Talk

Advanced search

Another Carbon Monoxide death :(

(12 Posts)
SeaShellsMyDogSmells Fri 22-Jul-11 21:13:39

... Being reported in the New Forest. Please be careful!!

In The Mail sad

ivykaty44 Fri 22-Jul-11 22:24:33

This couple took a gas bbq into their tent to try to keep warm - this is so sad sad

trickycat Fri 22-Jul-11 22:28:10

How sad.

MollieO Sat 23-Jul-11 10:12:11

I was really shocked when I read that. They had used the bbq to warm up the tent and then left it outside the tent. The build up of carbon monoxide from that initial warm up was enough to kill him. We have one of these which I've used in the past to take the chill off for 5 or 10 minutes. I reckon next time I'll be taking a carbon monoxide meter with us just in case.

kitbit Sun 24-Jul-11 20:54:35

That's so sad sad
We have a gas heater that takes the single gas cans same as the camp cookers, are these dangerous too?

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jul-11 08:45:42

Kitbit, this is from the wiki page about CO

These products include malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters and gas and kerosene room heaters; engine-powered equipment such as portable generators; fireplaces; and charcoal that is burned in homes and other enclosed areas.

Basically anything that burns carbon stuff (technical term wink ) can produce CO.

CO in a big plastic sealed (sig) tent = not a good environment for people to be in.

I agree with Mollie, if you are going to burn anything inside your tent, even if they are designed for the purpose then I would be getting a CO meter/alarm too.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 25-Jul-11 08:48:25

Very sad.

I think I'm normally fairly sensible but have in the past used my little one ring cooker for ten, 20 mins to warm the tent up. shock Guess I'm lucky I don't have a SIG in my tent.

kitbit Mon 25-Jul-11 17:19:10

Well we took heed and took a knife and fire bucket with us last week, will now be getting a CO alarm as well. Am also paranoid about getting eaten by grizzly bears but don't think you can get an alarm for that!!!

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jul-11 18:06:42

[mucho confusion] are you a regular camper to bear parts kitbit?

If not then I spotted Boots selling CO alarms for £12 in the travelling section today.

kitbit Mon 25-Jul-11 19:49:49

Ooh yes it's very wild in the north east, bears are driven mad by the merest sight of bunting grin

(no, just an irrational paranoia much like the certainty that I feel that will cause every earwig in Cheshire to dive into my coffee as soon as I put it down)

(they will, I know they're just waiting for me to put it down blush)

kitbit Mon 25-Jul-11 19:51:15

(thanks for the alarm info! Will get to Boots tomorrowsmile )

Slubberdegullion Mon 25-Jul-11 20:23:21

yy evil sneaky earwigs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now