrow.

bilblio Tue 26-Jul-11 13:56:06

Bump.
Am I the only one who goes to Anglesey?

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Tue 26-Jul-11 17:00:05

Have you tried Bagnol? It is in Treaddur Bay and we love it, although we stay in a friends caravan. I have never been in the toilet block but DD has and said it was OK. You can walk to a couple of small beaches. Google it as I have never learned how to do links.

I love Anglesey.

bilblio Tue 26-Jul-11 19:12:05

I've just looked it up on google, but it looks like a holiday park. Far too organised for our tastes. They have streetlights! shock I like to camp in a field. grin
Thankyou though!

Lucycat Tue 26-Jul-11 23:04:56

Well we like White Lodge but it is a bit basic around the edges - have you tried Home Farm? here .

or there is Tyddyn Isagf near Moelfre this one here

tbh your ideal campsite is difficult to find. The trouble is if you want decent toilet blocks / showers then you get a more developed site / more expensive site.
btw we love Anglesey too grin
For £15 a night you might have to opt for a C&CC site.

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Wed 27-Jul-11 08:53:12

Whoa - I think it is only lit round the toilets etc. The campsite is just a field - honest. There are lots of static caravans but the tents are on a different part - and there is nothing else - no shops, entertainment etc.

bilblio Wed 27-Jul-11 12:57:21

I'll have a look at White lodge, the website is down though.
We've been to Tyddyn Isaf before DD was born. We liked it but it's just too expensive. £24.50 a night, and White Lodge is £26 for us. We tend to go for 3 nights, and ideally I don't want to spend more than £100 over the whole weekend, so that's a huge part of our budget gone. sad

Maybe I am picky, but I just don't want a bar, clubhouse, shop, kids play area. We don't use them, so I don't want to pay for them.... okay DD would use the play area, but that would mean we'd have to spend the whole time pushing her on swings etc. (Selfish Mummy but it's my birthday this weekend and I'm very pregnant. I want to sit and relax, DD is happy enough running around picking daisies.)

Oh to be wealthy enough to own a campsite. I was reading on the UKcampsite forums last night and loads of people were saying how difficult it is to find exactly what I'm looking for, so there's obviously a need for basic campsites but with home comforts of hot water and half decent buildings.

After lots of hunting last night we're thinking of going to Pen y Bont. Anyone been there?

Lucycat Wed 27-Jul-11 17:53:27

Ni I haven't - have you thought about the C&CC sites there are loads here the certified sites are basic and some will have the amenities that you are looking for.

bilblio Thu 28-Jul-11 09:19:53

I have looked at the C&CC sites, loads of the ones I've found that look great have been C&CC one but it's not worth us joining this year. I was going to but we've not had chance to go camping yet this year, and we'll probably only 2 or 3 trips over summer, one of which will be with none camping friends, so we'd have to be on a non-C&CC site.

bilblio Sun 31-Jul-11 20:08:50

Well after lots of comparing websites and reviews we decided on Pen-y-Bont only to find out it was booked up when we phoned, so another quick look at websites recommended and I go the White Lodge website working so ended up there.

Thankyou Lucycat it was fantastic. Just what we like, quiet, family run, doesn't cost the earth and a fantastic cafe, which you don't pay extra for it being there.
I think we've found our campsite on Anglesey... infact we're booking again tomorrow when we've sorted out our friends and we're going back in a fortnight.

Lucycat Mon 01-Aug-11 15:25:35

Phew grin it's always a worry when you recommend a site that you like in case noone else does! Lovely views too across the straits to Snowdonia. So glad you had a good time, the cafe is run by the kids of the owners and is great isn't it? smile

Lucycat Mon 01-Aug-11 15:28:15

I can also recommend lunch at Hootons- the place back towards Llanfairpg. Child friendly,good service & prices as well as the chance to buy their home produced meat and veg. Their website is useful.

bilblio Mon 01-Aug-11 16:47:25

We ate at the cafe both nights (it was my birthday camping weekend so we splashed out.) We ate early the first night so had a good chat with the 2 lads and their Mum. The chef was very accommodating of my awkward veggie & pregnant diet... (he didn't know you can't have "nice" cheeses when you're pregnant) the 2nd night there was an extra veggie option on the board, and none of them included soft cheeses smile

The only thing I'd say would improve the campsite was if the pitches were a bit further apart... even just a couple of foot more so they're wide enough to stick the car down the side of the tent to block some of the noise from the neighbours, (there were some excitable 12/13 year old lads in the tent next to us the first night) and give the kids more room to play.
But I also realise if they did that, there'd not be as many pitches and it would be more expensive.

We always stop at Hootons for the shop, I had a delicious veggie lasagne from there for tea last night. DH likes to spend his holidays finding farm shops, I spend it finding craft shops. smile We've not been in the cafe though. We'll have to try it next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now