Talk

Advanced search

So how do I do this camping thing?

(2 Posts)
babybouncer Mon 25-Jul-11 23:08:23

I've decided to jump in an try camping with DS (2), DH and two other couples with same age child this summer. One couple have camped a bit (pre-child), the other hasn't (ever). I have been camping before, pre-child, but only a couple of times and although I enjoyed it, I didn't really see any advantage over hotels/gites etc at the time. Having seen how much DS loved going with grandparents recently, I'd like to try again, but am terrified.
I'm not usually able to function without a mug of tea in the morning, and while rain isn't an issue for me, I don't really see what we do with our evenings once DCs are in our tents sleeping (staying up is not really a possibility - he just cries with tiredness!), especially in bad weather.
I'm also worrying about what to feed DS (usually it's pasta and one of a range of batch-cooked sauces from the freezer) and how to keep milk etc fresh.
Really, I think I'm most worried that it will be awful and none of us will ever want to camp ever again!
Please tell me how fab camping with a toddler is and tips to make this run more smoothly.

TastyMuffins Tue 26-Jul-11 01:28:31

Tea - use camping stove with kettle instead of electric kettle.
Evenings - wine, cards, conversation
Food - cook on the camping stove, barbecue or eat out, milk in a cool box or use long life cartons, it can be frozen before you go to stay fresh longer.

Will you be sharing a large tent or each have your own? If you have the space to pack a tent with a separate living area, you have somewhere to sit in of the evening if it rains, although if ground sheet not sewn in, can be a bit cool, so bedroom maybe better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now