Talk

Advanced search

Devon campers - any good sites?

(14 Posts)
AlmaMartyr Thu 21-Jul-11 19:53:06

We're based in Devon and we've just decided to go away for the weekend for DH's birthday. Unsurprisingly, a couple of our normal places are booked but I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations in Devon (or Cornwall)? We're not too fussed about where we go although we do have 2 toddlers so need somewhere reasonably family friendly.

Pleb1969 Fri 22-Jul-11 17:49:43

Woodlands Leisure Park in Blackawton near Totnes is brilliant. Camping includes entry to the park, the amenities are all well kept and clean. We have taken our 3 DS there about 6 times now and 2 yrs ago went as a group of 19 (8 adults and 11 children). They have an onsite shop for essentials and the beach we always go to nearby is gorgeous (Bigbury on Sea - Burgh Island)

Can thoroughly recommend it! link here

babyocho Fri 22-Jul-11 20:35:24

Litton Cotton in Dartmouth. Went last year when DD was 2.5yo and I went again this year with some friends.

Quiet site and both times there were young children. Facilities are spotless, site well kept. I think there is a nappy change and baby bath room if you need it.

No pool/playground, but I think a really lovely site.

AlmaMartyr Mon 25-Jul-11 19:19:03

Thanks for those, we'll definitely check them out another time smile We went to the Old Rectory, Tavistock in the end which was lovely. Very quiet and peaceful site, lovely clean facilities, very friendly guy who met us and showed us our pitch. DD loved the chickens wandering around and the pigs.

eaglewings Mon 25-Jul-11 19:22:50

Next time you could check out Zeal Monochorum, the Waye Inn. Amazing pub with camping field, skittles alleys, large indoor soft play and pool. In a beautiful village in mid Devon.

AlmaMartyr Mon 25-Jul-11 19:45:45

Ah, the Waie Inn is fab smile We live fairly close so take the DCs to soft play there quite a lot. Hadn't thought about camping there though, that could be pretty good for a weekend.

eaglewings Mon 25-Jul-11 19:47:06

That is how you spell it! Was born there so love the place, just wish we were closer

nevergoogle Mon 25-Jul-11 19:49:56

River Dart Country Park. We just got back from there, fabulous facilities. Even a family bathroom for bathing toddlers.

karen10001 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:43:56

If you want a real back to nature experience next time hole station camp site near okehampton is lovely. You are right in the middle of the woods (you do have to carry your stuff to your pitch) and can have a campfire, my four year old wasn't quiet enough for the deer to come too close but we did see plenty. They only have a few emergency bits at the reception (an old train station which my son loved) but enough to get some breakfast and lovely fresh eggs from their chickens! Dry toilet and wet toilet added to the away from it feeling and for those that dont want to take everything with them they have some permanent tee-pees set up with kitchen area and everything you need which we may try next time we visit! If you can live without the home comforts its definately worth a visit.

AlmaMartyr Tue 26-Jul-11 11:15:13

Thanks all! I'm trying to build up a "directory" of local campsites that we can pop to for a weekend so it's all very useful.

Karen - I looked that place up online and it looks lovely! We live in Okehampton so we're pretty local to it, but far enough that it would be an adventure smile

Eaglewings - must have been a great place to grow up! I was born in East Devon but we've moved out this way now, it's beautiful.

bilblio Tue 26-Jul-11 13:52:37

Oooh if you're building up a directory then add South Penquite Farm on Bodmin moor to it. We had a fantastic week there. Nothing to do on the site except enjoy the quiet, chase the ducks, hens, geese, chickens, turkeys... or stop DD chasing them. There's a small play room which we escaped to in the early morning, I curled up on the sofa with my blanket, DD played, and DH slept a bit longer then got breakfast on. They also have a small play area, but DD was too busy with the ducks hens etc to even notice it. Facilities are lovely and clean and showers easily big enough for washing and drying toddlers.
I wish we had it on our doorstep.

AlmaMartyr Tue 26-Jul-11 18:59:52

South Penquite is on there! It looks wonderful, great to have a personal recommendation. I might try and get there quite soon actually smile

bilblio Tue 26-Jul-11 19:29:44

I'm Very envious. I'm desperately looking for an equivalent up north or north Wales. I'm very pregnant at the minute so it'll be 2 or 3 years before we can get back there... but we will be back!
Camping with a baby I don't mind... so long as we're only a couple of hours away.

Oh for a teleporter that would save me the 8 hour drive.

AlmaMartyr Tue 26-Jul-11 21:11:45

Well, that's a great recommendation! Good luck with the baby smile We went camping with 8 week old DS last year and it was fab. Have done 12 hour drives with baby DD, not fun!

Hope you find a similar site a bit nearer, bet there must be loads of lovely places in North Wales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now