Talk

Advanced search

While we're talking about coolboxes...

(18 Posts)
fatsatsuma Mon 25-Jul-11 22:31:57

Can I ask how/where you store veg/salad?

My coolbox isn't big enough anyway, and we always end up with a bag of veg etc lurking somewhere warm. But even if I did buy a huge iceytek, would that be the best place for salady things? Would they not end up squashed.

<desperately hopes iceytek is PERFECT place for veg/salad grin>

luciadilammermoor Mon 25-Jul-11 22:41:50

I can see the thinly disguised message. Buy an iceytek, buuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyy onneee. They are biiiiiiigg, colourful (caveat:salad may not care about colour) and people who run company are lovely and helpful.

They would not end up squashed because you would carefully and lovingly place them in a non-squashy place... in your new iceytek...

Mine is red btw.

HTH LdL

fatsatsuma Mon 25-Jul-11 22:47:22

I like the sound of this grin

Ok, here's another question. If I get, say, the 40L one, as we are a large family camping for 2 weeks at a time and shopping as little as possible, would there room for the veggies? And if there was room, would that mean it wasn't full enough, and therefore not running efficiently?

<may be over-thinking this>

YellowDinosaur Mon 25-Jul-11 22:51:14

pmsl at lucia's 'caveat:salad may not care about colour' gringringrin

luciadilammermoor Mon 25-Jul-11 23:05:15

I may or may not have had several glasses of wine tonight. grin

There are 5 of us, I went for the 56 L long one on the grounds that I could always use it as a general storage place for dry goods as well and that, if I didn't have lots of stuff in it, that would be an incentive to fill it with ice or fill it up with wine (or both). Either way I would be happy.

We quite often go to France and I like my food sealed away from pesky ants/caterpillars/snake on one occasion so big one it was.

SOunds as if 40L would be perfectly adequate though for shorter breaks. I MIGHT get one (next year) for weekends etc.

Would I get red to match or another colour? Hmmmmm.

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Mon 25-Jul-11 23:09:45

Message withdrawn

fatsatsuma Tue 26-Jul-11 11:41:35

And how are we feeling this morning, Lucia? gringrin

Had a closer look at the icey tek options last night, and am seriously wondering how I could ever justify spending THAT MUCH on a coolbox, however beautiful it is...

Re size, it looks from the photos on their website of each box with the food it can hold as though the 40L can hold loads. Is the 55L not way too big?

fatsatsuma Tue 26-Jul-11 11:43:34

Does it work storing general store cupboard stuff in it as well?

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jul-11 12:03:10

fatsatsuma. yy you could store anything you wanted in it. Although in order to boost the coldness it's preferable to put shop bought cold or frozen things in there, rather than room temp stuff. That and if you store jam or bread in the cool box then that's extra openings of the lid to get them out, letting warm air in.

I had to really think about all the things I needed to get out of it before I started making meals so I only opened it once.

re storing, I kept all the frozen things (that I wanted kept frozen) and things in plastic boxes/bottles towards the bottom as when the ice cubes melt...well they obviously turn into water!! Soggy egg boxes not v good at holding together. I used a combo of frozen water bottles, ice and a couple of slim but wide cool blocks that I put at the top over all the food.

Slubberdegullion Tue 26-Jul-11 12:04:11

rofl @ lucia's drunken tekster sales pitch

DHwonTheDadsRace Tue 26-Jul-11 12:38:51

Hello!
We took our 40 litre orange icey-tek for its first outing this weekend, to a festival. There's 5 of us. DH hasn't moaned about it being too big since then. Did a great job over 2 days, and yes, I stored apples, veg, salad, jam in it too, as preferred them not to get bashed. My reasoning for this size was exactly what OP said - when we camp for 4 days or so, I have hated having to go out just to buy food.
Very pleased with it, and it acted as a table (didn't want to bother with one when we'd to carry everything a distance).

fatsatsuma Tue 26-Jul-11 14:00:27

Slubber, what size is yours? I get what you mean about keeping the temp low by only opening it when really necessary etc - that's helpful. When you say you use ice, what do you mean - ice cubes? Presumably they work fine with the conventional ice blocks?

DHwontheDadsRace - do you reckon yours will be big enough to go for several days without shopping?

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Tue 26-Jul-11 14:06:35

Message withdrawn

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Tue 26-Jul-11 14:09:02

Message withdrawn

luciadilammermoor Tue 26-Jul-11 14:21:02

Hello! All well, possibly slightly easier to type/spell today.

I remain enthusiastic about iceyteks in all shapes & sizes. Have been playing with mine & buying large storage boxes this am to put dry goods in to stop the rotten cardboard/wet scenario.

I measured the footwell in my car as well, that was an important piece of info - my thinner 56L long box slides beautifully into the space underneath the DCs feet.

Salads, veg, wine, mustard, jam, yogs, amusing little nibbles, it will all go in.

Happy days.

fatsatsuma Tue 26-Jul-11 14:30:34

Hi Lucia. Glad you are ok wink

I think I'm veering towards the 40L IF I can get my head and DH around the price. It's obv cheaper than the larger ones, and having 3 DCS with legs longer than mine, the back seat footwell is no longer any use for storage, too full of smelly feetgrin

Now need to consider colours...

DHwonTheDadsRace Wed 27-Jul-11 10:56:30

The 40 l is a big box, and yes, holds plenty including wine for 5 of us. I had it almost full for the weekend, including 8 tins of cider and all the food that didn't need to be chilled. I don't think you'd want any bigger or you'd be compromising space in the car to fit children, dog and tent....

fatsatsuma Wed 27-Jul-11 12:16:01

Yes, I think you're right.

Major spanner in my plan to become an icey tek owner - my Hoover has died - so that £100 is now needed elsewhere sad

<eyes drawer full of outgrown washable nappies which might be worth a penny or two...>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now