Talk

Advanced search

First ever camping trip - What to take?

(12 Posts)
WhoAteMySnickers Tue 19-Jul-11 15:11:27

I've convinced a very reluctant DH that we should try camping. He camped a fair bit with 'the lads' when he was in his late teens (at Moto X events) but they did it very basic, and it was a means of cheap accommodation for the events they attended, rather than camping for fun iyswim? Think 6 lads in mouldy sleeping bags squashed up on the floor of an ancient, leaking, four man tent in a field with no facilities and you'd be on the right lines....

So to make our first ever camping trip enjoyable for me, DH and DS aged 8, I've picked a lovely site, not too far from home in case it rains. I think I'm going to be a fair weather camper with plenty of facilities, and we are starting out with two nights as a taster.

What would you experienced campers recommend that we take as a minimum, bearing in mind that if we all hate it we won't have wasted too much money. I've thought of the following stuff:

Tent (obviously) grin Looking at the Outwell Virginia 5?
Airbeds
Duvets and Pillows, or should we really get sleeping bags?
Folding chairs
Camping stove - which type? and pans and kettle
Cool Box
Torch/Lights

Obviously if we love it and become regulars we'll then splash out on some decent kit bell tent and extras to make it more luxurious, but is what I've listed enough to get us started for our first weekend or are there other things that really make a difference to the whole experience or that you just couldn't manage without?

Thanks!

TeriHatchetJob Tue 19-Jul-11 15:13:49

a satnav to get you to the nearest hotel with hot showers and comfy beds. Just my opinion.................;)

WhoAteMySnickers Tue 19-Jul-11 15:16:15

Haha, yes DH has got that one well and truly covered!

ENormaSnob Tue 19-Jul-11 17:57:01

We had our first weekend last month.

We took:-

tent
airbeds
sleeping bags
water carrier
folding chairs
table
wind up lantern
head torches
washing up bowl plus tea towel etc.
Plates, cups, knives, forks, spoons
cool bag
food
wine
cooker
clothes
toiletries
outdoor and indoor toys
pack of cards

WhoAteMySnickers Wed 20-Jul-11 14:32:14

Thanks ENorma, I knew I'd missed something vital - a water carrier! And the wine is definitely on the list of things to take. Going to buy our tent this weekend, I'm so excited!

GooseyLoosey Wed 20-Jul-11 14:34:39

The address of the nearest B&B.

Sorry, am well known for my hatred of camping - hope you have a great time.

SheepAreSuper Wed 20-Jul-11 16:03:00

Things I take (that I've not seen mentioned):
Towels
First Aid Kit including plenty of anti bacterial gel
Mallet for tent pegs.
Plastic backed rug or two as a super cheap alternative to tent carpet
Storage box for food or use cool box (as much as a love sheep they are buggers for breaking into the tent for open food).

As for cooker. The twin hob with grill efforts are useful but with the gas bottle too are cumbersome. We take two of the single stoves in cases which run of easily obtainable small canisters.

ENormaSnob Wed 20-Jul-11 16:32:47

We don't have a proper camp cooker but took two of those tiny fold out ones that attatch to a tiny gas bottle. It was fine for a weekend.

We are off again this weekend so will add to the list.

What tent are you getting?

Slubberdegullion Wed 20-Jul-11 20:07:54

this is quite a good list

timetosmile Wed 20-Jul-11 20:09:57

Have a look at the ukcampsite website, lots of good advice there.
In case no-one else says it, take lots of duct tape and far warmer bedding than you think you need (or else several layers of clothes for sleeping in)

DownyEmerald Fri 22-Jul-11 22:21:22

What we call sacrificial towels - v. useful for mopping up/wiping stuff when if it rains.

TastyMuffins Fri 22-Jul-11 22:34:09

Sacrificial towels - love it! Now I have a name for those manly old towels I hang on to and take on ski trips to wipe down my boots and skis or to stuff the home made washable inco mats for when DS wet the bed or as a door mat when camping etc etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now