Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for the Lake District?

(18 Posts)
Likeaninjanow Thu 21-Jul-11 20:35:34

Heading off in just over a weeks time and, as usual, we've left it to the last minute! If anyone can recommend a nice, quiet site I'd be eternally grateful.

We're really not into on-site entertainment and all that stuff. Our aim is to knacker the wee ones during the day, get them into bed and open the wine grin.

Kladdkaka Thu 21-Jul-11 20:50:53

I don't know specific sites but any one around Borrowdale would do me. That's the most beautiful part in my opinion.

Likeaninjanow Thu 21-Jul-11 20:56:41

Thanks for replying kladdkaka. I tried The Quiet Site, which looks amazing, but it's full. I'll take a look around Borrowdale.

WottingerAndWottingerAreDead Thu 21-Jul-11 21:52:02

National Trust campsite at Langdale. Went years ago and without kids, but was definately one of the nicest sites I've been to.

Imagine if an NT site it can't get too rowdy??

ENormaSnob Fri 22-Jul-11 09:34:15

We are hoping to have a weekend in the lakes in sept so can you report back? smile

there is one that you don't book onto, think it might be fisher something confused

I had a thread a few pages in asking about north west campsites and it was recommended there.

Blu Fri 22-Jul-11 10:54:09

Side Farm in Patterdale goes right down to the shore of Ullswater and is in a v beautiful location. Gillside Farm in Glenridding is right on the beck, and also in a great location. Details of both here

I have walked through the langdale site and it looks lovely.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 22-Jul-11 10:57:43

Seatoller farm in borrow dale is basic but fab location.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 22-Jul-11 10:59:34

I stayed in the nt site in langdale 15 years ago and it was very rowdy. A group of teens turned up after pub closing, pitched their tent by car headlight and got the guitars out. Afaik there is no staff on site overnight. However they were evicted the next day and it was quiet after that.

Spandy Fri 22-Jul-11 11:01:05

Yeah my family's been going to Side Farm in Patterdale since I was a baby and it's my favourite place in the world (shh - don't tell anyone else smile

Curiousmama Fri 22-Jul-11 11:01:41

The CCC one by Derwentwater is nice. They go round checking up on people so doubt it'd get rowdy. Great for boating too, we got a dingy for the boys and they loved it smile Close to the centre too.

BeerTricksPotter Fri 22-Jul-11 11:07:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2gorgeousboys Fri 22-Jul-11 13:29:23

Castlerigg Farm just outside Keswick or Church Stile at Nether Wasdale.

We used to go to Langdale 5 or 6 times a year but have not been since 2009 as it stopped being clean and became very noisy.

Pleb1969 Fri 22-Jul-11 13:35:17

we stayed in Wasdale Head for our honeymoon in a converted barn next to a rural pub - was lovely!

BeerTricksPotter Fri 22-Jul-11 15:54:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fruitshootsandheaves Fri 22-Jul-11 16:06:19

we went to Park Coppice in 2008. it rained the whole fortnight we were there but the site was lovely and drained well! I notice it has been refurbished since then but was quite good when we went so don't know what needed refurbishing.
Its right near lake Coniston and you can walk to Coniston itself in about 20 mins iirc.
Quite a big site but was quiet

SheepAreSuper Fri 22-Jul-11 16:20:08

Rydal Hall is a lovely site. Numbers are fairly strictly limited so it's never too busy and is never noisy.
Walking distance to Ambleside and Grasmere.
Beck to paddle in and small play area.
It's just lovely.

Fennel Fri 22-Jul-11 16:27:16

NT campsites at Langdale and Wasdale are great. Wasdale NT site has little streams all around for children to paddle and dam in, and trees to climb.

We also often stayed (before we movcd too far to go for weekends) at Side Farm at Ullswater, also Coniston hall campsite, both of those are right by the water if you do watersports (or have toddlers who like to pootle on a beach). Coniston hall gets very noisy though.

Likeaninjanow Tue 26-Jul-11 12:53:01

Wow! Thanks for all the replies, and I'm sorry I didn't check back sooner. I did try many of the sites mentioned by you all, but lots were fully booked sad.

We evenutally got booked at Hollins Farm, so I'll report back next week. Anyone been there before?

Can't wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now