Talk

Advanced search

Last minute suggestions for campsite hour and half approx from wiltshire in any direction!

(20 Posts)
poppyboo Sat 23-Jul-11 13:15:11

...we like quiet, spacious sites, don't mind how basic (composting loos OK, and warm shower would be a bonus but we would go with cold showers if we had too...) Love 'eco' campsite but we are going camping really, really, soon and I have left this extremely last minute.....so any answers ASAP would be great!

<just going to dig out bell tent and box of camping gear and go to waitrose for camping food this afternoon!>

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 23-Jul-11 13:23:05

we went to Toomer Farm at Easter. It's on an equestrian farm so you can watch the horses jumping, training and doing the cross country. It's very basic and very friendly and relaxed. There are 2 ladies showers and one mens, the ladies ones were lovely and warm.
It's not a very big campsite but has electric hookup if you want it. The owners are very friendly and very relaxed. It's on the A30, five minutes from Sherborne, Dorset so think that probably fits your hour and a half criteria!

poppyboo Sat 23-Jul-11 13:30:10

fruitshootsandleaves Can you remember how much it is per night? we're 2 adults, 2 children, 1 bell tent.

Coca Sat 23-Jul-11 13:32:03

Brokerswood is nice, but it is in Wiltshire rather than an hour and a half away

steffanny Sat 23-Jul-11 13:33:18

www.longthornsfarm.co.uk

it is fab fab fab

poppyboo Sat 23-Jul-11 13:34:03

Thanks Coca, i will google it to have a look smile

poppyboo Sat 23-Jul-11 13:35:26

Coca i just had a look but that looks a bit too modern for us, but thank you for replying! xxx

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 23-Jul-11 13:37:01

no I don't remember sorry. It wasn't that cheap iirc but then we were in a caravan with electric hook up. i don't imagine it would be nearly as much for a tent.

poppyboo Sat 23-Jul-11 13:37:11

steffany that looks interesting, is it great then? what did you like about it? xxx

steffanny Sat 23-Jul-11 13:40:07

we liked everything.

Lots and lots of space and a whole wood for the children to play in. Animals to stroke. Very relaxed lovely owners and open fires ok. They even bring logs to your tent if you need to. Little honesty shop with bacon, milk too.

We love it there.

The only downside is the loos can smell. The composting ones are fine though if you dont look down !!

Narketta Sat 23-Jul-11 13:41:44

I camped at Blackland Lakes years ago and it was lovely. Its in Wiltshire though rather than an hour and a half away. Have a look here smile

steffanny Sat 23-Jul-11 13:43:36

oh and it is directly next door to Monkey World and you can hear the monkeys howling sometimes, very surreal....

poppyboo Sat 23-Jul-11 13:49:05

Thanks everyone, I will show DH all the suggestions tonight!
Would love to hear any other recommendations grin thank you everyone!

ChristinedePizan Sat 23-Jul-11 14:05:07

Britchcombe Farm is lovely - there are animals, lovely walks to good pubs and cream teas at the weekend. Fires are allowed and the family camping field is really friendly.

Malkuth Sat 23-Jul-11 14:25:19

Try here

Malkuth Sat 23-Jul-11 14:27:41

Sorry, pressed enter too soon! Meant to say try here if you are at the Warminster end of Wilts. Bit far if you are Swindon way though.

poppyboo Sat 23-Jul-11 14:30:42

Malkuth unfortunately i think that is august only, which is a shame, it looks lovely!

IloveJudgeJudy Sat 23-Jul-11 22:28:11

How far is Arundel from Wiltshire? You could try Ecclesden Farm. We went there a couple of weeks ago for the weekend. Even though it's a farm there is nothing on the farm for people to see, but the site is lovely with fields for DC/you to walk in and room in the camping field we were on to play in. Basic showers/loos, but hot water and pretty laid back while we were there.

£12.00 per night without EHU and £15.00 with. That's for 2 adults and up to, I think, three DC.

SalomeD Sun 24-Jul-11 16:09:53

Hi Poppyboo,

Have you already decided on a site?
We've been away in North Devon for a long weekend so I'm just catching up with posts while the bell tent canvas dries off in the garden (bit of a heavy sea mist this morning).

We really love Thistledown Farm near Nympsfield in Gloucestershire.

There's the lovely town of Nailsworth at the bottom of the hill, Woodchester Mansion is worth exploring and the Rose & Crown does super food.

It's a very eco-friendly site with fantastic woods for the children to play in.

&#9702;Up to a family tent – £5
&#9702;Adults – £5
&#9702;Children – £2 (Under fours are free.)

Bellethebelltent Sun 24-Jul-11 19:41:15

I live in that village, Rose and crown....£6.95 for a basic kids meal sausage and chips etc, with no pudding! but thistledown is lovely and there's better and cheaper meals to be had in nailsworth. Sat am farmers market in stroud is great too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now