Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone camp without a cool box/fridge?

(9 Posts)
SherlockHolmes Tue 19-Jul-11 20:28:57

I really don't like my coolbox; it always seems slushy and full of wet, yucky food. So, am thinking of camping without one, and doing the following;

Fill chilled flask with milk, fill another with juice and another with wine grin. That should last the first and possibly second day. From then, we would buy fresh milk and refill the flask to make it last a day, and drink red wine instead of white. Bread, fruit and veg can be bought locally as and when we need it.

The only thing I can think of that we can't do without is some kind of butter or spread. Is there anything else I haven't thought of? Not taking the cool box will mean a bit more space in the car for wine... but am I being daft? Any thoughts most appreciated folks.

BikeRunSki Tue 19-Jul-11 20:34:46

We camp without a cool box or anything (from hardened mountaineering background), do without marge. There is a small cubby hole in the footwell f DH's car that will keep the end of a pint of milk cool for a while - the air con goes through it.

MollieO Tue 19-Jul-11 21:14:19

I have a sports car so no way of taking a proper coolbox. I take a small fold up one that will hold milk (one fresh one frozen) for a couple of days. I just buy what we need to eat every day, which isn't too much of a hardship. We tend to eat out for one meal a day anyway.

Fennel Tue 19-Jul-11 22:18:55

We don't take one, we used to have a fridge in our campervan, but we don't miss it now we have a tent. and we have plenty to fill our car up with already - lots of watersports equipment, kayaks, windsurfers, 5 bikes. no room for cool box.

We just buy milk where we are. or drink wine grin.

lovecat Wed 20-Jul-11 12:31:28

Slubber will mock me, but you need this for your butter. We don't need to put ours in the coolbox when we go away, it stays pretty much as hard as when you put it in there (so unless you like rock-solid butter, let it soften a tad before putting it inside!).

Slubberdegullion Wed 20-Jul-11 13:19:26

[mocks]

And yet.....

[slightly wants one]

Pootles2010 Wed 20-Jul-11 13:21:19

Don't suppose there's a little stream/brook at campsite is there OP?

SheepAreSuper Wed 20-Jul-11 21:34:54

We rarely take a cool box now.
Beer and wine goes in a stream or lake.
For tea and coffee we use dairystix (only ever managed to get them from Tesco). Single UHT portions that don't need refrigerating.
Porridge is made with water and skimmed milk powder.
We don't really use butter although sachets of mayo liberated from a pub are good if you like a bit of moisture on your bread.

Pootles2010 Wed 20-Jul-11 22:01:02

We have a milk crate we stick in stream, put milk/wine/whatever in it. Really useful, but obv depends on site.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now