Talk

Advanced search

Selling a VW campervan

(9 Posts)
bessie26 Thu 21-Jul-11 22:46:04

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but i wondered if you campers might be able to help me?

My grandfather is probably going to stop driving when he turns 90 next month & will be selling his beloved VW Campervan.

He's been told by various people he could get more than £10k for it, but how can I find out what a fair price would be? I've googled & looked on autotrader but can't find anything similar to compare - should I be looking in VW mags?

Once I've found out how much he could get, where is the best place to advertise these things? In autotrader or something more VW specific?

Just incase you know about these things, it's a 1982 2litre transporter Danbury, 78000 miles

littlepea72 Fri 22-Jul-11 10:26:24

I would find a website for VW, there are big groups of lovers out there who get together and meet up, they would be able to give you more advise, you would worry about getting ripped off if you didnt.

bessie26 Sat 23-Jul-11 17:15:35

Thanks little the VW sites I've looked at so far require you to be a member, but I guess it might be worth the membership fee to get a good idea of how much it's worth. I'm hoping this is will be a good wedge of cash he can tuck away incase they need some extra help in the future with care or housing.

springlamb Sat 23-Jul-11 23:21:17

Might be worth looking at the classifieds in magazines such as Volksworld or Camper&Bus, available at larger newsagents.
Also worth looking on ebay and following a couple of auctions for similar vehicles (although I wouldn't sell on ebay).
TBH, although you will always find a buyer for a VW camper, the top-notch prices are for older, air-cooled Bays and the really top prices are for Splits.
The nearest comparison I can find at hand right now is in the Summer 2011 Camper&Bus and that's a 1986 1.9l petrol, on at £4,500. However, the Danbury conversion may be slightly more covetable. A good time to sell is Spring.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 23-Jul-11 23:29:19

Club 80-90 is the forum for t25 campers which is what he has. It's free to join and has a classified section. You can also advertise for free on volksworld. I seriously doubt he will get 10k for it. Even westafalias which are the expensive t25 rarely go for that much.
What engine is it, what is bodywork like, what is interior like, how many berth, any extras, what service history. They all affect price, especially bodywork.

I have a 1985 diesel 1.9, high top with a brand new engine 20,000 miles ago. Loads of other new bits with receipts such as brakes, battery, exhaust, cables, etc. Really good interior. Good service history, excellent bodywork, extras such as expensive bike rack, aerial,. With all that mine is prob worth 5.5k

Also this is the wrong time of year to sell. If you wait till April, or may time it can make a big difference to price. It needs a fairly long mot cert as well.

eBay I think is the best place to sell. Do a classified rather than am auction, costs £15

VivaLeBeaver Sat 23-Jul-11 23:30:16

If I can help any more feel free to ask.

bessie26 Sun 24-Jul-11 12:33:18

Thanks for the tips!

I emailed a few clubs yesterday asking of they would be able to give me a rough idea of price if I became a member. Also found a VW site where you can ask people how much they think it's worth.
A dealer offered him £9k cash for it at a rally last year. I am amazed that it could be worth that much!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 24-Jul-11 15:10:20

You could always go to vanfest in sept and sell it there. Huge vw show, thousands of people and a lot go to buy a van. There is a special for sale area.

MJHASLEFTTHEBUILDING Mon 25-Jul-11 23:33:37

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now