Talk

Advanced search

lets talk camping!

(3 Posts)
gemma4d Mon 18-Jul-11 20:41:15

1st apologies for typing, fussy baby sleeping on 1 arm.

OH and I have 2 kids; 3.5yr and 4months. We live in Guernsey. Last holiday to UK cost a fortune, £440 for the caravan alone, 1 week (Hoseasons site) and that was out of school holidays (cant do that much longer). So now we are thinking of buying a tent.

I've been looking and an average cost (Jersey/Dorset/Herm) seems to be £30-40 per night for the family. France is cheaper, but so are the French mobile homes. Is this right, and isn't it a bit pricey given the trouble of pitching then living in a tent?

I'm looking at a 4 person tent (2 bedrooms and a fair size living area, Coleman Lakeside Deluxe 4) - it has been suggested that we should get a 6 man. Is this good advice or overkill? We will have the car with us.

How many years might we get out a tent? Hard to say I know but I have no idea. Probably only use it once or twice a year but really not sure!

Thanks!

greenapples Mon 18-Jul-11 21:19:08

I woul personally look at a 6 man tent - it gives somewhere to sit when it rains.
Have you looked at Rozel campsite on Jersey? We had a long weekend (3 nights) for £52 total. They don't charge for the little ones - we had a 3 year old and a 1 year old.

IloveJudgeJudy Mon 18-Jul-11 22:33:40

Would second getting a 6-man tent. Would go to France for the weather, I think you at least need to go south of the Loire.

You should get at least 6 years out of a tent if you're only really using it for two weeks per year. It's the sun that eventually makes the polyester break down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now