Talk

Advanced search

Considering camping alone with 16mo DS!

(5 Posts)
BigTallGiraffe Thu 21-Jul-11 21:39:09

I am desperate to go camping this year, and to take my 16mo DS with me, but i'm not sure whether or not this is a good idea! Is it going to be really stressful and awful? I also don't drive yet, which could complicate it more!
Do i wait until next year when i will hopefully be on the road, or do i bite the bullet and go this summer? Has anyone been in a similar situation and got any tips!?

crispyseaweed Fri 22-Jul-11 21:08:59

You could try it this year. Maybe go somewhere near home and easily accessible on public transport etc...
Depends how concerned you might be about little one waking up and wandering out of the tent.... and you not waking up. Personally I would wake up and would probably zip the tent up so dam tight to ensure little one cant get out without you...
. . . thats my only concern bout camping with a tiny one.

thisisyesterday Fri 22-Jul-11 21:10:52

no it'll be great!!!! have him in the same compartment as you and zip it up to the top so he can't undo it while you're asleep

or, if you want one of those pop-up camping/travel cots they have some excellent deals at the mountain buggy outlet here

i'd be more concerned about how you'l travel lol

Peachy Fri 22-Jul-11 21:38:46

It's fine, ds4 started at 5 weeks, toddlers are easy to camp with (as long as you have the energy!).

YY to same compartment and there are loads of easy bed options about nowadays, vango nitestar sleeping bags, colemen do little nest style inflatable cot/beds, readybeds.... plenty to choose from.

I would say a SIG is good for preventing escapes.

lovecat Sat 23-Jul-11 08:39:26

A tip I read elsewhere but then never had to use as I've only just persuaded DH that camping is fun (and DD is now 6) <<looks anxiously at weather forecast for Cornwall>> is to take a travel cot along (providing you have room, of course!), then you can set it up and use it as a playpen/holding area while you put the tent up. Otherwise you'll be forever distracted/hindered by him running off/trying to help/dropping the mallet on your head...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now