Talk

Advanced search

Duinrell in Holland

(13 Posts)
5ofus Sun 24-Jul-11 21:38:54

Anyone been?

We booked for 4 nights in August. Please come and tell me top tips. I'm wondering if it's most like Butlins or Centre Parcs?

Amaretti Sun 24-Jul-11 21:43:33

Is that Wassenar? The one with the theme park next to a campsite?

5ofus Sun 24-Jul-11 23:38:40

Yes! That's the one.

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jul-11 08:18:25

Yes, we went maybe 5 years ago.

In hindsight my dc were really too young (baby and toddler) to fully appreciate all the attractions but the place really was amazing. Can't comment on Butlins but there are aspects of it that are centerparcsish, certainly the swimming pool complex. I do remember that there was strict adherance to an armband rule if your dc are young and not displaying a swimming distance badge they HAVE to wear them (remember being pissed off at having to pay some ridiculous amount for finding nemo armbands).

If they still do the pantomime you must go, just for the surreal aspect of seeing large plushy animals dancing and singing in Dutch.

Remember big tent with merry go round in (went on it 3000 times) and in one corner there is a GIANT mound of Lego. That was fun.

What else... Lovely clean facilities, good supermarket, nice frites.

Amaretti Mon 25-Jul-11 18:37:25

We really enjoyed it, stayed there with Eurocamp. Yes to the armbands thing, the lifeguards keep checking the DC's height if they are borderline. The theme park was great, really short queues even in August.

hocuspontas Mon 25-Jul-11 18:45:44

Mine loved it. Apart from the fairground rides there was a huge park with all the swings etc that have been banned in the UK like the cheesecutter and witch's hat, that was great! You can walk into town and there is a sandy beach a couple of minutes drive away. The only downside to us was the lack of safety on the rides eg operators starting them before children sat down etc. That was a few years ago, I like to think they have improved. Oh and pancake stalls dotted around the park - heaven!

suburbophobe Mon 25-Jul-11 19:44:59

Never been (my son has) but Wassenaar is one of the richest areas of Holland, so must be a beautiful area. I think it's around the dunes. All villas, etc. there. The Crown prince Willem-Alexander and his Argentinian wife Maxima and their kids live there...

If the weather is good and the kids are old enough it's lovely to rent bikes and cycle around. Even if they are babes, you can still cycle with them. (I did, in a sturdy sling). Also bike seats for toddlers etc. On the front for babes, on the back for toddlers ;-)
It's probably near the beach. Dutch beaches are great.... (very busy when it's hot, tho).

There'll be all the info there (at Duinrell) anyway.

Enjoy!

tallulah Mon 25-Jul-11 19:57:36

We went a couple of years ago. Second what everyone else said re armbands, which was really frustrating because we were doing waterbabies and they don't use armbands- didn't really want to confuse matters.

Queues were low everywhere and plenty for tinies to do.

Not like Butlins or CP tho.

Sprogstersmum Mon 25-Jul-11 20:57:47

We're also going in Aug for a week - never been before. Does anyone know what's the height limit for armbands? Was unaware of that rule...

Nikkid21 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:24:38

Think that it's aged 8 or 120cm height for armbands.

Don't forget to take a passport photo for each of you for the access passes. Otherwise the on site photo booth costs a bomb.

The c1000 supermarket and butchers/ bakers in wassenaar are much better than the on site supermarket.

There are some useful tips in the reviews on ukcampsite.

5ofus Mon 25-Jul-11 23:25:43

Thanks all - very useful info! Keep it coming, and we'll feed back when we get back.

One last question - I've read about French swimming pools and their requirement for Speedos - does that apply here also does anyone know. Suspect it'll be something of a deal breaker for DP!

Will measure DD (6) tomorrow. She will not be impressed at having to wear armbands.

Nikkid21 Tue 26-Jul-11 07:34:10

Regular swim shorts are fine - that's also a dealbreaker for my dh.

Abgirl Tue 26-Jul-11 19:24:26

Went in may half term, lots to do but found the eurocamp tents to be completely on top of one another and near the v noisy main plaza. Our best day was hiring bikes and cycling to the local beach, completely fab. We also went to Leinster on the bus for the market which I would definitely recommend, preferred it by a mile to the Hague. It's more centreparcs than butlins I think, though some of the entertainment veers towards butlins (bingo night!). Swimming pool is open till 10 but busy all the time and take some euros for go-kart hire if any of you DCs are over 7. Have a good time...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now