Talk

Advanced search

Any Outwell Florida 8 owners/experience out there?

(10 Posts)
Kingsroadie Mon 18-Jul-11 15:46:43

We are thinking of getting one. Think it looks great but just wanted to see if anyone has any experience of them? We would ideally like polycotton but too expensive as we aren't sure how often we will camp and can always upgrade if we want to. We would like lots of living space in case it rains (likely!) and I like the tunnel tent style - it seems to maximise living space.

On another note - are outwell the top notch tents? (apart from the ludicrously expensive French/Dutch ones) They seem to be on quality and durability etc.

Thanks!

Bumpinthenight Mon 18-Jul-11 16:54:38

Outwell tents come highly recommended.

I wanted a Florida 6 but settled on an Arkansas 5 and it is great for the 3 of us. Loads of space and I can see out of 3 of the 4 sides to keep an eye on DD.

I think the canopy is great - I love being able to sit in the tent with the door open when it rains.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Mon 18-Jul-11 16:57:57

I think it looks a lovely tent.

We have a Kampa Filey 6 which is very similar in design, bedrooms at the back, massive living area then attached porch at the front. The design really works for us, we love having the enclosed area for shade, shelter when it's raining. Not sure about the Florida, but on ours the whole front zips back which gives an amazing feeling of space.

Kingsroadie Mon 18-Jul-11 17:39:50

Thanks guys! We originally were looking at the Florida 6 (there are three of us and a dog but we plan in having 2 more children so the 8 will last us) but the campsite we are going to has a limit of 4mx6.5 (Florida 8 is 6.70 long but we think we'll get away with it or my husband says he'll modify it by 20cm if they insist (ie tie the end up or something?!). Anyway the Florida 6 is a lot wider than the 8 as it has a walk in wardrobe between the 2 bedrooms. And I quite fancied it but as it doesn't fit the campsite we are going to and the 8 will eventually sleep more people anyway I think it may be just as well. Vango amazon 6 also out as too big. Think also outwell Montana. Not sure about Vermont. But tbh there probably isn't much in them anyway so it's making the decision for us!

I have read lots of fab reviews of outwells so am quite keen on them...

Nikkid21 Thu 21-Jul-11 16:35:07

We have a 2009 Florida 6 which is 5.25m & 6.4m. It's a fab tent but a beast to put up. We ony use it when we go for a week or more and have a Kampa Frinton 4 for weekends.

No Florida 8 reviews on ukcampsite yet but florida 6 reviews can be seen here

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/Outwell-Florida-6/832

ours is photo 6 with the extra awning on the front.

Kingsroadie Thu 21-Jul-11 18:23:06

Thank you! Yes have had a look at the reviews - nice to see the tents up too. Have been looking at other options too - just not sure. Part of me says just get a six man but then another part says you might be glad of the extra sleeping room for when we hopefully have more children, and in case anyone else comes with us... Hmm. They do look like a big job to put up though.

Have looked at Nevada XL, The Montana 6 which is unbelievably annoyingly 15 cm too wide at 4.15m, the Florida 5, Arkansas 5 and Salinas L which are a 5 man (but then I think we may as well get a 6 man!). It's quite a bore about the size restriction! Is that a standard pitch size does anyone know? 4 x 6.5m? Then at least we know we'll be fine for the future trips!

Doyouthinktheysaurus Thu 21-Jul-11 19:07:29

4X6.5 is quite a small pitch size ime. The majority of 'family sized' tents would be bigger than that.

Camping and caravan club sites are 9x5m and alot of sites don't even specify tent size. I would probably look at a different site if I were you.

Our tents is 5 x 7 and we have never had a problem anywhere we have been.

Go for the tent that suits your needs. We saw a Florida with a canopy on the front last trip we had....that was a really big set up! It did seem to take them all day to pitch but looked great and loads of space.

Kingsroadie Thu 21-Jul-11 19:51:31

Thanks doyou. Okay good to know that it's not a standard size pitch... the thing is that my husband really wants to go and we have paid now. It's a beautiful site I think in Padstow, right on the coast, with direct access to the beach and views over the bay. Think there are only 24 pitches and a lot of regulars. Anyway he is set on going which is a bit of a pain in the ass given we might now have to buy a smaller tent than originally planned!

Kingsroadie Mon 25-Jul-11 14:42:16

Still hunting! Are steel poles much sturdier than fibreglass? I assume so and of course given the British weather it is likely to be windy at some point... Weight isn't an issue as we will always drive.

Anyone have any knowledge of Vango, Gelert, Sprayway tents? Thanks again!

Nikkid21 Mon 25-Jul-11 21:52:28

No knowledge of those brands as I have my Florida 6 & a kampa frinton 4.

I prefer steel poles as the feel a lot more secure. Both tents have stood up to serious winds which have snapped the poles on fibreglass tents around us.

The kampa is a hybrid with steel pole uprights but flexi fibreglass poles on the horizontal roof bits. It's a lot easier to get up than the Florida.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now