Talk

Advanced search

Lovely French campsites/camping grounds etc en route from UK to South West France

(4 Posts)
venetianred Sat 16-Jul-11 21:40:23

We have made this crazy, exciting spur-of-the moment decision and just bought a campervan today for a trip for five weeks to France leaving next Friday.

We plan to go on the 'Chunnel Train' then head for St Nazaire area and head south ending up in the Landes Forest then near Bidart. We may then go past Carcassone to Avignon before returning to England....however would love to hear from people who have travelled this route.

We do realise there are 'aires' on the way for campervans, but would love to hear about anyone's 'little gems' - especially lovely national parks, charming towns, and especially any campgrounds you can really recommend.

I do speak some French so that will help, but have never visited any of these areas except for Avignon.

We are travelling with our two children - 5yr old daughter and 2yr old son.

Thank you.

blowbroth Sun 17-Jul-11 11:16:15

WOW ! How exciting, what a brilliant trip. I'm also off in a few days time but I travel straight down the middle ( towing my caravan with my daughter) to St Tropez so can't help with your route.
However , I would advise that you don't stop overnight in the aires as they are not the safest places and there are times when thieves have piped 'knock out' fumes in through a window and then steal whatever they can. Sorry to bit a bit grim but it's much better to come off the autoroute into a camp site. There are loads around within 15/20 mins of the autoroutes , often with swimming pools.
If you find yourself around this campsite I can highly recommend it. Really lovely spot , great pool, a few farm animals and a lovely Dutch couple running it.
Bon Voyage!

overthemill Mon 18-Jul-11 10:45:06

not sure exactly what route you are going but we love the town of fougeres for a stopover. the most amazing fairytale castle Its in normandy but we do it each year we go down to sw france

frenchfancy Mon 18-Jul-11 16:03:16

We like this place:

http://en.campinglajoletiere.fr/

It is only about 10 mins from junction 7.1 (thats between junction 7 and 8) of the A83, which runs from Nantes down towards Bordeaux.

It is a small site but with a heated swimming pool and it is in a lovely forest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now